Would you buy a first year JL?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Some early JLs are having issues with corrosion on the aluminum body panels and door hinges. You will want to pay close attention to that.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
We like our 2018 JLR. I felt that the steering on highway, should hold the road better. We had the cast Iron steering box installed. It now hold the road as good as our JKR.
A big plus of the 2018 with the 3.6 engine is, that year didnā€™t require the e-torque.

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
I bought a first year YJ and a first year TJ. While I never had any major issues with either, the TJ did give me a few head scratchers. Since there were no 1996 Wranglers (except maybe a few exports) my early 1997 TJ featured a mismatched basket of electronic sensors from late model YJs and early TJs. That required that every time I need to buy replacement electronic parts I have to take the old one with me for comparison. Even the dealer parts departments armed with my VIN are never sure. By the end of the 1997 model year the kinks were ironed out and seems that parts were standardized. Is still run into things like a different connector on the fan blower, different light bulbs etcā€¦

I have no idea of any quirks of first year JLs but based on my experience if you do your own work I would probably avoid the potential headache, if you pay someone to do the work and sort these things out, go for itā€¦

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
What about Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44

Yeah... That is exactly what's happening (Most of the time). If you pull off a failed sensor, you can tip it and see oil inside of it.

That's only one possible cause to the same light though. Many people are going through many different causes to the same symptom. This is meant to help prevent the majority from needing to wait weeks for a rear axle replacement.

@mgroeger - Do you still have pictures of the sensor off of Fat Ninja? Pic of the oil inside the sensor?

Thank you.
That was a hot topic in 2018 - 2019

I didn't get my LPS potted. I rarely hear about it now.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Some early JLs are having issues with corrosion on the aluminum body panels and door hinges. You will want to pay close attention to that.
Bubbling paint on door hinges is still happening to 2023 JLs.

In fact, the only two issues that have been addressed were a small batch of 2018 JLs with bad welds on the front of frame, and the swap from a weaker aluminum to a stronger cast iron steering box in 2021. Every other issue know to JL, defective batteries, wandering steering, loose fuses, bubbling paint, are still happening on JLs rolling off the line to this day.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
OP, I would be cognizant of the known issues of the first year JL (i.e. water pump bolts, steering box, batteries, etc.). The forums here have documented these various issues thoroughly. If you know these known issues have been addressed in the Jeep you're buying, okay. If not, know that if you buy a first year JL you may be on the hook for some of these repairs... As always, caveat emptor.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
If you can find one well taken care of - definitely if the price is right.

We bought ours used with under 5K for close to trade-in cost at that time ie. a steal. Now today have offers from the same dealer to pay more than what we paid years ago.

Make sure all the TSBs are done so you have new upgraded parts - and anything necessary under warranty. Especially look for any corrosion. JL is still a beast and goes anywhere we need - no problem. Handles snow like dry pavement - but slick ice needs chains.

Summer FSRs with huge potholes and washboard - floats like a dream especially aired down to 15. Is really amazing what harsh steering and suspension punishment this JL takes like nothing. As 2 finger steering is straight and responsive - with zero death wobble in alum. Slightly better with the upgraded cast iron box etc TSBs. Super impressed - all OEM.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would you buy a first year JL? B2FACC88-C965-4693-8B4A-B25D2B3A7959

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
I have an 18 JLU - bought with 56k on it and now have 69k (lol) on it. No issues! Favorite vehicle I've driven.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
If I checked the frame welds and it has documentation it's had all the steering fixes, sure.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
You shouldnā€™t have anything particularly problematic with an ā€˜šŸ˜18 IF itā€™s been taken care of. As Aldo noted, you will need to swap batteries if the PO hasnā€™t already. If it has been maintained, and IF the price is within reason (a Lot of used Jeeps have sold for nearly new prices-which makes NO sense) you should be fine. I would stay away from any that have been ā€œmoddedā€ as you donā€™t know the quality of the modified parts OR the quality of the installation (but thatā€™s just me. I want to KNOW whatā€™s been done to anything Iā€™d buy).

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I had a 2018 4dr Sahara 3.6, drove 30,000 miles zero problems in just under 3 years.

The only thing was the rear glass heating element wire thing came loose, apparently that an issue with an easy fix as far as I can tell. Inspect that, make use it doesn't have an issue, or request it's fixed.

Oh yet it was another Friday builds, I've had 3 Friday built Wranglers so far.

Again zero issues, traded it in like new condition for a 4xe, if there was no 4xe, I would have been driving that 2018 JL for a while, it was great.

Just do the usually checks you normally would, take it for a bit if a drive, radio off, windows down, etc.

Test every button and knob, windows up and down etc, check the roof.

Make sure it goes into and comes out of 4H, don't know if 4L is worth a check, others can say.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was built Jan 2018 and my 5 year ownership anniversary was last week.

Off the dealer lot it has clicking ball joints. They couldn't figure it out but researching this forum I figured it out, told them to torque the ball joints, they did and it's never been a problem since.

Had the steering TSB done. Not that mine was particularly bad but might as well. I say I have a modest improvement from that.

Had the rear window defroster issues everyone has. They replaced the glass and I put a piece of black electrical tape over the tab to beef it up a bit and it hasn't been a problem since.

Otherwise 41k miles and mostly trouble free. knock on wood....

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I have an ā€˜18; no issues to date. And itā€™s not like Stellantis have fixed any potential problems in the last five model years anyway.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

got my 18 sport back in jan 2019 brand new off the lot. i had one issue at 2500miles the rear main seal failed. dealership had it replaced under warranty and all the TBS and recalls have been done by the dealer... Everything else i have done myself. I havent had any other issues since the REAR main failure.I have done all the oil changes at about 4500 miles each time I also am still on the Stock batteries too. Note i do have the 6Speed manual with the 3.6L
Sponsored