Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
BTW, how many Hellcat 700BHP are shipping internationally?
The Trackhawk, priced over USD 122,000 (after tax) will only arrive in Feb 2018 in Australia but it's already sold out:
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news...details-116667.html?trackLink=articleResults7

The V6 is a better fit. Sorry to all of you that want your Jeep to make you feel like a superhero.
The physical dimensions of an engine have to be considered as well. We don't want an engine that limits articulation. That is where the short stroke, 60 degree Pentastar is good.
Classic examples of naysayers. No one said a V8 should be the only option that should be offered. If your V6 is too good, turn the engine off and push it for all we care but don't tell others they shouldn't have options.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here we go again. Another thread about a V8 Wrangler that'll forever remain a unicorn fairy tale. Sigh...:facepalm:

If you do a search, you'll find lots of talk about why there has never been, isn't now, and never will be a factory V8 Wrangler.

Now that new 4.0L I-6 that they're working on, that might possibly happen in another few years. It's rumored that the I-6 will replace the V8 in most vehicles.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Here we go again. Another thread about a V8 Wrangler that'll forever remain a unicorn fairy tale. Sigh...:facepalm:

If you do a search, you'll find lots of talk about why there has never been, isn't now, and never will be a factory V8 Wrangler.

Now that new 4.0L I-6 that they're working on, that might possibly happen in another few years. It's rumored that the I-6 will replace the V8 in most vehicles.
You could have said the same thing about a diesel engine.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
From a safety standpoint, a vehicle with a very high center of gravity, non-speed rated tall sidewall tires, and a suspension designed for off-roading is not a good candidate for a highly tuned V8. Yes FCA has the high output V8s in the lineup, but most of those vehicles come with wide speed rated tires and performance tuned suspensions. The Pentastar versions of the GC, Charger and Challenger easily outsell the SRT or Hellcat models. CAFE is slowly killing off the big V8s even with fuel saving technology.

Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I voted supercharged Pentastar. Don't really "need" a V8 but some more available power would be nice at times. That's also something I would consider doing aftermarket once my wallet recovers from the initial ass-whooping it's going to take from the purchase.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. I wouldn't want to pay more than I already am, plus I like the Pentastar.

NavyJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS; Bikini; Manual; Soft Top. Let the spending begin.
The diffrence is auto manufactuers are moving away from V8 anywhere they can not towards it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

Pehaps while they Google all the unsupported fairy tale unicorn theories of the V8 in the Wrangler, you can do a Google search and provide a link to any source for your claims. Perhaps this thrid time you’ll actually be able to provide somethihgnother than a fairy tale of an engineers comments from yester year when he ssaid the EcoDiesel would never be in the JL?

There have been V8 Wranglers from FCA, pretty much every year at the Easter Safari, so obviously even they are just as interested in putting V8s into Wranglers as we are. We’ll stop askin for them when FCA stops putting them in Wranglers themselves.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
From a safety standpoint, a vehicle with a very high center of gravity, non-speed rated tall sidewall tires, and a suspension designed for off-roading is not a good candidate for a highly tuned V8.
True the 700BHP makes little sense from a safety standpoint... on any vehicle. Putting it even in a Callenger/Charger doesn’t make it safer, so that argument is a bit of a palaver no matter what you mate it to. Similarly using safety as a primary motivation for FCA ignores not only the Demon, but the slow pace to add side-airbags and rear cameras on the JK untilmthey were essentially forced to with the JL.

[quite]Yes FCA has the high output V8s in the lineup, but most of those vehicles come with wide speed rated tires and performance tuned suspensions. The Pentastar versions of the GC, Charger and Challenger easily outsell the SRT or Hellcat models.[/quote]

No one is expecting it to outsell whatever smaller engine FCA puts in their base, but that also doesn’t counter its utility. If FCA knocked a few thousand dollar off the JL base by putting a 2.4L naturally aspirated 4cylinder as their entry level engine, it would likely outsell the Pentastar and turbo, but that woukdn’t make it a more appropriate engine for the Wrangler.

CAFE is slowly killing off the big V8s even with fuel saving technology.
And yet in the last 4 years we’ve seen more introductions in the V8 lineup from FCA than any other category. Interesting how CAFE doesn’t seem to affect the Hellcats, Hawks and Demons, but would cause the Wrangler and FCA irreparable harm if they ever decide to out a logical 5.7L V8 in there instead of a race engine in a grocery-getter Grand Cherokee.

Whatever the arguments about sales, safety and CAFE are for the 5.7L in the Wrangler they are many times more applicable to those unnatural male enhacement models elsewhere in FCA’s lineup.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
From a safety standpoint, a vehicle with a very high center of gravity, non-speed rated tall sidewall tires, and a suspension designed for off-roading is not a good candidate for a highly tuned V8.
Why assume that a V8 Wrangler will only have an engine swap with no other supporting changes/options added? Electronic speed limits, big brakes and if necessary, different factory tires are all easily and commonly done in vehicles with more power.

I don't mind if the ECU limits the speed down to 80mph but for anything below a V8 option that is a step up from the Pentastar will make the Wrangler more desirable.

Also, just google what a Mercedes G63/G65, Discovery SVX, etc. is. They seem not to fall apart ;)

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Poll should have included a more realistic 5.7L Hemi. Probably would be a perfect amount if power for the Unlimited version.
In hindsight I should have added that as well but, as I said, the 5.7 has been long dead in many international markets.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Except, no, because there's always been a diesel Wrangler, just not here.

Apples to oranges.
Sponsored