Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
  • Banned
There's no replacement for a Wrangler but why should Jeep hold out on a V8 option from arguably their bread and butter that is the Wrangler when FCA puts V8s in grocery getters like the Grand Cherokee SRT and Durango SRT?

The closest cousins of Wranglers also have fun V8 options. E.g. Mercedes G63/G500, upcoming Land Rover Defender will have a supercharged V8 option, LR Discovery SVX, Land Cruiser/Lexus LX570, Nissan Patrol Y62/Infinity QX, etc.

Would you get a V8 Wrangler if Jeep offered one? Please take the poll.
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Whereā€™s the 395HP / 410lbft 5.7L ?

Would want that most of all for power, but also lighter more efficient than 6.4.

BTW Iā€™d take that or an SC PUG 3.6

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I guess I really don't understand the appeal of more power, especially combined with a lift. I'm not taking it out for track day. I have more than enough with my I6 to get up to highway speed quickly.

I rather like the fact that my Jeep makes me a more deliberate driver. I'm not going around corners crazy. I have to think about what configuration to be in before I even leave the house. I can't leave shit everywhere because I have so little secured cargo, so I have to think about what to take with me.

Serious question, earnestly curious: what would more power do?

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I guess I really don't understand the appeal of more power, especially combined with a lift. I'm not taking it out for track day. I have more than enough with my I6 to get up to highway speed quickly.

I rather like the fact that my Jeep makes me a more deliberate driver. I'm not going around corners crazy. I have to think about what configuration to be in before I even leave the house. I can't leave shit everywhere because I have so little secured cargo, so I have to think about what to take with me.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Fair enough. We don't have elevation changes that steep in my part of the country, and my back can't handle changing tires that large. :whew:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Torque would literally help me climb mountains especially when carrying 100s of lbs of gear and passengers, HP would let me go highway speed into the wind without the engine wanting to be at 4K RPM and dropping my MPG from 19 to 12 for 5-10KPH difference.

I have hope the 8-speed will help at both ends of the spectrum, but a little more power would ensure that also.

I donā€™t need 0-60 times, and the Wrangler will always be speed limited near 160KPH/100MPH so itā€™s not about turning a Wrangler into a Mustang,

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The V6 is a better fit. Sorry to all of you that want your Jeep to make you feel like a superhero.
Itā€™s not a better fit.

Who do you think weā€™re trying to impress as a superhero? Itā€™s far more extroverted wannabee to put a 4ā€ lift and huge tyres and a snorkel and never go off-road than to simply have enough power under the hood to do what is required of the Wrangler and pretty much look the same as a V6 while doing so.

If you want to see a bunch of professionals pretty much the same thing p, Iā€™m sure you can find a bunch of reviews out there today that will say the same thing about the just ā€˜adequateā€™ power of the V6 and its current alternate.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't add it because it's not an engine option you can get in some international markets anymore. The 6.4 is abundant though.
However for FCA it is the engine in the GC, RAM, etc that sits among the Ecodiesel and Pentastar, so a more appropriate fit, especially for the Wrangler which needs more power, but could do with it being lighter than the 6.4.

BTW, how many Hellcat 700BHP are shipping internationally?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
The 2 V8 options in the list seem excessive (MPG penalty). I'd like something that is comparable to a mildly tuned SBC (though I'm most looking forward to the MY 2019 EcoDiesel).

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase