ENDVR

ENDVR

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKUR, 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Thanks for all the positive comments, this makes me feel much better. A couple more questions?

How can I check and see if the TSBs have been done?

Can anyone share a link or pics of the problematic welds?

My mother in law has a 2018 Sport and she had some steering issues and still complains about it from time to time. As far as I know she had the stabilzier replaced but that is all. Did the sports have the problematic steeering box as well?

I know I see a lot of complaints on steering but to be honest mine will be probably be changed pretty quick, I had PSC on the JK and fell in love!! While I know its not safe I could drive with one finger at 95mph on 37s and beadlocks that were never properly "balanced" and offroad it was a dream to steer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ENDVR

ENDVR

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have two 2018's and love them both. Knock on wood, both have been trouble-free. My wife's was ordered in March of '18 and delivered in May of '18. It's a 3.6/8-speed auto 4-door Sport S. It has 37K miles on it now, and has only needed routine maintenance and new batteries. My wife commutes locally with it, but we do our fair share of trips down the shore in the summer time, along with road trips to VT and other places.

Mine has an October '18 build date, and it sat on a couple of dealer lots until I got it in July of '19. It's a 2.0T/8-speed auto 2-door Sport and has 27K miles now. Outside of routine maintenance, I had to fix the passenger side sun visor and have the passenger airbag connector repaired in the seat (under warranty when it was about a year old). It's my daily driver (local commute), but we take it to one of the offroad parks in PA at least once a year, and also down the shore in the summer.

Either powertrain gives good fuel mileage and though I've not had the steering boxes replaced, they are perfectly fine and ride well. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on an '18 if you found one with low miles that seems to be well-maintained and accident-free. Good luck on your search!

Have you compared the 2.0 Vs. 3.6 at elevation? I like the idea of a turbo here in Colorado? Before I bought the Cherokee Trailhawk I drove both the 2.0 and 3.2 and the 2.0 was peppier but ultimately went with the 3.2 for simplicity reasons. While it has plenty of power I do wish it had more on the low end and not have to get way up in RPMs to really get the power to pass sometimes.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a 2018 JLUR Oct build.

I had a severely bad steering experience in my JLUR. I fixed it myself, since Jeep really didn't have a cure for a couple years.

So, here are the problems I encountered.
Steering box, trackbar, steering damper, leaking rear axle seal, both visors broke.

My windshield also broke, but I wouldn't put that on Jeep any more than I'd put a flat tire on them.

The welds on my frame aren't great, but not like the examples we've seen here either.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I believe over the years and multiple TSBs the steering damper has changed multiple times, the track bar has changed, and the steering box went from aluminum to steel, and still has some revisions as well.

My 2020 was built with an updated damper and track bar, but still an aluminum box, which I had changed out to a steel one.

The aluminum box is raw, the steel one is painted black. That's the biggest thing to look for.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi-

I searched and couldn't really find what I was looking for so I wanted to make a post and get some opinions. I was dead set on ordering a new JLUR but it seems like every time I go and build one the pricing just keeps going up, So I have been looking around and I am seeing some pretty good deals on 2018 JLURs. I wanted to see what you all think about the 2018? I had 2013 JLUR and never had a single problem although I have heard the 2012-2014 was the worst 3.6 and had quite a few issues. I sold mine 5 months ago and have been regretting it since, it only had 80K miles on it and I had it pretty much dialed in. I THOUGHT I would be ok without having one but I am REALLY wanting a JL and living in the Denver area with access to hundreds of awesome trails isn't helping. :) Here's a pic of my 2013 just for fun.

I had two 2018 JLU Sahara's, both ran great with no major issues other than the occasional battery failure (which is pretty typical). Both had the 2..0L Both had under 30k when I traded them though.

