Sponsored

Would like some insight on how it would be to daily a wrangler.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
To be fair at the same time I’ve never had a vehicle capable of off roading, it’s possible I give it a try who knows. I’m 24 now but when I was younger I fell in love with the look of a jeep/boxy suv. I can get a BMW/German car if I want want but then I’d have what most people I know around my age have 😂I just wanted to know how it is as a daily, I heard from people who’ve driven both a Jeep and bronco that a bronco is better on road but I don’t know how true that is.
Lol, most people around your age are in used cars, econo boxes, or a hybrid/electric car if they can afford it. I've had quite a few different vehicles between regular and premium cars, CUVs, SUVs, and various stuff for work. I started my Jeep journey with my JT since I wanted the practicality of a small truck because of the normal negative niggles I've always heard with Wranglers.

Back when I got my last car before my JT I couldn't justify a JK because of it's shitty and old aged 5spd auto (and no I don't want to fool around with manual, even if I can). When they went to the new 8spd I looked again and the JT got my attention. It's a longer wheelbase so a lot of the negatives about on-road manners were negated. Well, after having it for 2-years I finally figured I wanted something shorter after a few offroad trips.

Now I'm in my JLR and couldn't be happier :D I originally went to look at 4xes and while I found them nice the price was a bit eh, as I wasn't sure I'd ever see the full $7,500 credit to help negate the cost. The 4xes on the lots around here only had the hard top and using it on my JT I knew I wanted a soft top so I could have more roof off time. The only soft top I could find was on a 2-door so I took it out for a drive, and that changed everything for me.

The 2-door was so fun and zippy that I immediately fell in love. I started to research it more and since I'm single found no issues. 95%+ I'm by myself, for the rare times I'm not I only have 1 other person with me so no worries. If it can fit your lifestyle I'd really suggest looking at a 2-door, take 1 for a test drive, they're great fun. I DD mine since I got it in August and still love it every day. Not a huge difference over my premium car even except for some noise and more loose handling, but that's expected going to a taller SUV.

I also highly suggest trying some light offroading to start, it's really fun. Or maybe not, because then you'll really want to Rubi. I started with a Sport S on my JT because I didn't offroad much. Then when I did I realized I missed the features I didn't have lol. GL with your choice!

Edit:

I'll also tell you that I got the 2.0T BECAUSE of the 3.6 in my JT. It is a smooth and dependable engine but it has been under-powered to get that reliability. While the 2.0T isn't really "better" based solely on stats, it does develop its power earlier on and feels better to me personally. Sure the noise won't impress anyone but I don't need a throaty noise to help me feel good about myself. More tq is good for me since I don't plan on using huge horse to push it at high speeds, that's not what this vehicle is about. The fact that the 2.0T also gets better mileage (on average) than the 3.6 is a bonus ;)

I'll second what someone else said about using a different dealer. You can always talk to multiple, anyone that's not a huge scumbucket won't really pressure you. I used Gupton and get 6% below MSRP. Their process was very smooth and straightforward. No dealer BS like what I used to go through. I saved money and hassle. my buddy and I just took a day to fly down to TN and then drive back, we just took it easy and had fun, was a pretty great little trip honestly. Can't recommend Gupton enough.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
I daily mine on 34’s with a leveling kit. No complaints, just need to get your tire pressure right with some good shocks. It’s not the best highway cruiser, especially with a soft top, but there’s nothing like a wrangler. People buy these for the experience and the ability to maneuver out of situations and obstacles.

PA isn’t too far - take it over to Rausch Creek On a day they have guides. Once you get the trail bug, you won’t shake it off. I’m hoping to do a winter trip in the coming months there, love snowy days.
34's are perfet. I've talked to so many people waffling between 33's and 35's, I always throw "just get 34's" at them, usually blows their minds, haha.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
34's are perfet. I've talked to so many people waffling between 33's and 35's, I always throw "just get 34's" at them, usually blows their minds, haha.
You really can’t tell the difference next to 35’s, except mine are a little skinnier Aka pizza cutters. Still get decent mpg and no complaints thus far with the Toyos!

OP
OP

migs

First Name
Miguelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet.
First off I have good friend that is a full on Ford guy he has a 22 F350 Tremor and a stock 17 Rubicon. He's put a fair amount of miles on his cousin's 22 Bronco Sasquatch and my 22 JLU. He was impressed with the acceleration of the Bronco (2.7) but that's about it. In a nut shell he feels like the Bronco has some serious quality issues that need to be addressed before he'd ever considder one.
IMO for the cost of the XR package you could get yourself a Rubicon thendo your own mods. 35's and a lift are are easy to add compared to all the other goodies you get with a Rubi. Building "your" jeep is half the fun and the Rubi is the perfect platform. Find a lift that fits your needs, then pick out some sick (as my kids would say) wheels and tires.
So a standard rubicon with 35s and a lift or a Willy’s xr ? Decisions 🤔what would be the benefit of going with the standard rubicon over the Willy’s Xr ?

