Would you be hesitant to buy a used 2020 JL that was a rental car?

Vaunswa

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Figured I would throw in my experience with a previous rental. Mines a 19 with 2.0 sport s. I bought mine last summer. I was hesitant because of the rental history but it drove just as good as brand new ones on the lot. It still had b2b for 7000 miles so I took the chance. Also it didn’t and hasn’t smelled like cigarette smoke. That was truly my main concern after the driving test passed. Also at the time vehicles were just about to start skyrocketing and I bought mine for 29000.which was at that time about $0-4000 less than a 2015 and up JK used. Course now I see the savings are not that much but you Can either wait a year for the market to normalize or pay a few thousand more and enjoy it. Also Ocean blue is an awesome color.

So with that being said good luck🍀

Advertisement

berb

First Name
AJ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Jeep Wrangler JLU / 2020 Hydroblue Gladiator
It's from a Jeep dealership. Get the 100,000 mile Mopar extended warranty, make sure it covers electronics and you have no worries. If anything goes the warranty will cover it.

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I'm ordering a new one this week, appreciate everyone's input.

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Heck no. I would not buy a rental of anything. People are jerks and destroy things when it's not their own.

If the prices are too high for a new one, why not custom order exactly what you want? I did this to get exactly what I want and by not spending a cent more. I know you said you don't really want new but I mean this is basically new. Why let someone else wear it down when you can wear down your own and know what abuse it's been through? I get your thinking but I don't agree :)

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
My 2019 was a rental Jeep from our Local Enterprise ....I kinda thought the same thing...still had full warranty...and my sales rep told me he knew the folks from the rental ...they had to always make sure they kept the Jeep maintained because it was a rental...they only keep on the rental line...at least here about 8 months...I have owned mine now for over a year and have had zero issues with it...

RELBUS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 21 JLUR 392
I would never - Especially with a Jeep! The rental sahara I picked up in Fort Lauderdale had hardly any miles and a bunch of stupid damage.

Antenna was bent. Fuel door was ripped off. Various things missing or broken throughout the cabin. The freedom panels were all beat up... and during our trip it was caught in a monsoon while we were top and doorless quite a ways from home. The 8.4 freaked out for a day or two and then went back to normal.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Antenna was bent. Fuel door was ripped off. Various things missing or broken throughout the cabin. The freedom panels were all beat up... and during our trip it was caught in a monsoon while we were top and doorless quite a ways from home. The 8.4 freaked out for a day or two and then went back to normal.
Sounds like a brand new Wrangler from the factory to me!

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Mine was In Great Shape.....Looked New inside and out....Main reason I bought it

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
My 2 cents about buying a 'previous daily rental'. I have driven a Chev that came to Canada when it was 2 years old and then privately bought. It was traded to a Toyota dealer where I bought it 9 years ago. I did the Carfax and decided (at my own peril) that it was exceptionally clean and low mileage'd for it's age. Since then it's been a perfectly normal vehicle in terms of things going wrong......that is to say the engine and transmission are original.

But get this, I went to trade it in when I ordered my JL, and they offered me a value they coined 'parts only' just to be rid of it. In the future when you trade that Jeep in.....the CARFAX history is going to cost you with a rental.
Yet they sold it at the auction and made really good money on it. Yes, some can and will use all excuses to bring you down, that's when priving selling brings most profit compared to trade.

Advertisement

Done Right LED

Advertisement