Sponsored

Would you buy another 2.0T? Why? Why not?

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
If you're sensitive to unrefined engine noise, pass on the 2.0T. As 4 cylinder engines go, the 2.0T is the worst sounding by a fair bit. It has a loud whine to it and is very loud/rough during a cold start.

I enjoy a nice sounding engine as much as the next person. I do appreciate a good sounding 4 cylinder. The FCA 2.0T is not one of them.

The 2.0T is a strong running motor, no doubt there. I owned a 3.6 JKU before getting the 2.0T JL. But for me, if I had it to do over, I'd choose the V6 again.
Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Since you posted this both about the 2.0T and the 3.0 Diesel, I would say that the choice lies in whether or not the $4500 extra price for the diesel is worth it. With a diesel, you get an extra 150lb/ft of torque, Rubicon axles, and the upgraded 8HP75 transmission (plus a few other things, like better cooling and such).

I see that you went with the 4xe, which is another $3500 over the diesel price.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
If you're sensitive to unrefined engine noise, pass on the 2.0T. As 4 cylinder engines go, the 2.0T is the worst sounding by a fair bit. It has a loud whine to it and is very loud/rough during a cold start.

I enjoy a nice sounding engine as much as the next person. I do appreciate a good sounding 4 cylinder. The FCA 2.0T is not one of them.

The 2.0T is a strong running motor, no doubt there. I owned a 3.6 JKU before getting the 2.0T JL. But for me, if I had it to do over, I'd choose the V6 again.
2.0 sound with factory exhaust
Idle = meh... quiet enough after warm up
Part throttle = Loud, almost like a 2-stroke diesel or a tractor combined with turbine whine
WOT = vacuum leak

3.6 JK sound with aftermarket exhaust
Anything above idle = strangled goat

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday, I drove my 2.0T JLUR about 860 miles- from Dallas, TX back home to Carbondale, CO. I reset the trip computer in Raton, NM to check my gas mileage as I cut diagonally across rural Colorado attempting to get home before dark. Hurrying to get back with all of my aggressive uphill, then braking, starting/stopping... it still got 21.6 mpg- that includes going over 12,000 ft. Independence Pass. I'm pretty happy considering this is running 315/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the Mopar lift.

This is the "smallest" engine I've ever owned. It has been nothing less than great.
Carbondale has some nice places to grab a meal. I like vacationing to a ranch in your neighboring town, Red Stone. You must be familiar with the natural hotsprings on the Avalanche Ranch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you buy another 2.0T? Why? Why not? Pool

BB3

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
Carbondale has some nice places to grab a meal. I like vacationing to a ranch in your neighboring town, Red Stone. You must be familiar with the natural hotsprings on the Avalanche Ranch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you buy another 2.0T? Why? Why not? Pool
Redstone is great, Avalanche Ranch and theIr hot springs are very nice and a unique setting. There are so many exceptional spots in the area for Jeepā€™s, bikes, hikes and fly fishing.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Redstone is great, Avalanche Ranch and theIr hot springs are very nice and a unique setting. There are so many exceptional spots in the area for Jeepā€™s, bikes, hikes and fly fishing.
Last time I was there, was in January 2018. About several months before getting a Jeep was even a blip on my radar. We rented a grand Cherokee unlimited, but it had a lousy set of all weather tires on it that were horrible in the little bit of snow that we saw there. The locals said that it was a rarity to have no snow built up by that time of year, but fortunately a small storm brought in just enough for us to spend a day on snow mobiles.

One of my best memories is sitting alone in the upper hotspring pool, in the middle of the night, looking at that snow capped mountain that overlooks the area, while a calm blanket of snow fell.

Here's a pic that I took of the mountain, while hiking above Carbondale.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you buy another 2.0T? Why? Why not? 20180109_141845

One year later, I'm a jeep owner and was amazed at the sheer number of trail heads that we kept going by without even knowing it. Next time I go, I'm definitely not flying. Lol

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks, all. It looks like Iā€™ll be getting the 2.0T but in 4xe form. Most of my driving in under 20 miles round trip so Iā€™ll probably live in electric much of the time, and have that big 370ft-lbs of hybrid torque when I need it. Wheeling in full electric sounds perfect too.

I decided to lease the 4xe given the newness of the tech.
Perfect solution - gets you the eco of EV for those short trips, and turbo power when you go up to altitude on longer trips.

The only thing better would be a 392 and a "free gas for life" card.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

It's a bit of a sewing machine at startup when cold but once warmed up never an issue.

BB3

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
Last time I was there, was in January 2018. About several months before getting a Jeep was even a blip on my radar. We rented a grand Cherokee unlimited, but it had a lousy set of all weather tires on it that were horrible in the little bit of snow that we saw there. The locals said that it was a rarity to have no snow built up by that time of year, but fortunately a small storm brought in just enough for us to spend a day on snow mobiles.

One of my best memories is sitting alone in the upper hotspring pool, in the middle of the night, looking at that snow capped mountain that overlooks the area, while a calm blanket of snow fell.

Here's a pic that I took of the mountain, while hiking above Carbondale.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you buy another 2.0T? Why? Why not? 20180109_141845

One year later, I'm a jeep owner and was amazed at the sheer number of trail heads that we kept going by without even knowing it. Next time I go, I'm definitely not flying. Lol
Be careful. If you come back here, you may not want to go home!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful. If you come back here, you may not want to go home!
I was hooked before my jeep was even in the equation. My next visit might turn into you having a new Jeep buddy and neighbor. šŸ˜†

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It's a bit of a sewing machine at startup when cold but once warmed up never an issue.
Not a sewing machine - more like a small diesel. Someone unfamiliar with the motor will think something is wrong immediately after cold start. It smooths out after a few minutes however and I like the motor thereafter.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Not a sewing machine - more like a small diesel. Someone unfamiliar with the motor will think something is wrong immediately after cold start. It smooths out after a few minutes however and I like the motor thereafter.
I got my windows tinted last week. The guy asked me if my 2.0 was a diesel :). When you start it in a stall with walls fairly close, it's a noisy engine at startup that's for sure. But it runs great, burns no oil, and the fact that it's a little noisier than some engines doesn't bother as long as it's "normal" for this engine.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I'll admit that I was a little skeptical of the 2.0 T, even though I test drove one and thought it had a surprising amount of pep. After three months, I'm thinking this is a really fine motor. The tiny displacement doesn't hinder its performance one bit. And I appreciate the decent gas mileage. I'm averaging a little over 25mpg so far.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Naw, it doesn't have the distinctive diesel injector clatter that you can only get at those high rail pressures.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I guess no one has spent much time with a flat fender 4 cylinder flat head. Can't get much more agricultural than that. They're so impressive at how they handle obstacles without a big lift and tires. Loads of you tube videos showing you how it's done. Nice...

Oh, and yep, I'd get another 2.0 Turbo hands down. Great motor at 31K now, 3 years in as a daily driver. Wonderful at altitude, too. No regrets at 12,000 feet - all Jeep. And that's with three guys and their gear - we're all over 6 foot, 220 lbs, too. 9 hours to get to Colorado from Kansas and no complaints either. All good... We did the same trip in a '71 CJ5 with the 304. Sure we were each 100lbs lighter but uncomfortable and burned through a tanker truck of fuel to get there. Ha!
Sponsored