• Watchers 4

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
#2 Diesel starts to wax at around 25 deg F, and will gel at around 15 deg F. When it gels, it plugs the fuel filter up, and won’t do through a lot of fuel pumps. #1 diesel is good to around zero deg. Below 0 F you fuel treatment and/or fuel heaters. Most cold climates sell a #1/#2 blend or straight #1 in winter.

If you can get your Jeep in a garage and warm, it will be fine.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 59498

Damn that is a balmy day at 30! :)

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Pump the gas, wait that doesn’t sound right. Take the air cleaner lid off and make sure the choke is working, wait that’s not it. Roll start in second gear. Nope that’s not right either. ❄☃
I would have roll started, but they might not have that option.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Jeep would not start on cold day yesterday. Just turned over and sputtered and then nothing but turning engine over. Didn't want to run the battery down, hopefully not the fuel pump it drove and ran just fine before parking for a day. Should have put it in the garage but wasn't paying attention to weather forecast. Supposed to warm up to near 30 today and mid thirties tomorrow.

If I just put ignition to run without brake pressed, I can hear the pump working but sort of loud so was hoping it was still working correctly. Of course when your Jeep doesn't start everything sounds loud and notice stuff normally would not.

When people with fuel pump failure tried to start could you even hear the pump working? Will try again when it warms up this afternoon, otherwise no idea have to send it to the dealer.

Did see a thread here that another member had similar problem in Texas when it got super cold. But fingers crossed.

This must be your first Diesel Vehicle.
Stock up on anti-gel additives, and extension cords your block heater.

Sponsored

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
Did you get it running? Two weeks ago when I was in Utah I had trouble starting mine after sitting for a couple days with a temps in upper teens and low 20s. It started after a long pause and was very noisy. The temp gauges were all at 22F. It was very unhappy and loud when I put it in gear so I let it idle for 15-20min which got the transmission temp up to around 60F. Moved it to a sunny spot and was OK after that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59498

Go get some diesel 911, should fix it right up. Afterwards, make sure you treat your fuel with a little Hot Shot. It's worth the extra precaution in colder environments. I had to walk 3 miles in snowy conditions to get the 911 stuff when I bought from a bad station and did not have any treatment, tough lesson.
Worked like a charm. All good now. Thank you!

OP
OP

Deleted member 59498

Did you get it running? Two weeks ago when I was in Utah I had trouble starting mine after sitting for a couple days with a temps in upper teens and low 20s. It started after a long pause and was very noisy. The temp gauges were all at 22F. It was very unhappy and loud when I put it in gear so I let it idle for 15-20min which got the transmission temp up to around 60F. Moved it to a sunny spot and was OK after that.
Yep same issue. Think mine dipped below zero surprisingly overnight.

In garage now with some fresh fuel.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Yep same issue. Think mine dipped below zero surprisingly overnight.

In garage now with some fresh fuel.
Crazy it was gelling diesel! I have driven about 750k miles in Cummins diesel trucks. I have never added anti-gel. It is as Least as cold where I live as most AK. I don’t know when they switch, I would think Alaska would switch pretty early. I don’t know if we ever switch to summer fuel here since I never notice any mileage change. But we only have about 60 days a year that stay above freezing. You should not have to add 911. But glad it fixed you up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59498

Crazy it was gelling diesel! I have driven about 750k miles in Cummins diesel trucks. I have never added anti-gel. It is as Least as cold where I live as most AK. I don’t know when they switch, I would think Alaska would switch pretty early. I don’t know if we ever switch to summer fuel here since I never notice any mileage change. But we only have about 60 days a year that stay above freezing. You should not have to add 911. But glad it fixed you up.
Yeah I have never had an issue here before but it was like 33 degrees that morning and -3 or -4 that night not counting wind gust. Maybe some water in there some where? I had about 40% fuel in it at the time.

Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Yeah I have never had an issue here before but it was like 33 degrees that morning and -3 or -4 that night not counting wind gust. Maybe some water in there some where? I had about 40% fuel in it at the time.
You know it could have been watery fuel. Didn’t think of that! Not gelled. Funny thing about diesel is that it won’t collect water in winter. You can store diesel forever here since it is always too cold and dry to condensate. I run my tractor on diesel down to -40*F without anti-gel additive.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59498

Yeah I will stick with Chevron in the future, so much for saving 15 cents a gallon!

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
From the owner's manual:

Jeep Wrangler JL Would not start, cold morning 1670264056683

OP
OP

Deleted member 59498

I put the owners manual on the engine cover but it still didn't start.