Sponsored

Would like some insight on how it would be to daily a wrangler.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
There are a lot of compromises with the Wrangler. Drive a Wrangler then drive a Grand Cherokee and you'll see what I mean. I notice little things every time I drive my Wrangler, but I'm not picky and I dismiss the differences because I bought my Wrangler to do trails with. If I wasn't going to do trails I wouldn't have bought it, however there are people who drive them every day and never go off of the pavement so they either don't notice much difference or they dismiss it just to maintain the look and image.
Sponsored

TX MOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 MOAB
Children will cry, guys will bite my ear and throw beer at me and women will run when they find out I spent over 60k for a Rubicon with the XR package to find it will spend most of its time on the pavement. I say fuck 'em. Their horses too if they rode in on them. Get what you want. I wanted the XR. Road wise, I love the thing. I would never go back to any other vehicle. I had the Sahara and honestly, the Rubi feels about the same just taller. I need to grab my wife's ass to help push her up into her seat. She is tiny. At the end of the day it's a machine. It may or may not break. Get a warranty for comfort. Go out and drive the thing road or dirt. It's your toy, your life whichever you choose. (Personally, I would never have considered the Bronco. It's just another retro reintroduction trying to capitalize on character it once had)
This is the perfect reply. Almost every car is more than what anyone needs. If you drive your XR Jeep to the mall, who cares.

As for the bronco, if they built that thing and gave it any other name, everyone would think its just another crappy ford product. Ford has done a great job of milking every dime it can out of the brand name ‘bronco’.

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
But is it worth 5k more then how I’d option the Willy’s with the xtreme recon package ? That’s the decision Id have to Make. I’d also probably pay for a lift and bigger tires if I get the standard rubicon as well. As opposed to the Willy’s I can option it with the xtreme recon and it would be less, seems like good value. I have time to decide which way I’ll go. Tough choice
XR Package is a pretty good deal. I wish they had that option on the 2 door Rubicons. It's worth it for the 4.56 gear ratio alone if you take it offroad.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
For the past 15 years my Wrangler has been my daily drive. The first 12 were in a 2007 JK 2 door, lifted with 35" tires. We also took it off road whenever we had a chance. Had to trade in 2019 as it was having some serious/$$ issues, for a 2019 JLU, still my daily drive with 285/70/17 on it. I usually get between 17 mpg (remote start in winter) to 21 mpg for the warmer months.
Probably not going to lift this one, I'm getting older and hasn't been offroad yet in the 3 years we've had it. Drive what you want whether it's a daily drive and no offroading or daily drive with off roading.

Last edited:

SwampWitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys JL
I drive a 2 door Willy’s everyday - 60 miles round trip.
Light off-roading when I want/need to.
I absolutely love it!
Except for the dash speakers. They’re kinda cringy.

Sponsored

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
I've daily drove a jk willys and now a jl Willy's and no issues unless you care about gas mileage, although from what I hear the Bronco is worse.
If I had to do it over I'd get the Willy's XR and not look back
It wasn't available in 2021.

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
Well, I just picked up my 2023 2-Door Willys Sport the day before Givethanksing and have been daily driving it ever since. I grin from ear to ear each time I get in it and I have never done that before with any other vehicle. I'm hooked and I don't care who knows it. With the 2.0L Turbo in the 2-Door, it drives like a ticked-off teenager, which makes it really fun by the way. With the mud terrains it follows the grooves and and notches in the pavement, so it takes paying more attention, just like with my lifted Tacoma I traded in for this beast. They are fun to drive, and I haven't even had a chance to take the doors and top off yet. If I have this much fun on-road with this thing, I can't wait to see how much fun I'm going to have when I finally have a chance to get it muddy and crawl some rocks with it. So what am I saying??????? DO IT, DO IT NOW!
5fk1d7.gif

Jean Genie

First Name
Jeana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Willys, 2023 HVY Rubicon XR
But is it worth 5k more then how I’d option the Willy’s with the xtreme recon package ? That’s the decision Id have to Make. I’d also probably pay for a lift and bigger tires if I get the standard rubicon as well. As opposed to the Willy’s I can option it with the xtreme recon and it would be less, seems like good value. I have time to decide which way I’ll go. Tough choice
Tough choice, but FUN choice. When I bought my first Wrangler I didn't know a thing about Jeeps. All I knew was that I had wanted one forever and it was finally a time in my life when I could afford something fun vs. the practical cars I've always driven.
My single best decision was joining this forum. I learned so much just from the questions other members asked. Then I went out a drove a bunch of Jeeps. That helped tremendously. Then I got on the jeep website and built a bunch of configurations so I could figure out what I wanted and get a good idea of the cost.
Finally I started contacting dealers that had Jeeps on their lot that I was interested in. That part wasn't as fun. Lots of run around on the price, etc. Eventually I found a dealer on Ratbert's list that sells under invoice and I custom ordered a Willys exactly the way I wanted it.
I've been really happy with the Willys and it was my daily driver until last month. My husband just inherited the Willys and I got a new Jeep a couple of weeks ago. Now we're a 2-Jeep Family and we couldn't be happier. Honestly I'm not sure if we'll ever off road and I don't care. This is the most fun I've ever had driving any vehicle ever. That feeling is irreplaceable!
Good luck with whatever you decide. They're both great options and I look forward to hearing what you choose!

