Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have time to wait on a custom build, and my local dealer where I have a personal friendship with the GM has a 2018 JLUR Mojito V6 6sp with 8.4 Infotainment and color matched fenders with a sticker of $45,200 that he's offering me at $39,000. The only thing I'd order differently if I had time would be the premium soft top but I'm assuming I can add that separately? I don't love the idea of buying a 2018 in 2019 but dang the inventory on 2019s is weak right now.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
There’s nothing different with 2019’s except availability of ACC and a higher price tag.

Test drive it with properly inflated tires (bring your own pressure gauge) on the highway to make sure the steering is OK, inspect the frame welds, then sign the dotted line if you’re happy.

Personally, I’d try to negotiate a soft top and soft top window bag in the deal. Have them place the order at cost, or not much above.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have time to wait on a custom build, and my local dealer where I have a personal friendship with the GM has a 2018 JLUR Mojito V6 6sp with 8.4 Infotainment and color matched fenders with a sticker of $45,200 that he's offering me at $39,000. The only thing I'd order differently if I had time would be the premium soft top but I'm assuming I can add that separately? I don't love the idea of buying a 2018 in 2019 but dang the inventory on 2019s is weak right now.
If I were looking, I'd probably jump on that deal! $39k for an Unlimited Rubi is simply a steal. I paid 35k for my 2008 JKUR 11 years ago.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Your friend is offering you a great deal. If you like the jeep, get it. Or inquire about an order with him to compare.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
A couple take aways:

1. You don't have time to wait on an order
2. He is offering you a great deal
3. It is exactly what you would order, minus the premium soft top (Personally, I prefer the standard soft top)

These are all reasons to go for it.

A few items to consider:

1. Check the steering and welds
2. Check for any dings or dents as it has probably been sitting on the lot quite some time
3. Do you plan on keeping it long term or do you trade vehicles often? If you keep it 10 years, there won't be much difference in trade in value between a 2018 and 2019. If you trade it in in a year there will be.

Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
While I'm not sure what "I don't have time to wait on a custom build" really means...as for that kind of money, time should be secondary, and while I don't know if I would consider it a "steal" since it's the previous model year and not much better in pricing than what folks were getting last spring (14% below MSRP), if it's what you want, go for it. I do agree with OldGuyNewJeep, check the steering and welds. Take a good test drive. I would have mild concerns as to WHY it's still available. Could be that most in the area do not prefer manuals.

And if you have to get the soft top on your own...you can...it's going to run about $2,400, unless you can find one someone is getting rid of.

OP
OP
Kaliks&Bones

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
While I'm not sure what "I don't have time to wait on a custom build" really means...as for that kind of money, time should be secondary, and while I don't know if I would consider it a "steal" since it's the previous model year and not much better in pricing than what folks were getting last spring (14% below MSRP), if it's what you want, go for it. I do agree with OldGuyNewJeep, check the steering and welds. Take a good test drive. I would have mild concerns as to WHY it's still available. Could be that most in the area do not prefer manuals.

And if you have to get the soft top on your own...you can...it's going to run about $2,400, unless you can find one someone is getting rid of.
My current vehicle lease is up in 2 weeks and I didn't think it would be this hard to find a 2019 Rubicon with just a few upgrades (ideally V6 Auto with 8.4 Display) but turns out 98% of the 2019s are the 2.0T and loaded to the max. Guess I should have ordered when the 2019 banks opened but mistakenly thought I could get close with what's on dealer lots.

If my build could be done in say 8 weeks I guess I could get a rental for a couple months but I'm hearing more like 16 weeks for the V6.

OP
OP
Kaliks&Bones

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A couple take aways:

1. You don't have time to wait on an order
2. He is offering you a great deal
3. It is exactly what you would order, minus the premium soft top (Personally, I prefer the standard soft top)

These are all reasons to go for it.

A few items to consider:

1. Check the steering and welds
2. Check for any dings or dents as it has probably been sitting on the lot quite some time
3. Do you plan on keeping it long term or do you trade vehicles often? If you keep it 10 years, there won't be much difference in trade in value between a 2018 and 2019. If you trade it in in a year there will be.
Great points. I think I know the logical answer it's just hard to buy what feels like a year old new vehicle, but better to be logical than emotional.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
My current vehicle lease is up in 2 weeks and I didn't think it would be this hard to find a 2019 Rubicon with just a few upgrades (ideally V6 Auto with 8.4 Display) but turns out 98% of the 2019s are the 2.0T and loaded to the max. Guess I should have ordered when the 2019 banks opened but mistakenly thought I could get close with what's on dealer lots.

If my build could be done in say 8 weeks I guess I could get a rental for a couple months but I'm hearing more like 16 weeks for the V6.
You can also call them and see if they can extend your lease. Some banks allow month to month up to 6 months.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota

Ahh...I see. Didn't think about a lease...

Sponsored

Robertrinaustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18` JLUSS, Outback
Value won't differ much between either if you sell or trade in a few years. I ran the numbers on JKs on KBB a few months back to help decide between an 18' and 19' and the model year didn't really change the value. I compared same models that were a year apart.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Sounds like a good deal to me. Keep in mind, in October they were still building 2018s. They didn't start building 2019s until November. There may only be a week difference between when that one was built and a 2019 was built. You can ask for the premium soft top at dealer cost, but I would probably just use what it currently has until it needs to replaced (if needed), which may or may not happen depending on how long you have it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Value won't differ much between either if you sell or trade in a few years. I ran the numbers on JKs on KBB a few months back to help decide between an 18' and 19' and the model year didn't really change the value. I compared same models that were a year apart.
Thank you for challenging another resale myth.

3+ years from now the resale value is going to be based primarily on mileage. The model year will not make much difference.

OP
OP
Kaliks&Bones

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate all the feedback. Ultimately the boss (wife) weighed in that she absolutely had no interest in learning to drive a manual deftly arguing "do I really want to think about her learning to drive a stick shift in a new 4x4 vehicle in traffic with two young children in car seats?" so I placed an order today for a 2019 V6 Auto and will just turn in my lease on 1/20 and do a monthly rental car until it arrives. Enterprise has a compact for $500mo which is like a car payment anyway. :computerrage:
Sponsored