Sponsored

Would you buy a Jeep with no removable parts?

Would you buy a Wrangler if things weren’t removable?

• Total voters

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So some of the other threads have gotten me thinking. There has been a huge debate about 2-door vs 4-door and what makes a Wrangler a “true Wrangler”. So I think I already know the answer to this, but would you buy a Wrangler (either 2-door or 4-door) if there were no removable tops or doors? If the top couldn’t be removed but they offered a sun/moon roof would that be ok? I felt like this would be an interesting topic of discussion.

So for me, I don’t think I would’ve purchased a Wrangler if you couldn’t remove the doors and/or top.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
It would be called a 4Runner and I would just buy the Toyota at that point. Taking away the advantage of the top and doors just makes it every other SUV out there. No thank you.

OP
OP
TA1ton

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Shooting or Jeeping; yeah...that’s kind of the way I feel about it. It would lose a huge chunk of what makes it a Jeep.

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Yeah, taking the top and doors off is my favorite part. No way I buy one if that’s not possible

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If I didn't want removeable stuff or a 4x4, I would have kept our Liberty. Customization is a big draw to the Wrangler crowd. (or so I'm finding out)

Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
But none of those have solid axles. Solid axles make a Wrangler more capable offroad and also easy to modify the suspension and add bigger tires. Try doing that with a 4runner or a Liberty.

Don't get me wrong, I still want the remova le parts, but for me, solid axles are more important.

OP
OP
TA1ton

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@LLANERO; that’s a very interesting point of view! I think many of the folks on this forum are very thankful for the ease of suspension upgrades.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
my first jeep was an XJ cherokee. still have it, and i love it.
so yes, i would still buy one if the top and doors weren't removable.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
So some of the other threads have gotten me thinking. There has been a huge debate about 2-door vs 4-door and what makes a Wrangler a “true Wrangler”. So I think I already know the answer to this, but would you buy a Wrangler (either 2-door or 4-door) if there were no removable tops or doors? If the top couldn’t be removed but they offered a sun/moon roof would that be ok? I felt like this would be an interesting topic of discussion.

So for me, I don’t think I would’ve purchased a Wrangler if you couldn’t remove the doors and/or top.
Travis @TA1ton : by no means do I mean to belittle your question.

My personal answer to this would be, if I may make an analogy, "what if we replaced financial expert Warren Buffet with a computer?"

To the obvious point, it wouldn't be Mr. Buffet, or, at least given the state of the art in Artificial Intelligence, be able to mimic or surpass the human factor Mr. Buffet brings to the table.

So too, IMHO, would this analogy apply if customization of the Wrangler was in large part withdrawn. A large part of the market segment attracted to Wranglers would be disenfranchised.

I realize the question was just hypothetical. If I may, I'd like to share a quick anecdote. I don't know if you or others have noticed this, but the video commercial space (TV, Internet) for SUVs has begun showing a lot of SUVs we'd normally not associate with such terrain tackling off road obstacles. I think I saw one for Kia that first came to my attention on the forum, and another the other day, for all things but a Lexus.

Manufacturing competitors to FCA have taken notice of its sales and have tried to lean/position their products as off road capable. But as long as the Wrangler remains an adult toy that you can accessorize for, (and a truly off road vehcile) with a vast aftermarket from which to accessorize, it will stand out.

I've joked, for those of you who raised girls, that the makers of the American Girl doll took their "play" in accessorizing these dolls to the nth degree from Jeep.

OP
OP
TA1ton

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@RussJeep1; don’t worry, you are in no way belittling my question...you are in fact bringing up my main point to my question: what is the point of a Wrangler without the things that make it a Wrangler?

I too have noticed that with the resurgence of interest in the SUV market, many manufacturers are indeed attempting to get the off-road buyers to purchase their “soft-roaders”. Which brings me to another point...as long as the Wrangler holds on the the features that make it a Wrangler, there will be no true competition from other manufacturers.

But yes...completely hypothetical question meant to bring about interesting discussions. And I believe it has. :like:

Sponsored

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I have a two door JL. If they stopped making a two, never mind keeping the removable doors & top, I would have looked at the "smallest cab" pick-up trucks such as, the Tacoma TRD Pro/Off Road and Colorado ZR2

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
To me, one of the cool factors about owning a Jeep is the heritage of the brand. And to their credit, FCA seems to really get that. Look at all the old-school military Jeeps placed as easter eggs around the JL (steering column, front window, on every wheel, etc). It's for this reason I think the removable parts are absolutely critical. Take for instance the fold-down window. Unlike the removable tops and doors, most Jeep owners will never actually fold down the window. But its a big deal knowing that just like every Jeep sold since 1941, yours has this capability.

For that reason I'm of the camp that all Wranglers should always have removable parts. And for people who don't want these features but want a solid off-roading vehicle, the Trailhawk versions of the other Jeep models are fine options they should consider.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I would just start buying old ones.
Removable Top and Doors are important to me.
My jeeps will forever have a soft top.
Never a Hard top...and Hell no way in hell I would ever entertain the Power top BS.

sgauvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
Bought my first jeep last summer and I would have bought it even if nothing was removable. I chose the wrangler for its off road capabilities, aftermarket support, ease for modification and overall badass look. Plus, the new JL interior was a great bonus, coming from a bmw 435, that made the transition way easier.

Also I live up north in Canada so there is snow at least 7 months a year. I just have the chance to remove the top a couple times per year.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Honestly as it is I don't like the way the new JLU's look without the TOP only because it looks too much like a incomplete vehicle. They almost seem like they forgot to weld the outer sheet metal to the structural metal. I preferred them when they looked more like roll bars. The TJ's looked great without tops.

HOWEVER. I still prefer the wrangler wheel base and turn radius to that of our 4Runner. Not to mention the Solid Front Axle is better. . The 4 Runner is more limited in that regard.
Sponsored