Sponsored

Would you be hesitant to buy a used 2020 JL that was a rental car?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, you guys have convinced me. I'm taking this one off of my Autotrader favorites list.
I have purchase rental returns before without any issues. In fact, rental companies treat their vehicles better than some private owners.

I would not let anyone else tell me what to buy/not to buy.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I just got back from a work trip in Florida where I rented a 2021 Mustang with only 1,000 miles on it and you could already tell the car has been treated like shit. Scratches all along the passenger door interior, the brakes were a tad squeaky, the leather on the driver's seat was already worn, the drive mode switch was loose, and there was a really deep and long scratch on the rear window.

I don't even know how you accomplish that.

One month, 1,000 miles on it, and it already feels really used.
Friends of ours, who moved away a few years ago, come to mind as it concerns your rental experience. They seemed to have no sense of self-awareness as it concerned the mere idea of mechanical sympathy. They just plowed through life.

To be clear, nothing was intentionally mistreated. Rather, it just suffered from a basic standard of care that you and I might consider instinctual.

They were a nice couple, truly, and the kids were really sweet. I'd be fibbing, though, if I said that I wasn't on edge a little when they visited our place.

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I always say buy a "keeper" new. The only Jeep I've ever owned with few issues is the one I bought new 23 years ago and maintained myself. All the used ones I've bought have had isdues. If you're trading often, and before they get too old, then used is not a problem.
I've been driving the same truck for 21 years. I'm not one to swap vehicles until a repair bill exceeds what the car is worth to me. Except for one Ford Ranger that was $500 dollaring me to death, I've treated every one that way so far.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
To be clear, nothing was intentionally mistreated. Rather, it just suffered from a basic standard of care that you and I might consider instinctual.
I'm not suggesting anyone intentionally damaged the car, but you're right. People tend to be completely oblivious of putting forth care for things that don't belong to them. And that's exactly why I'd never buy a rental vehicle.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
If smells and odors bother you, you figure that rental cloth interior has spent over a year getting soaked over and over in that air freshener spray that all the rental car agencies cleaning crews use.

Seems like it takes me a week to get that smell out of my nose every time I rent a vehicle for a few days. lol

Sponsored

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Seeing as I want a 2 door and am picky about color, options on lots -new or used- are slim. About 2 hours away from me a 2020 Sport (in the color I'd probably pick if available on 2021s) has sat on the lot for at least 6-8 weeks. It was previously a rental car for 13 months in Ohio. The rental part worries me a bit, and the fact it came from a place there is salt on the roads a lot of the year does as well. And it's not optioned well at all -3.5" B&W display, and auto trans, hard top, color, and 22s package are all that were added. Another downside is it's a drive even to see this one in person. Good grief, I've almost talked myself out of it typing this post! But it could probably be had out the door for around 30K, and that would leave me with some money for a slight lift, wheels, tires, steel bumpers, PRP seat covers and a soft top.
Exterior looks great:
0njqjIN.jpg

Interior not so nice for a year old vehicle, assuming this must be the best it would clean up.

5MYftwF.jpg

If it just had auxiliary switches I'd be able to do lots more myself without paying someone, but pickings are slim in 2 door JL Wranglers.
Adding AUX switches is easy and this kit fits like OEM

https://www.roughcountry.com/mlc6-m...95gzvFInjbNOhPmt7A2i-jbbPwLyBKgBoCf24QAvD_BwE

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Rental cars have many features:

Carry the largest load of any vehicle
Tow the largest load of any vehicle
More off road capable than any vehicle
Have greater acceleration than any vehicle
Uses the lowest quality fuel than any vehicle - no matter the engine.

What's not to like!

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
Seeing as I want a 2 door and am picky about color, options on lots -new or used- are slim. About 2 hours away from me a 2020 Sport (in the color I'd probably pick if available on 2021s) has sat on the lot for at least 6-8 weeks. It was previously a rental car for 13 months in Ohio. The rental part worries me a bit, and the fact it came from a place there is salt on the roads a lot of the year does as well. And it's not optioned well at all -3.5" B&W display, and auto trans, hard top, color, and 22s package are all that were added. Another downside is it's a drive even to see this one in person. Good grief, I've almost talked myself out of it typing this post! But it could probably be had out the door for around 30K, and that would leave me with some money for a slight lift, wheels, tires, steel bumpers, PRP seat covers and a soft top.
Exterior looks great:
0njqjIN.jpg

Interior not so nice for a year old vehicle, assuming this must be the best it would clean up.

5MYftwF.jpg

If it just had auxiliary switches I'd be able to do lots more myself without paying someone, but pickings are slim in 2 door JL Wranglers. The appeal to buying used is in part that I hunt and fish on land that I'd cringe driving a shiny new one through the first time. And unless I build or go well over my budget, I'm dropping a bit after the purchase to make things the way I want them. This one seems like a nice blank canvas in that respect. On the flip side, she started her life in Ohio and was a rental. I treat rental cars great whenever I've rented one, but I know not everyone does. Figured this would be the place to get some educated opinions, so thanks in advance.
I’ll be trading in mine to Criswell. I’m sure a longer drive.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you be hesitant to buy a used 2020 JL that was a rental car? 4FC2B98E-C331-44F4-A662-7772FA358B05
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you be hesitant to buy a used 2020 JL that was a rental car? 2478355F-EBDF-45B0-9EBB-D9C87401D74B

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
^ That's a beauty.

All of this has contributed to me just unsubscribing from Autotrader, Carfax, Carvana, and True Car email updates and join Tread Lightly today. Barring something I can't refuse crossing my radar before then, I'm ordering a new Jeep. Just have to decide between a 2 door Wrangler or Gladiator. If I go Wrangler, I'll likely keep my current truck just for the occasions hauling is needed.

Sponsored

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
^ That's a beauty.

All of this has contributed to me just unsubscribing from Autotrader, Carfax, Carvana, and True Car email updates and join Tread Lightly today. Barring something I can't refuse crossing my radar before then, I'm ordering a new Jeep. Just have to decide between a 2 door Wrangler or Gladiator. If I go Wrangler, I'll likely keep my current truck just for the occasions hauling is needed.
Thanks!!!

I waited many months to be able to order this same color in a JL!

Just waiting rather frickin impatiently for it to arrive at the dealer. 😁. Check out the Hydro Blue thread here!!

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you be hesitant to buy a used 2020 JL that was a rental car? 3114E10F-F68B-458D-9FDE-98F152D9C41D

Knowing how I’ve treated rental cars over the years, I would sure wouldn’t buy one

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It would need to be a really good deal to be worth consideration, and when I was shopping a year ago the prices from rental companies weren't very good.