Sponsored

Would you be hesitant to buy a used 2020 JL that was a rental car?

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Figured I would throw in my experience with a previous rental. Mines a 19 with 2.0 sport s. I bought mine last summer. I was hesitant because of the rental history but it drove just as good as brand new ones on the lot. It still had b2b for 7000 miles so I took the chance. Also it didn’t and hasn’t smelled like cigarette smoke. That was truly my main concern after the driving test passed. Also at the time vehicles were just about to start skyrocketing and I bought mine for 29000.which was at that time about $0-4000 less than a 2015 and up JK used. Course now I see the savings are not that much but you Can either wait a year for the market to normalize or pay a few thousand more and enjoy it. Also Ocean blue is an awesome color.

So with that being said good luck🍀
Sponsored

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Jeep Wrangler JLU / 2020 Hydroblue Gladiator
It's from a Jeep dealership. Get the 100,000 mile Mopar extended warranty, make sure it covers electronics and you have no worries. If anything goes the warranty will cover it.

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Heck no. I would not buy a rental of anything. People are jerks and destroy things when it's not their own.

If the prices are too high for a new one, why not custom order exactly what you want? I did this to get exactly what I want and by not spending a cent more. I know you said you don't really want new but I mean this is basically new. Why let someone else wear it down when you can wear down your own and know what abuse it's been through? I get your thinking but I don't agree :)

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
My 2019 was a rental Jeep from our Local Enterprise ....I kinda thought the same thing...still had full warranty...and my sales rep told me he knew the folks from the rental ...they had to always make sure they kept the Jeep maintained because it was a rental...they only keep on the rental line...at least here about 8 months...I have owned mine now for over a year and have had zero issues with it...

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I would never - Especially with a Jeep! The rental sahara I picked up in Fort Lauderdale had hardly any miles and a bunch of stupid damage.

Antenna was bent. Fuel door was ripped off. Various things missing or broken throughout the cabin. The freedom panels were all beat up... and during our trip it was caught in a monsoon while we were top and doorless quite a ways from home. The 8.4 freaked out for a day or two and then went back to normal.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Antenna was bent. Fuel door was ripped off. Various things missing or broken throughout the cabin. The freedom panels were all beat up... and during our trip it was caught in a monsoon while we were top and doorless quite a ways from home. The 8.4 freaked out for a day or two and then went back to normal.
Sounds like a brand new Wrangler from the factory to me!

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Mine was In Great Shape.....Looked New inside and out....Main reason I bought it

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
My 2 cents about buying a 'previous daily rental'. I have driven a Chev that came to Canada when it was 2 years old and then privately bought. It was traded to a Toyota dealer where I bought it 9 years ago. I did the Carfax and decided (at my own peril) that it was exceptionally clean and low mileage'd for it's age. Since then it's been a perfectly normal vehicle in terms of things going wrong......that is to say the engine and transmission are original.

But get this, I went to trade it in when I ordered my JL, and they offered me a value they coined 'parts only' just to be rid of it. In the future when you trade that Jeep in.....the CARFAX history is going to cost you with a rental.
Yet they sold it at the auction and made really good money on it. Yes, some can and will use all excuses to bring you down, that's when priving selling brings most profit compared to trade.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ever seen anyone be nice to a rental car??

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Guess I should update this thread since it gets resurrected from time to time. Received my new Gladiator at the end of March. I haul so often that I had to decide between keeping my old truck and a new Wrangler (and deal with taxes, insurance, and maintenance on 2 vehicles, not to mention fitting in the driveway) or buy a trailer. Trailer shopping pushed me to that instead of a 2 door Wrangler, which I still plan to own one day. But for the next several years, this is my daily driver. I'm beyond pleased with it and don't regret a thing.
oW1i6Ge.jpg

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
My short story that's not one of my many "adventures" in finding out what the limits are on a wide variety of cars.

On my way to middle of Iowa from Michigan. It's about a 5hour trip.

I'm on I-80 near the 80/94 split (Gary) going westbound in very horrible traffic. I've been on the road for about 1.5 hours and smell oil burning here and there, but nothing too alarming.

It's about this time that my temp starts creeping up. If anyone reading this has been on this stretch of road (about 35miles), you'll know that it's not somewhere you want to pull off on an exit or stop on the side of the highway

By the time I get to about Peoria, the temp spikes and I finally am able to get off the highway. Temp has bene running high for about 20mins

Opening the hood shows a nice coating of oil throughout the engine bay. Apparently, they did a service on the car before my rental and never put the oil cap back in place.

I let it cool down and put some oil in to make it to the next rental location to trade cars. What do you think happened to that car?

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
The fastest car in the world is a rental car... I wouldn't buy a rental history Jeep. Friend of mine owns a Jeep rental company in Ouray, they get ridden hard and put away wet.

Good to see the OP managed to combine his Jeep lust and truck needs, nice Gladiator! Fortunately my wife wanted a 2 dr Wrangler so I could order me a big boy truck, the Gladiator would have come up shy for my use.
Sponsored