Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Where’s the 395HP / 410lbft 5.7L ?

Would want that most of all for power, but also lighter more efficient than 6.4
+1 for the 5.7
+2 for the 5.7. Would love this for an option
Poll should have included a more realistic 5.7L Hemi. Probably would be a perfect amount if power for the Unlimited version.
Just found out I could edit the poll and I've added the 5.7 in there *loud angelic chorus in background*
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm a Hellcat V8 eh, as I sit here thinking about all the twisted frames, blown trannies and trashed axels and drive shafts.

Thing that would sell me on a V8 is torque, not hp. A V8 loafing along at highway speed or idling up a hillside is what would appeal to me as would the possibility of better towing capability. The current 5.7 has the ability to shut down half of it's cylinders making it a bit more economical on the highway. Granted that is in something that isn't as brick shaped as the Wrangler so it's hard to say if there would be any gains in this department.

On a vehicle as unaerodynamic as a Jeep I strongly suspect torque is going to be a big deal.

Brute tire spinning hp nope, might be ok from a bragging rights perspective but otherwise nope not on a Jeep. Now if someone gave me the keys to a Hellcat and an unlimited supply of high performance tires well then I might be good with that motor in the Challenger body. Granted I have been waffling between a shaker Challenger (non Hellcat) and the JL two door. Granted the last thing I need is yet another vehicle I can't drive in the winter (Challenger).

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Hmm a Hellcat V8 eh, as I sit here thinking about all the twisted frames, blown trannies and trashed axels and drive shafts.
Well it's not a backyard engine swap we're talking about here. There are lots of vehicles out there that can handle that kind of power even on stock components made for lesser engines. A properly engineered factory Hellcat Jeep would be just as reliable as a V6.

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Though it would be way out of my budget, I sure would like to see a Hellcat-powered JL, just because.

I've seen my fair share of hemi swaps into JK's, but I can't say I've ever seen a hellcat 6.2 in a Wrangler. There's no real reason for FCA to do it, although people seem to buy everything FCA gives the Hellcat or Demon-treatments to.

(Unrelated side note, I'll be interested to see how the Trackhawk GC sells)

Nick C.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Well it's not a backyard engine swap we're talking about here. There are lots of vehicles out there that can handle that kind of power even on stock components made for lesser engines. A properly engineered factory Hellcat Jeep would be just as reliable as a V6.
Like this one?

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Here we go again. Another thread about a V8 Wrangler that'll forever remain a unicorn fairy tale. Sigh...:facepalm:

If you do a search, you'll find lots of talk about why there has never been, isn't now, and never will be a factory V8 Wrangler.

Now that new 4.0L I-6 that they're working on, that might possibly happen in another few years. It's rumored that the I-6 will replace the V8 in most vehicles.
Why do you want to rain on my parade? :rain::(;)

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
The minority here using the JL for long-term overlanding, absolutely not. I'd rather be slow, with more range.

I'll be frank - I think cars have too much HP. I'll let myself out *HIDES*

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
How many of you that voted supercharged or turbocharged have actually owned those kind of vehicles? I'm curious, because I have never driven a turbo that I liked. They all have a lag. Even in one of the JL reviews of the 2L turbo, the reviewer says there is lag, "maybe 1-2 seconds" (which is a deal breaker for me:( ). When I put the pedal to the metal, I want to go now, not a second or two later. That's why I voted 5.7L Hemi. I don't need it to be crazy powerful, just give me some good low-end torque and some power across the band. I want it to get up and go when commanded. I'm not looking for a race car, but there are times, for safety, that you need to make a move quickly. The turbo lag comment is in this video from 1:40 to 2:53 I'd love to have the improved mileage (still waiting on MPG numbers of the 2LT) of a more efficient engine but not at the cost of turbo lag. Pentastar; eh, it's "okay", 2LT,appears to have lag :(, but it has more torque at lower RPMs than the Pentastar (see video clip referenced above) so that's a plus. Perhaps the Pentastar with BSG will be the sweet spot.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
SC has significantly less lag than a turbo, nearly immediate-on and more linear than a turbo.

I’ve never owned one, but it was a plan for my old Rubi once out of warranty after ridding in and then piloting a trail buddy’s SC’ed Pentastar. I have a ski buddy with an turbo’ed 3.8 JK and his is OK, but you do need to pre-charge it to get rid of lag, which is to be expected.

Around here they are both popular options due to altitude.

As for the range issue, I’d be happy to pay $2,000+ for a 10 Gal+ extended fuel tank if I could get a 5.7L Hemi for about the same $2,000 ($1,500 engine, $500 transmission) premium of the GC or RAM.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
How many of you that voted supercharged or turbocharged have actually owned those kind of vehicles? I'm curious, because I have never driven a turbo that I liked. They all have a lag. Even in one of the JL reviews of the 2L turbo, the reviewer says there is lag, "maybe 1-2 seconds" (which is a deal breaker for me:( ). When I put the pedal to the metal, I want to go now, not a second or two later.
I've been running a Sprintex supercharger on my 3.6 JKU Overland (RHD) automatic for a while now and it's a hoot. I can't floor the thing when taking off because it spins the wheels. No issue with shifting. Wrote about it here:
http://sophistijeep.blogspot.com/2015/08/supercharging-jeep-pentastar-with-sprintex.html

The 1-2 second lag you speak of in the 2L JL is strictly not only turbo lag but just the ugly non-linear nature of turbos. But I'm sure there's a bit of lag also.

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
Diesel with 450+ lb of torque and 35 mpg

Overland

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I don't like your vote options, but there is one thing for sure is Wrangler is way under powered, it should have premium option. As a mater of fact, the current 8 AT only support upto 500HP, that is lame, you can't mod it over 500HP without changing trans after market even.

The gas engine has not much improve in past decades, that make jeep fan boys look like moron,spend more $$ buying technology of 10 years, 20 years ago. We used to proud to own a wrangler to express our life style, but now I'm shame to drive wrangler on the road, thanks god I didn't switch to JL, at least I can excuse that is old car.

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Instantly. My 2003 V8 4Runner is sooo much better than new V6 only 4Runners

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
With gas approaching $4/gallon in So Cal, I'm much more excited about the 2.0 BSG than any V8 option. 'Specially since my little man will be driving the Jeep when we get it, what would insurance be on a 500 HP, top-heavy SUV like a Wrangler driven by a high school teen?!?
Sponsored