Sponsored

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
had an early 2018... the hot issues back then were the stabilizer recall, the cruise control recall, the steering randomly locking up while driving, the bad frame welds, the defroster wire leaving the chat, etc.

ours needed 4 new ball joints at 10k miles and the LSD was starting to make noise so when the warranty was about to expire, it was sold to Carvana when they started overpaying for used cars

if you're going to hunt used anyway, get a 2020+ and skip the 2018.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Just picked up another ‘18 off another member on here at 106k miles and now sits at 109k after getting it home. PO addressed almost all the TSBs. Biggest issue now is the corrosion hinges but taking it in tomorrow before the warranty is up to get an idea of what can be done. I’d be happy with leaving the doors as is and getting some discounted half doors instead.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Have you compared the 2.0 Vs. 3.6 at elevation? I like the idea of a turbo here in Colorado? Before I bought the Cherokee Trailhawk I drove both the 2.0 and 3.2 and the 2.0 was peppier but ultimately went with the 3.2 for simplicity reasons. While it has plenty of power I do wish it had more on the low end and not have to get way up in RPMs to really get the power to pass sometimes.
Now that's a great question. I've read quite a few posts on here where owners say the 2.0 really does well at higher elevations. I'm on the East Coast, so the highest I've had either one has only been under 1,000' above sea level. I know you're much higher than that where you are.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Purchased mine in May 2018. Sport with V6 auto. Still on original battery. Aux failed about two years ago but didnt really cause any issues till lately (so i did bypass).

approx 25k now. No issues to date, which is one reason why decided to keep it instead of buying a new one. Hopefully it keeps on reliably truckin!

OP
OP
ENDVR

ENDVR

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that's a great question. I've read quite a few posts on here where owners say the 2.0 really does well at higher elevations. I'm on the East Coast, so the highest I've had either one has only been under 1,000' above sea level. I know you're much higher than that where you are.

Yea I live at 5800' and go above 10K' all the time during the summer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ENDVR

ENDVR

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just built a new one with the options that I am looking at used and it was around $30K more than what the used ones are with 25-50K miles.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I live at 5800' and go above 10K' all the time during the summer.
This is why I got the 2L i4 turbo... Living at 7,000ft (Flagstaff, AZ ) and playing at above 10K (CO, UT).
You might be on my journey, just a couple of years later... I also had a build up 2013 JKU with a 3.6L v6 manual & an older 3.6L auto (Both with 35s & 2.5lift). Those n/a v6 lose way too much power @ high elevations. AND forget trying to pass on the left lane going up hill over the passes... plus the v6 mpgs are horrible with any decent size tires and lift.

So imagine my excitement when Jeep decided to give "Mountain People" some better engine options. Unfortunately, for me they don't offer as many options for us OG 2 door Jeeper crowd. NOTE: I had JK 4 doors and wanted to go back to the old school style of my TJ with the 4.0L and the 2L turbo brought back the torque. It is powerful and responsive even at high elevations. So thankful to find a low mileage (11K) loaded up 2018 JL Rubicon. Traded the JKU and now have 42K on the JLR and its been fantastic. My 2018 JLR has the more powerful 48v e-torque option of which there are many benefits including brake assist, which allows for longer use of the original brakes and I love that 90 lb-ft of extra torque, gives me that TJ 4.0L feeling!!! Plus the shift point are seamless :). The MPG dont suffer much, I'm now running 37s with a 2.5 lift and average 20mpg!!!

The 2L turbo is basically a rocket sportscar on-road that gets good mileage and powerful off-roader. I've done 7-8 rated trails in MOAB (including Top of the World, Kane Creek, Metal Masher, etc.) as well as lots of the high elevation Colorado trails (Imogene, Black Bear, Mineral Creek, Engineering, Ophir, etc.) and the turbo is always there with power to climb and roll over obstacles. Just finished 2 round trips to South Padre Island in Texas, so lots of highway low elevation driving and the 2018 Jeep was a dream to drive all the way down to and on the beach.

The 2018 has been great. I have replaced parts based on my prior build experience based on my lift and tires (adj. trackbars f/r, adj. control arm f/r, stabilizer) plus a much needed improved muffler to make that 2L sound right. Now it sounds better than any v6 for sure!!!

Service items include replaced the battery and visor. No issues with the steering box yet, but if I feel I needs it, I will get it done.

Find one that doesn't look used and you should be good... CHEERS!!!

Good Luck!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: