DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Underpowered? Not in my opinion. My 6 speed JLUR is easily the most powerful Wrangler yet, even with 35's on it. WIth the auto, a tester got zero to 60 in under 7 seconds. Add to that the best off-road gearing ever in a factory 4x4, and you have a recipe that refutes the notion of being under powered by a long shot.

What are you looking for, Tesla performance? It is a Jeep. Its limits in climbing or crawling are not related to power. I've had mine in sand dunes, and it performed exceptionally well.

The history is off, too. 2012 saw the introduction of the Pentastar. That engine isn't decades old technology. It made Ward's 10 best at least 3 times since its introduction. On top of that, people have been talking about no power increase for the PUG because all they look at are the peaks. If you look at the whole power curve, you'll see a 14% increase in torque between 1k and 3k rpms, which is right where you really use it. It is one of the finest V6 engines I've driven, even in pre-2018 form.

Still think it isn't more powerful? My buddy and I, on a country road, had a little race from zero up to about 65 or 70mph. His is a JK, two door, with 6 speed and 35's, while mine is a JLUR with a 6 speed and 35's. His is a 2012 Pentastar, while mine is the 2018 PUG Pentastar. Both have 4.10 gearing. My Jeep lept into the lead off the line and then steadily (but slowly) pulled away until the end. That's not the same power. My Jeep clearly outweighs his. I'm not any better driver than him. My engine only had 2500 miles on it, versus his with 30k, so mine hasn't even begun to loosen up yet.

Folks, that PUG Pentastar, combined with better gearing, is simply a more powerful package than before. Once they add the belt start generator, I'm sure the difference will be much greater, at lower rpm. Of course, if you need more, just wait for the diesel. (And get your wallet ready. The diesel will bring new meaning to Just Empty Every Pocket, both up front, and in cost of ownership.)
Sponsored

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
No, It's unnecessary. Id rather have an all electric platform with instant torque and a limited 200 mile range than a V8.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes, that's the reason there isn't one. It's not necessary.

The JL has a 3,500 lb. max towing capacity, FAR less than Grand Cherokee. Why would engineering push for a V8 in this vehicle?

The JL has fender and hood vents (in some cases) to help with heat extraction because the JK would occasionally overheat. You really want them to stuff a V8 under the hood and make it worse? Engineering won't go for that.

Federal crash testing is getting more stringent all the time. Jeep redesigned the sport bar and A-pillar to try and help pass the tests, as well as lengthen the vehicle just a tad. Part of that was to fit the 8-speed, part of it was for safety. Stuffing a V8 under the hood takes them back to the drawing board again, and they've already given the government so much money just to get the JL to market that prices have gone insane. A V8 would make that far worse.

Want low end torque for offroad? The EcoDiesel will destroy the Hemi in terms of off-idle torque.

So, again, there's never been a V8 Wrangler from the factory and the odds of it happening now are 0.000000000001%. I'm a V8 guy...I have a Mustang Mach 1, I traded a 5.0 V8 in on this JLU, and I've had countless other V8s in my driveway over the years. In the Wrangler, it just makes zero sense.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
That’s not a reason to need a heavy V8, there are tons of JKs with pentastars that have done metal masher - heck, even ones with the 3.8 (shudder).

I’d still like more power, but not for that. There are very few obstacles I can think of that a 3.6 and 4:1 gearing can’t get you over, and if they exist, no amount of extra torque is gonna help.
Sponsored