Sponsored

Would you buy another 2.0T? Why? Why not?

DSW21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Agree on the 35s. May also be tire pressure (I drive at full PSI). I also like to draft and drive topless...if I wanted to be a lap leader with a brick profile, I'd probably be under 25 MPG.
Boom, that'll do it. I definitely drive at full PSI
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Love the 2.0 myself but curious how others with the 2.0 are getting 20+ mpg. Donā€™t have a heavy foot or anything and I consistently get 15-17 mpg on about 70% highway driving. Running 35s on an otherwise stock JLUR and Iā€™ve never seen anything in the 20+ range
My 2.0 is stock, and I get about 22MPG on average. This is commuting to work and short trips around the hood.

I drove it from Denver to Co Springs and back, and got an indicated 30MPG. Which is probably more like 27-28 in reality, but that was a shock to see this thing turn in that kind of highway mileage.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Love the 2.0 myself but curious how others with the 2.0 are getting 20+ mpg. Donā€™t have a heavy foot or anything and I consistently get 15-17 mpg on about 70% highway driving. Running 35s on an otherwise stock JLUR and Iā€™ve never seen anything in the 20+ range
One of the biggest factors between fuel mileage differences is whether you have a stock Sport, Willys, Sahara, etc. or a Rubicon. The Rubicon will get worse mileage due to it's lower axle gear ratio (4.10) vs. the others higher and more fuel efficient friendly 3.45 gear ratio.

Then add on larger/heavier wheel and tire combos, armor, etc. and the MPG's will go down. My stock 2019 JLUR with the 2.0 consistently averages 21 mpg (driven by my wife) while my modified and heavy 2018 JLUR with the 2.0 (driven by my 17 yr old son) is lucky to average 16. When I drive the 2018, I can average about 17ish. I'm having 4.88 gears installed in the 2018 next week, it'll be interesting to see what happens to it's average MPG.

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
I'm having 4.88 gears installed in the 2018 next week, it'll be interesting to see what happens to it's average MPG.
I'd be interested in your feedback after you do. Seems most of the regearing talk is around the 3.6.

Sponsored

MattMc123

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Altitude
28K miles in Colorado and pulling a trailer, I would do the 2.0T in a heartbeat. Knock on wood no issues and 23-24 mpg with lots of towing power is a winner for me.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I'm having 4.88 gears installed in the 2018 next week, it'll be interesting to see what happens to it's average MPG.
Nice! On a more conservative note, you can expect 1-2mpg (maybe more) back in the city and 2-3mpg back on the hwy. I think youā€™ll notice that your engine will run much smoother, especially in the higher gears. Itā€™ll pull easier too.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! On a more conservative note, you can expect 1-2mpg (maybe more) back in the city and 2-3mpg back on the hwy. I think youā€™ll notice that your engine will run much smoother, especially in the higher gears. Itā€™ll pull easier too.
That's what I was hoping for! Also hope to see 8th gear a little more frequently too! TBH, the re-gear was pretty far down my list. But once I put on Nitto Trail Grapplers, MAN are those things heavy! Thanks for the info. :like:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I just posted a near-identical question over in the EcoDiesel forum.

Iā€™ve got a 2020 JLUR with a 3.6L and a manual. I love the Jeep and itā€™s perfectly configuredā€¦ except for the drivetrain given where I live.

I live at 5200 feet, and routinely go to 8000+ on weekends. This is where the naturally aspirated 3.6L really falls down. The eastbound climb up Vail Pass on I70 has me in 3rd gear, winding out the engine just to stay at highway speeds, uphill, at altitude. I LOVE a good manual transmission, but this one just isnā€™t. Much ado has been made of the clutch issues, but even that aside the shifter does not add to the experience.

I can get out of my 2020 3.6L and into a 2021 2.0T relatively easy. But should I?

My Jeep usually gets driven long distances on weekends, but I do take several short trips during the week as I usually commute by bus, or work from home.

Iā€™d love to know if youā€™d buy a 2.0T again, and if so, why? If you wouldnā€™t buy it again, why?

Any help is much appreciated!
I meander the exact same altitudes in Utah. Should you get into a 2.0t? IMO, absolutely!