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly man, I think people drastically exaggerate how big of a difference there is between daily driving a Jeep vs any other cookie cutter POS crossover. Diehard enthusiasts can probably tell a difference in road manners between an independent front suspension and a solid axle vehicle, but full disclosure: I can't.
Exaggerate? I don't.
Consider yourself lucky that you cannot tell the difference. Its night and day.
I will keep both of my wranglers bc I love that they are a different beast....but they do ride differently in nearly every way...worse on road....but thats not what they were designed for.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@migs,

Miguelle,
Just want to chime in to let you know that my 2019 JL 2 door Sport S 3.6L Auto is the best damn daily I have ever owned. By far bar none. It's a fribben blast.

I've added a 2.5" lift, with 35's and a Sway bar disconnect kit. So while I do off-road the hell out of this thing, living along the northern Front Range of Colorado the foothills are my back yard and some 12000 ft mountain passes are just about a half hour away. Many higher certainly within an easy drive.

But driving around the greater Denver area is more fun than any vehicle I've ever owned. Even lifted, it drives great. Sure it's not some cushy Camry but given the ability of being able to take this thing into the most amazingly spectacular wilderness on even the slightest whim, to me is priceless.

It handles as well as any other SUV I've owned, with the 3.6L it has plenty enough 'get up and go' even on 35's. I get typically around 23mpg here in the city and it is just a pure joy to continue to row through the gears (using AutoStick) if I want, or just let this amazing ZF8 transmission impress me on its own.

To me Broncos are nothing more than a Jeep wanna-be. Ford's attempt to break into the off-road market with something that doesn't quite deliver.

If you're serious about getting into a vehicle that can really take you off the beaten path more then any other, the JL (of any flavor) is your best bet and one you won't regret. If you'll stay confined to the city however, then settle with whatever puts a smile on your face.

For me, Snoopy always has me grinning from ear-to-ear no matter where he meanders.

For what it's worth. Best regards,
Jay
Jeep Wrangler JL Would like some insight on how it would be to daily a wrangler. InShot_20200915_223133135

Jeep Wrangler JL Would like some insight on how it would be to daily a wrangler. 372ee531af3d8b39dcb94dfcc0933141--snoopy-charlie-charlie-brown

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
You really can’t tell the difference next to 35’s, except mine are a little skinnier Aka pizza cutters. Still get decent mpg and no complaints thus far with the Toyos!
you got the OC AT3? Great tires for me, I love them. 285/75

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
you got the OC AT3? Great tires for me, I love them. 285/75
Yep, same ones! I prefer them way more than KO2s, which get way more hype than they deserve.

Montanabound

First Name
Lol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Exaggerate? I don't.
Consider yourself lucky that you cannot tell the difference. Its night and day.
I will keep both of my wranglers bc I love that they are a different beast....but they do ride differently in nearly every way...worse on road....but thats not what they were designed for.
There’s a huge difference in ride quality….. Not as bad as an unladen dually though so that’s good lol…

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
I grew up riding on leaf springs, keeping my eyes on the road to avoid excessive wandering, always tightly clutching the steering wheel with both hands, listening to a wheezing engine, and hoping to get gas mileage in the low-teens. So, my two-liter, four cylinder, JL seems to ride just great on road and off and get good gas mileage to boot ...by comparison. I've learned to love this modern progress.

Sponsored

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Yep, same ones! I prefer them way more than KO2s, which get way more hype than they deserve.
Yeah, the KO2s are not that great IMO. I have run a few sets over the years, and they don't live up to the old reputation. When it comes to tires Ill swap out and sell until I find what works.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I drive my JLUR with 35" tires every day. I really enjoy the Jeep. It is not too bad on the highway.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
so im basically cross shopping between a bronco and wrangler. I’ve already decided on what trim and package to get if I were to get a bronco. Now im leaving no stone unturned and looking at a wrangler, so far I’ve been looking at a 4dr Willy’s wrangler with the xtreme recon package. I don’t offroad but much like with the bronco I find value in having it come from factory built to have bigger tires and a lift since I love the look of it and would do it aftermarket anyway. How would the ride quality be with the package as a daily ? Or am I better off going with the Sahara or Willy’s without the xtreme recon? Thanks for the help in advance.
I have had pickups, sports cars, and luxury type autos. But the best vehicle I have ever had and still enjoy and am not bored with already is my 4XE Rubicon. I just got back a few weeks ago from Montana with it. 1400 mile round trip and it was not bad at all.

I like it because its not seasonal here in my state like a sports car would be, it parks easy and yet will pull my trailer if I need to haul something, and I am not petrified of parking it somewhere because it melts in with all the others on the road. Parks easy, drives great, sits high with the 35s, small foot print, and can off road when needed.

My 392XR has been built and I am waiting for delivery. Which ever one I like better I will keep. I think I know which one that will be :)

T.Pigott

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland HA
Occupation
Soldier
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair at the same time I’ve never had a vehicle capable of off roading, it’s possible I give it a try who knows. I’m 24 now but when I was younger I fell in love with the look of a jeep/boxy suv. I can get a BMW/German car if I want want but then I’d have what most people I know around my age have 😂I just wanted to know how it is as a daily, I heard from people who’ve driven both a Jeep and bronco that a bronco is better on road but I don’t know how true that is.
Don't buy a Jeep as a daily driver unless you LOVE the Jeep's handling. It's different and most non Jeep people hate them on road. I personally love the Jeep's handling but I grew up driving 70s model American sedans. Big boat vehicles that rolled in turns and sunk in the rear when you hit the gas.