Sponsored

Would you be deterred from buying a Sahara with accident on its Carfax?

FLbeachin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox
Alright guys. So the opportunity has come along where theres a 2018 sahara for sale...thats priced perfectly. Like too good a deal perfect. The salesman sent a link to the carfax and disclosed it had been in an accident.
Turns out it was a rental vehicle for 3,000 miles and one of the people who rented it...flipped it. Had to be towed from the site but airbags didnt deploy.

would that deter you from buying it? I mean, assuming all work was done correctly?
I know of plenty that have been flipped or overturned, gotten the work done, and been fine.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnā€™t touch it. It likely has a salvaged title, too, given that it flipped.

Those declarations never go away. You will have a hell of a time getting rid of the Jeep whenever you decide to part ways.

If you donā€™t regret buying a rebuilt vehicle sooner, you will then.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I wouldnā€™t touch it. It likely has a salvaged title, too, given that it flipped.

Those declarations never go away. You will have a hell of a time getting rid of the Jeep whenever you decide to part ways.

If you donā€™t regret buying a rebuilt vehicle sooner, you will then.
Have to agree with everyone. Would not purchase.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't touch it. Plenty of fish in the sea rather than roll the dice on that one.

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Man.....

I will go complete opposite direction on this.

ABSOLUTELY BUY IT!!!!!

More explanation below.

But, this is only if you are in the process of shooting a low budget film in which you have to total a JL and you plan on making serious coin on the movie. Then you can buy whatever wrangler you want. ;)

ok. I guess not a complete different direction, but wanted to give a little different tone.

good luck on your search!!!!

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
As they say your first reaction is usually the best one, you obviously have doubts about it so don't talk yourself into something your subconscious is saying No. There are much better deals out there that won't keep you up at night wondering. As others said pass on that in a hurry.

OP
OP

FLbeachin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox
Alright alright, im passing lol. A couple of my friends said to at least go see it but i agree with yall. Prob a good reason its priced so low and no ones bought it yet

Thanks!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Moral of the story: donā€™t flip your Jeep.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I would never buy rental cars or dealer loaners. They are abused constantly. I typically also will never buy a car that has be involved in ANY accident severe enough to be reported to a Carfax, especially a rollover. IMO, a car just never drives the same after bigger accidents. But thatā€™s just my opinion.

Sponsored

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
I would never buy rental cars or dealer loaners. They are abused constantly. I typically also will never buy a car that has be involved in ANY accident severe enough to be reported to a Carfax, especially a rollover. IMO, a car just never drives the same after bigger accidents. But thatā€™s just my opinion.
I did, my first Jeep 87 YJ . Got it in San Diego. Dealer had like 10 used ones all in a row, all red. It was clean, shinny, had a new stripe and every thing including 3 Major issues that developed.

First, it would stall, not just up steep hills but like on Tuesday morning on a flat road going 40. The carb was fouled and other sh!t.

Second, the rear folding seat broke with two friends in it while exploring Borrego.

Finding #2 help solve #1. The seat frame was rusted through. The seat looked fine. I found a Rental agreement in the springs from......... Hawaii. Light bulb moment! Driving on the beach! SALT water. Back to #1. I pulled the air cleaner (old) off my new carb. I inspected it. The inside lip up above where the filter sits was rusted like east coast rusted. I figured the part was dipped then sprayed and some of it was bare metal. The 87 had a dryer hose snorkel on the air cleaner that went down to the front just below the turn signal.

I order a new air clear from the same dealer. When I got there I asked 'Any complaints about stalling on the ex-rental Jeeps? The answer from the parts manager was of course NO! While a young military type is arguing with the service department about his stalling Jeep (used).

I told the kid I could fix the problem. I could be a cocky son of a bitch. I took my new air cleaner housing all brand spanking new. I took the top off and got out my trusty pen light and looked. Sure enough NEW-part-Bare metal. "Ya see that, those Hawaiian rental Jeeps are full of hidden rust, caused by salt water. Bet your seat frame is rusted also." I was offered the part for free. The military looking youngster said what about me? He got a free carb and air cleaner-bastard.

Being cocky and some what stupid, I kept the YJ. I was rewarded a year or so later with #3. All the lights and gauges would suddenly quit working. Jeep ran fine. AND it was only really a problem at night. You could trace every wire on that thing and find nothing, no broken ground, no corrosion, no hidden rust. Till your smartassed neighbors kid with like 3 weeks of autoshop asks, "Did ya pull the fuse block assembly out and look at it? Uh, .... that would be a NO.

So if you are still reading.. DON'T buy a rental or branded title vehicle. Only 3 exceptions IMHO are:

1 a motorcycle that's a weekend track bike,
2 a trailered rock crawler or mudbogger - none of them street legal.
3 for entry in a destruction derby or figure 8 race.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
So if you are still reading.. DON'T buy a rental or branded title vehicle. Only 3 exceptions IMHO are:

1 a motorcycle that's a weekend track bike,
2 a trailered rock crawler or mudbogger - none of them street legal.
3 for entry in a destruction derby or figure 8 race.
Iā€™ll say this- Iā€™m pretty much game for any sportbike, regardless of history. 95% have at least some wreck history and you can replace just about anything (and should). Frame inspection is just about the only thing that matters.

As for this jeep, Iā€™m not overly concerned when a vehicle has been in an accident. I sold my JK that was rear ended and I will admit I milked the insurance to replace everything that even looked remotely scratched (as it was his fault). Looked big on paper, but it wasnā€™t critical to the vehicle. But a rollover? No. You donā€™t walk away with a clean car after that. You should run.

Jdsmoke

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport 2 door
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Healthcare
I would buy it for an off road rig where I was going to replace/upgrade most of it anyway.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I bought ex-rentals before; never had any issues.

But thereā€™s a big difference between an ex-rental and a vehicle that flipped and was repaired. I would never buy the latter.
Sponsored