Altitude is simply a non-issue with that engine, unlike the 3.6. Yes, technically it does lose a little power at altitude as well but it's small enough to be completely negated when combined with the 8-speed auto trans. I sincerely can't feel altitude, it always feels the same. I'm also a manual trans guy, this is my first auto trans since the late 80's. No regrets. It's a great trans and it really allows modern JL features to stretch their legs. ACC will take you from highway speeds to a dead stop and back again, SSC just works with no care about what gear you're in, some modes such as Off Road + will automatically change shift points and there's still manual shifting when you want it. It's a smart, beefy auto trans. I must say, I'm really appreciating the auto trans in the rocky, clutch burning off-road terrain of Utah.

There are only two things you might not care for in the 2.0t. The first is the sound of the engine. It's not impressive as engines go, even though you have the same or more power than the 3.6. The second thing is the turbo power curve if you're not used to that. It's punchier as opposed to smooth. Some would translate that into "more fun" and others translate it into "high strung". My counterpoint is it's consistent and altitude doesn't matter. I got used to the turbo power curve and adapted rather quickly. Now, I'll take a turbo power curve over power varying with altitude any day. I wouldn't call it perfect, I'll likely prefer the power curve of a full EV but I don't think we're there yet. I didn't go with the 4xe because it's too new and EV range is too low to matter much to me, plus you end up lugging around a 500lb battery when you're not in EV mode, which is how I'll be operating the vast majority of the time.

I haven't driven a 4xe but I would be concerned with the power curve difference between full EV mode and full turbo ICE mode. They are inherently different. Not sure if I'd notice that and find it annoying. Or if they are simulating a turbo power curve in EV mode so it feels the same, which would also be annoying. A 100% EV with a smooth power curve and an on-board purpose built high-efficiency ICE generator just makes more sense to me. That's how diesel trains work.

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
I'm very happy with the 2.0T in my 2021 Rubicon. I drove 1281 miles from Seattle to SoCal, down highway 395 at higher elevations and got 26.5 MPGs, and that included several side trips on some dirt roads / forest roads. One trip took me to 9500' elevation to a high sierra lake, and no issues whatsoever. As for my Jeep JLUR...it is stock (for now at least)

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be interested in your feedback after you do. Seems most of the regearing talk is around the 3.6.
My son just picked up the Jeep from the shop. No issues on the install, lockers work, no odd sounds. Prior to the 4.88 re-gear, my son was averaging 16.1 mpg. He used the Tazer to set the new axle gear ratio and reset the MPG counter.

On his drive home, he said the acceleration was better. But since he has to take it easy for the first 500 miles, it was hard for him to get a good feel for lower gearing. Long term, I'll see what kind of improvement he gets with fuel mileage. I'll be able to drive it myself in mid-July, so I'll be able to give a better assessment of the re-gear then.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Iā€™m in Colorado as well and would definitely do the 2.0 again. However, today I got to check out a 392 and it was amazing! If I had the money 392 for sure.

BB3

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021
Yesterday, I drove my 2.0T JLUR about 860 miles- from Dallas, TX back home to Carbondale, CO. I reset the trip computer in Raton, NM to check my gas mileage as I cut diagonally across rural Colorado attempting to get home before dark. Hurrying to get back with all of my aggressive uphill, then braking, starting/stopping... it still got 21.6 mpg- that includes going over 12,000 ft. Independence Pass. I'm pretty happy considering this is running 315/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the Mopar lift.

This is the "smallest" engine I've ever owned. It has been nothing less than great.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Yesterday, I drove my 2.0T JLUR about 860 miles- from Dallas, TX back home to Carbondale, CO. I reset the trip computer in Raton, NM to check my gas mileage as I cut diagonally across rural Colorado attempting to get home before dark. Hurrying to get back with all of my aggressive uphill, then braking, starting/stopping... it still got 21.6 mpg- that includes going over 12,000 ft. Independence Pass. I'm pretty happy considering this is running 315/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the Mopar lift.

This is the "smallest" engine I've ever owned. It has been nothing less than great.
Impressive!
Sponsored