Sponsored

Would you buy another 3.0L EcoDiesel? Why? Why not?

Bluesharp

First Name
Bluesharp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara diesel , 1966 MGB
Occupation
Prison dentist...no, seriously 😷 RETIRED!!!
I picked mine up one month ago today. 2275 miles so far. Love it. Adding a throttle controller really makes it come alive. Trying to talk my wife into one when she's done with her X5d.

20211015_090809.jpg

20211031_141617.jpg

Silver00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Diesel
It’s the perfect motor for this platform. So fun to drive in any conditions.

I slapped on the Derringer tuner and Pedalmonster and it turns my 37’s like a beast.

IMO there really is no argument against it except for the expense and availability of diesel in your market.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
People talk about the diesel getting hot, but my 2.0 JLUR has gotten so hot that I’ve burned my hand popping the hood open on multiple occasions - never towed with it.. Ive owned a 3.0 diesel Grand Cherokee which had a smaller grill/opening that I towed between 2.5K and 5K trailers without ever coming close to over heating. I would think about how we intend to use whichever vehicle you choose, because in stock form they are all plenty capable, it’s when we start modifying (lifts, tires, bumpers, winches, lights, etc.) that we alter the manufacture specs and we cause the problems.

Sure there are always some issues in the manufacturing process that unfortunately make its way to the consumer, but overall the JL/JT 3.0 diesels are stout and pretty amazing in their own right.

Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Considering canceling a 4xe order and getting a diesel. I get that it's fun. I know it's got some reliability concerns. How is the noise?

I mean: It's a brick so there's wind noise and in stock Rubicon tires there's road noise, but how is the engine noise? Fun noticeable or you really notice it noticeable.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I would not buy again. Although I've had NO problems, it seems that many non-owners have reported that the engine is extremely problematic. And...I tend to trust people who have not even driven an EcoDiesel over my own personal experience. It's the way of the internet. :)

The last engine that Jeepers found dead-on reliable was the 3.8 liter minivan motor used until the 2012 model year. Why can't they bring that back?

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Considering canceling a 4xe order and getting a diesel. I get that it's fun. I know it's got some reliability concerns. How is the noise?

I mean: It's a brick so there's wind noise and in stock Rubicon tires there's road noise, but how is the engine noise? Fun noticeable or you really notice it noticeable.
its mild. Only heard at all at low speeds under moderate throttle. Get it

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer

There is good interior sound dampening so the only time you hear the clatter is when you are pulling out from a complete stop or at vey slow speeds or in the garage. At higher speeds, the wind noise overcomes the engine noise and you hardly hear the it. If you go for the Alpine audio option, still better as you get a sound dampening windshield too I believe.
But I personally like the clatter.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD

If you roll the windows down and drive down an alley or fast food drive through you can hear the diesel noise . Highway driving is decently quiet ..

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I like her 21 JLURD enough that I ordered one too. Supposed to ship 1/4

The last engine that Jeepers found dead-on reliable was the 3.8 liter minivan motor used until the 2012 model year. Why can't they bring that back?
Yeah, my 09 JK is at 223K, still needs 2500 miles to go through a quart of oil.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

The diesel comes equipped with sound-deadening insulation in the cab in the engine compartment firewall area. Several people who have rode in my Jeep says how nicel and quiet the cabin is as opposed to the earlier model JK's not even knowing that I have a diesel. They are further surprised when I tell them that it is a diesel. In my opinion having driven and owned both, the diesel come standard with many more standard options which make the entire Jeep Wrangler driving experience superior to the gas models.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
The diesel comes equipped with sound-deadening insulation in the cab in the engine compartment firewall area. Several people who have rode in my Jeep says how nicel and quiet the cabin is as opposed to the earlier model JK's not even knowing that I have a diesel. They are further surprised when I tell them that it is a diesel. In my opinion having driven and owned both, the diesel come standard with many more standard options which make the entire Jeep Wrangler driving experience superior to the gas models.
I built one and have it out for pricing to my dealer. Maybe I’ll have it by July.

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
I wouldn't have bought a JL if it weren't diesel. I had a 2013 JK 4 cars ago and loved it, but grew tired of the "cheapness" of it. Since then it was a new 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit, used 2012 E63, then a new 2017 XC90. I missed having a Wrangler but thought I would never buy another. The JL fixed the cheapness factor. When they started putting the 3.0 in them I changed my mind. Ordered a 21 JLRD last summer and have loved every minute of it, I'm addicted to the torque and the 25 MPG with 35"s is a bonus but I really don't care what mileage I get. I'd still be happy if it was only 15 MPG. I considered "upgrading" to the 392 but I felt silly spending $60k on a Wrangler, to spec a 392 like mine it would be $85K! For that money I would just get a new GLC63, that's a no brainer for me. Probably 1 in 100 Eco diesels has issues for all we know. I'm sure OP has moved on by now, but I would 100% recommend the diesel is the only way to go if you are considering it.
Sponsored