Sponsored

Would tube doors look ok on stock rubicon?

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar has not released them for the JL yet and I have not been able to find them from other manufacturers either. If you come across them, please share.
Hi, in another thread on this site a guy bought the JK ones and said they were the same thread. Are you sure they will not work? I haven’t been able to find any other to my surprise. I really am not worried thought. I will probably just put a couple stainless lock nuts on them.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Hi, in another thread on this site a guy bought the JK ones and said they were the same thread. Are you sure they will not work? I haven’t been able to find any other to my surprise. I really am not worried thought. I will probably just put a couple stainless lock nuts on them.
I am not sure, but when I looked at the ones for the JK, they specify that they are for the JK. I’ll wait for somebody to confirm that they work before purchasing.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I agree with the doors with straps for leg containment. I friend of mine lost his lower left leg dumping a SxS on its side. No doors, and stuck his leg out. Just a reactionary thing.

If I get door, it will be ones that will keep your legs in. They also make straps to keep your arms on the oh shit handles because people stick their arms out and bust them all up too.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Mopar has not released them for the JL yet and I have not been able to find them from other manufacturers either. If you come across them, please share.
They have not been released yet however there are picture of them out there
The Door Latch position is different, There is a video where someone re-purposed JK doors however they had to move the door latches which required some skills...

s2000zr

First Name
mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda ridgeline
If you must ask. Then it doesn’t look ok.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If you must ask. Then it doesn’t look ok.
It looked like a good fit however I do not recall which door brand it was and the latches were not welded in position like most are these days

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

2019RUBI

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Camry, 2017 Camaro 2SS, 1990 Mustang, 2019 Rubi on order
I understand your point, I am just confused about what if any side impact protection the tube doors actually provide.
We've questioned that as well and in all honesty I don't think the design of the Mopar or Rugged Ridge will offer much in stock form due to the large opening at the bottom. If you close up the gaps a bit where something like a car bumper can't come through then I think you would be safe. I would think that the tube doors should be stornger than the factory stamped steel with the minimal bracing inside.

I've asked a buddy who is a fabracator and fellow off-roader if he could add a couple of bars to the lower section of the Mopar doors. We're going to wait until we get them before jumping to any conclusions but I don't mind having them modified and re-powder coated.

Here is a mock up of what i'm thinking.

door 2019-04-05_9-42-33.jpg

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
We've questioned that as well and in all honesty I don't think the design of the Mopar or Rugged Ridge will offer much in stock form due to the large opening at the bottom. If you close up the gaps a bit where something like a car bumper can't come through then I think you would be safe. I would think that the tube doors should be stornger than the factory stamped steel with the minimal bracing inside.

I've asked a buddy who is a fabracator and fellow off-roader if he could add a couple of bars to the lower section of the Mopar doors. We're going to wait until we get them before jumping to any conclusions but I don't mind having them modified and re-powder coated.

Here is a mock up of what i'm thinking.

door 2019-04-05_9-42-33.jpg
The Mopar Tube doors have an extra cross member down low. However tubes are going to crush and bend in in side impact I do not see much safety benefit as once they bend they will swing in to the cab as the tube doors do not overlap the entire recessed door jam. IMO tube doors are strictly to help contain what is in the jeep however Rugged Ridge doors are too sparse to even do that and the Mopar not much better. You are more likely to roll with a side impact anyway, especially if lifted...

mopar-77072498-front-rear-tube%20doors-jeep-wrangler-jl-main.jpg

Brian001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL
Anyone have pics of only a front set of tube doors on their 4 dr Jeep?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Added the Rugged Ridge doors to a "stock" Rubicon (haven't gotten the lift and larger tires added yet).

20190421_133545.jpg

20190421_133554.jpg

20190421_133648.jpg
You should take off the end caps on your front bumper it really makes it look better and you can run a bigger tire

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Love my Rugged Ridge. These things are pretty impressive build wise and very adjustable so no rattle.

18C03713-AFC2-49E5-B998-53E4C03CC34A.jpeg
did you take off the stock rock guards and paint them red ? i like the red
Sponsored