Sponsored

Would Sahara wheels improve the street driveability of my Rubicon?

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
Somebody in my area is selling some "new" Sahara wheels/tires for a reasonable price and I'm wondering if having them as a second set would increase the streetability of my 2-Door Rubicon as I only off-road 2-3 times a month. I own both a garage and two floor jacks, so I can probably change them all out in less than an hour if need be. Would installing them give me NOTICEABLY better mpg's, handling, ride and acceleration...plus save my meatier treads for true off-roading?

Jeep Wrangler JL Would Sahara wheels improve the street driveability of my Rubicon? Sahara Wheels
Sponsored

Tushar

First Name
Tushar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara , 2013 Jeep Compass
Would definitely be a lot quieter not sure about better mpg. What setup are you currently running ?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you have the Falken MTs, probably. The BFG KO2s ride pretty nice and are relatively quiet. Usually a 20” wheel with the lower profile tire will ride worse though.

You would be better off finding some stock take off wheels, then putting an SL/XL rated tire on them like a Michelin Defender or similar all season tire. You will want to keep the diameter close to the 32.6” of your current tire unless you want to reprogram the speedometer. A few tenths in either direction won’t matter.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Not apples to apples, but I borrowed a set of 17" street tires off a JK when I had my Jeep dyno'd. There was a VERY noticeable improvement in ride, braking and acceleration compared to the 35x11.5 Nittos... Can't speak to mpgs though.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I am thinking the same thing.....following this thread.

Sponsored

bestert

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep Wrang
If you have the Falken MTs, probably. The BFG KO2s ride pretty nice and are relatively quiet. Usually a 20” wheel with the lower profile tire will ride worse though.

You would be better off finding some stock take off wheels, then putting an SL/XL rated tire on them like a Michelin Defender or similar all season tire. You will want to keep the diameter close to the 32.6” of your current tire unless you want to reprogram the speedometer. A few tenths in either direction won’t matter.
Thanks for the advice!!!

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Ask the seller to try them to see if they meet your expectations. Leave a big deposit or take him for a ride.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Recently went from Sahara stock 32" Dueler A/Ts on 18" wheels to Rubicon take-offs 33" KO2's on 17" wheels.

TBH, the Rubi take-offs ride waaay better. I gave up ~1-2 MPG but the extra ~1" of sidewall made a noticeable difference - the ride is much, much softer.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
The gearing on the Sahara is the biggest advantage in terms of MPG, not the stock wheels. I went from the stock Sahara wheels & tires to stock 392 Rubi takeoffs and haven't noticed a significant change in mpg. That includes road trip from FL to MD (once on each set).

kiddy2fan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer, 2011 Honda Civic
Recently went from Sahara stock 32" Dueler A/Ts on 18" wheels to Rubicon take-offs 33" KO2's on 17" wheels.

TBH, the Rubi take-offs ride waaay better. I gave up ~1-2 MPG but the extra ~1" of sidewall made a noticeable difference - the ride is much, much softer.
Interesting, I just replaced the 32" Dueler H/T 18s on my sport Altitude for BFG K02s with the E rating and ride is just as good and feels more connected to the road.
Sponsored