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
To be fair at the same time I’ve never had a vehicle capable of off roading, it’s possible I give it a try who knows. I’m 24 now but when I was younger I fell in love with the look of a jeep/boxy suv. I can get a BMW/German car if I want want but then I’d have what most people I know around my age have 😂I just wanted to know how it is as a daily, I heard from people who’ve driven both a Jeep and bronco that a bronco is better on road but I don’t know how true that is.
I’ve daily driven EVERY Jeep I’ve ever owned since I first bought a 72 CJ-5 back when I was 22. They are great. I’ve had pretty much each version of the Wrangler, even before they were called that. They are great 4-season vehicles. You’ll love it in the summer, you’ll love it in the winter, and all the time in between. I drive to work, vacations, to the grocery store, to other states to go wheeling, I even jump at the chance just to pick my daughter up from school. She could walk, I would just rather take my Jeep. Maybe all my Jeeps have ruined me, cause test driving a Bronco did nothing for me, felt like an overgrown station wagon. No soul. But hey, some people like that. Just my $0.02

Lrb2022

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Recon, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
If you do lots of road trips and infrequent off road then get the Bronco. If no off roading then the only reason to get either the Wrangler or Bronco is you just like them. This is the reason we got ours😁. I have owned Wranglers for years but the Bronco definitely has better road manners. Love them both.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would like some insight on how it would be to daily a wrangler. 9AB81C22-36F1-492E-B605-DFE37DE2C299

Sponsored

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
At 24 you are YOUNG! Not a knock, but many of us here got hooked on Jeeps of all flavors, some of us younger that’s you are when we started. (18 for me). I’m not going to knock the Ford, bit I look at it this way, the Jeep Wrangler has STAYED in production with improvements and updates as time allows . The Bronco being a new product is in it’s teething phase with it’s own issues.

With things changing so much in the market, (Electrification) I would get what you want sooner than later. I am sure that someday an electric Jeep or Bronco will do fine, but it seems a long way off.
I'm 76 and have been driving jeeps since the early 70's and the JLU is by far the most comfortable. I daily drive it and STILL off-road on weekends. Easy to do in Arizona with our weather and so many great trails.

Jay_Jeep

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S 2 Door
My 1st Jeep was a trade for a crotch rocket even up. I got a CJ5 with no doors or top and was hooked, that was back in 1996. I have driven a Jeep ever since CJ5, CJ7, JK’s and my new JL which I love. Gas mileage is terrible and my old man can’t figure out why I continue to drive something that gets such bad fuel economy. However, come summer and the doors come off along with the top and there is no better feeling. Handling is great in the snow as well. I’ll probably drive a Jeep as long as I can still drive. The Bronco is nice looking but it looks like an Escape to me and I’ve yet to see one with the top and doors off.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just bought a new to me Wrangler. I know that the idea is to get a Jeep dirty but I cry going through a puddle.
Go to Chipotle and pick up their wettest meatiest salad bowl to go and leave it on your front seat. Perhaps enough salad bowls to treat an office of people. Once those fluids melt out of the bag, it will break the new car feeling and smell. When you’re done with chipotle, go to Green Acres Mall and park close to the entrance so someone can key the sides and another ignorant driver can back into your Jeep bashing the rear bumper into the quarter panel. I think after that you’ll do what I have done and start splashing through any puddles to hopefully soak some poor curb bystander to oblivion. From there you can drive over the islands in a parking lot to show everyone you can and you’re looking for the best parking spot crossing where you feel like it.

I’ve been there ;)

Of course I’m kidding! Enjoy your Jeep!

(but am I really kidding…. Hmmm)

LARSONEM

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
a ford is no longer an option now. Im past that😂. Now im just deciding between a jeep Willys xtreme recon package or the rubicon standard and getting an aftermarket lift. I’m Leaning towards the Willy’s. Regardless I will definitely own a wrangler lol
As a guy with a 2022 Rubicon XR I'd have to ask you why would you even think about buying a standard Rubicon, then dumping the money in add on stuff. I've been there and done that. The $3995 they ask for the XR package is a bargain compared to what you'd spend doing the same mods to a standard Rubicon. I spent $4370 doing my 2012 Wrangler Rubicon including the labor because quite honestly for $550 I didn't feel like getting my hands dirty. The problem is that money doesn't include the two great things the XR package comes standard with; Performance Brakes and a 4.56 axle ratio. I looked at doing brakes on my 2012, but aftermarked performance brakes can easily run $1000-$2000 per axle. Save yourself the time and money and just get the XR package on the Rubi from the factory.

2012 WRANGLER LIFT COSTS.jpg

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
so im basically cross shopping between a bronco and wrangler. I’ve already decided on what trim and package to get if I were to get a bronco. Now im leaving no stone unturned and looking at a wrangler, so far I’ve been looking at a 4dr Willy’s wrangler with the xtreme recon package. I don’t offroad but much like with the bronco I find value in having it come from factory built to have bigger tires and a lift since I love the look of it and would do it aftermarket anyway. How would the ride quality be with the package as a daily ? Or am I better off going with the Sahara or Willy’s without the xtreme recon? Thanks for the help in advance.
I daily a Rubicon XR and honestly have no problems with it. That’s to be included short city driving and long distance driving. I’m assuming you know mpgs won’t be great but I get about 17-18mph most tanks depending on the type of driving. I never have really found an issue with comfort personally. Granted I’ve only owned Scion and Jeep so I’ve never experienced super comfortable rides, but I don’t find the Wranglers ride harsh by any means. Wind noise isint an issue either unless you are driving in 30+ mph winds and then you will hear that in any vehicle. Now as far as Willy’s XR or Rubicon base, if you aren’t going to off-road, definitely the Willy’s. You get the great look, cheaper, won’t void warranties, and still plenty capable off-road for easy to moderate stuff if you ever wanted to try it. Buying Rubicon for the name is crazy to me. Buy a Rubicon if you are going to use Rubicon features (sway bar disconnect, front and rear lockers, off-road plus) and which none will be of any use on road.
Sponsored