Sponsored

Would the factory LED tail lights work on a JL that did not originally come with them?

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
I will be placing an order for my JL soon and I'm trying to justify the price of the Safety Group. I don't really care about the blind spot or the parking sensors, all I really want is the LED tail lights. Let's say I don't get the Safety Group and later on I'll find a totaled JL at a scrap yard and try to buy the tail lights for much cheaper than $899. Would they work on my JL that originally did not come with them because mine won't have the blind spot. I don't care for the blind spot to works, just for the tail lights to work. Would they give any errors?
Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
upload_2018-2-6_9-15-42.png

Can you better word your title question? That is quite a mouthful.

There will be aftermarket options available down the road. If you don't want all the extra nonsense, don't pay for it.

OP
OP
kacper244

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
upload_2018-2-6_9-15-42.png

Can you better word your title question? That is quite a mouthful.

There will be aftermarket options available down the road. If you don't want all the extra nonsense, don't pay for it.
Sorry, fixed it.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
Like SimpleJL said, someone will figure out an aftermarket option. Diode Dynamics has already put LED turn signals and running lights for the JL on the market.

My plan is to replace the the incandescence bulbs on my Sport S with LED's as soon as I can.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
They are not an option on the Sport, only Sport S.... I would rather they offer more packages to the Sport. The Sport S just has too much crap on it for me

Sponsored

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
In general, most Mopar vehicles don't play nice when you swap housings out to a premium model's offering. I imagine they will bolt-on the same as the non-LED setup, but some wiring modifications or a conversion harness will have to be required for an easy swap.

Good example, Dodge Ram. There's several headlight options out there depending on trim level, with the projector housing being the most desirable. We've produced a conversion harness for the Ram that makes it a direct, plug & play swap.

Thanks!
Nick C.

Wrangler Newbie

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 35i
I really want to order the Sport S but the LED lighting along with DRL are important to me. I'm a newbie to all this Jeep stuff but do you veterans think this will be an option for 2019? The lighting is kind of a deal-breaker so I'm thinking I need to wait. Remember: I am a newbie and not mechanically inclined so I wouldn't know the first thing about buying aftermarket lighting.

Anyone with real insight on to whether the LED will be available for 2019?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I really want to order the Sport S but the LED lighting along with DRL are important to me. I'm a newbie to all this Jeep stuff but do you veterans think this will be an option for 2019? The lighting is kind of a deal-breaker so I'm thinking I need to wait. Remember: I am a newbie and not mechanically inclined so I wouldn't know the first thing about buying aftermarket lighting.

Anyone with real insight on to whether the LED will be available for 2019?
I had this same dilemma. I was going for a Sport S like I had but the LED option was very important to me. When I optioned a Sport S with the options I would have on the Sahara it was about a 3K difference. Then I figured to upgrade all of the LED lighting from Mopar with labor would be at minimal 1.5K. This made the difference between the two models 1.5K total. I then looked at what else the Sahara package gave me for that 1.5K difference.
  • HD Brakes
  • Better shocks
  • Dual Climate Control
  • Interior LED Ambient Lighting
I know there are a few more small details I am forgetting. Bottom line I decided that the 1.5K in difference (after adding LED lights from Mopar) was worth the money I was spending.

Wrangler Newbie

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 35i
I had this same dilemma. I was going for a Sport S like I had but the LED option was very important to me. When I optioned a Sport S with the options I would have on the Sahara it was about a 3K difference. Then I figured to upgrade all of the LED lighting from Mopar with labor would be at minimal 1.5K. This made the difference between the two models 1.5K total. I then looked at what else the Sahara package gave me for that 1.5K difference.
  • HD Brakes
  • Better shocks
  • Dual Climate Control
I know there are a few more small details I am forgetting. Bottom line I decided that the 1.5K in difference (after adding LED lights from Mopar) was worth the money I was spending.
I appreciate the feedback and fully understand your thinking but I really want to get a 2-Door. Tried to make the numbers work configuring a Rubicon but that's just too much Jeep because I doubt I'll ever do real 4-wheeling. There would be a lot of underutilized options.

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I will be placing an order for my JL soon and I'm trying to justify the price of the Safety Group. I don't really care about the blind spot or the parking sensors, all I really want is the LED tail lights. Let's say I don't get the Safety Group and later on I'll find a totaled JL at a scrap yard and try to buy the tail lights for much cheaper than $899. Would they work on my JL that originally did not come with them because mine won't have the blind spot. I don't care for the blind spot to works, just for the tail lights to work. Would they give any errors?
The blind spot sensors sit on a separate bracket which hides within the LED tails; you don’t need them, you can run the taillights alone. They are plug and play however the vehicle needs to be told that you have LED taillights. The Tazer JL does have the capability of programming for LED taillights.

Sponsored

mtomac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL - 2017 Silverado 3500 Duramax - 17 Chevy Equinox
  • Dual Climate Control
My SportS has these

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Dual Climate Control
My SportS has these
You can set the driver temp different than the passenger temp? On the Jeep compare tool this is NA for Sport and Sport S. It has temp control but not dual being your passenger could have warm air and you could set driver side to cool air.

When you move the dial for interior lighting you have the foot wells light up bright and dim to nothing as well? Another feature not listed for Sport and Sport S on the Jeep compare tool and many have Sports that wonder what that dial is for because they do not have ambient lighting. It only adjust the door handle and cup holder light for them.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You can set the driver temp different than the passenger temp? On the Jeep compare tool this is NA for Sport and Sport S. It has temp control but not dual being your passenger could have warm air and you could set driver side to cool air.

When you move the dial for interior lighting you have the foot wells light up bright and dim to nothing as well? Another feature not listed for Sport and Sport S on the Jeep compare tool and many have Sports that wonder what that dial is for because they do not have ambient lighting. It only adjust the door handle and cup holder light for them.
No LED ambient in my sport s but it has dual climate control adjusted either by dial or 7” screen controls.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dual climate control gives you and your passenger individual temp adjustment settings:

upload_2018-5-16_11-31-53.png