Sponsored

Would it make sense to add lockers/LSD to both axles of a JL Sport?

rdrjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
Okay...

So I guess you connect one end of these to the axle. I would expect you to connect the other end to some kind of button on the Jeep's dashboard. How does that work?

What power supply does it use? The third party aux switches attach to the battery and then power the devices to which they are connected. How does this work?

1612016571080.png
I installed Rubicon axels on my 2019 Sport-S and wired this harness to an
Jeep Wrangler JL Would it make sense to add lockers/LSD to both axles of a JL Sport? axle swa
Jeep Wrangler JL Would it make sense to add lockers/LSD to both axles of a JL Sport? stech2
S-tech switch but any switch system will work

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I installed Rubicon axels on my 2019 Sport-S and wired this harness to an
Jeep Wrangler JL Would it make sense to add lockers/LSD to both axles of a JL Sport? stech2
S-tech switch but any switch system will work
Cool. Thanks.

How has the performance been? Were you really able to find 8 things to connect to the switch?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We bought our 2019 jlur with dual purpose in mind. It has all the tech and creature comforts to make it enjoyable as the wife's daily driver. Adaptive cruise control, leather, alpine stereo, seat heaters, etc. All of these also come in very hand on long road trips to the trails. We wheeled it stock for the 1st year and kept the trails toward the moderate to moderately hard. It is more than capable enough for most people, even did all the hard lines on sleeping princess mine trail with nothing more than some belly scrapes. When we decided we were taking our 1st moab trip we bumped up to a 2.5" spacer lift and 37's. Dominated every trail with ease from top of the world to poison spider/golden spike/ gold bar rim. No other mods are necessary on a Rubicon. The 4.10's are low enough for street use and the 4-1 transfer case still provides more gearing than you'll ever need off road. If you are planning to go 33-37's as your build, and run difficult trails, the rubicon is the way to go. Stronger and wider axles, better gearing, better transfer case, sway bar disconnect, and a higher resale value all tip in the rubicons favor. If you plan to start very moderate in build and trail selection, go with the sport. If you're going full build, it's kind of a wash as the rubicon parts sell quick and for top dollar. Even on 37's in a rubicon, the rock trails can get you. Holcomb creek cost us a steering stabilizer and an oil pan. Dent in the pan was minor, but replaced it anyway and added an asfir4Ă—4 engine skid. Metalcloak fad skid and stabilizer relocation took care of the other weak point. It still boggles my mind why jeep mounts the stabilized under the tie rod to this day. Literally the 1st trail damage on every jk or jl I've ever seen wheeling is that rock magnet.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
If you want to do all the trails around Moab and avoid inch worming your way up to Rubicon capability with expensive and often remorseful after market options, then get a Rubicon. That's been my experience. You must consider that it was the after market of the '90s that inspired the Rubicon. If Jeep didn't build one, then Toyota would. In 2004 Toyota immediately recognized that Daimler/Chrysler beat 'em to the punch and beat 'em bad.

Sponsored

MudHorn4xforLife

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler 80th Anniversary Edition
As I understand it a lunchbox locker like Aussie would be fine if the front D30, the rear however could quite possibly have spline issues due to the number of splines and the material composit. I have a Sport S and bought rubicon suspension takeoff parts added the longer lower control arms (LCA) to correct for Castor geometry. This with 33” tires and I will probably be a little taller than a Rubicon. 35” may be possible but will probably rub. So my JL80 is $37,000 vs a rubi $44,300.
$37,000.00 JL80
$101.00 LCA’s with shipping
$75 Rubi shocks & Springs
$400 lunchbox locker
My math says I run with the big dogs for a whole lot less

havaguppy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'm seriously considering a JL which will be a daily driver that will also get some off-road and even off trail use in desert/mtn type areas, like Moab.

I was thinking of something like an ARB or Eaton E-lock in the rear and a Torq Lock in the front to give it (almost) Rubicon off road capability. Is that set up worth it or is the Rubi still a better option? Thanks!
My Sport came with a Dana 44 LSD rear. I've had no problems with rocks or sand...yet.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
First, drive it, wheel it for 6 months to a year. Now what do I need vs. what do I want.

My list. In order of install.
Level up kit or 1-2 inch spacer lift (80-350$)
Longer better shocks. (200-500$)
Front Sway bar disconnect. (90-375)
Front ARB. (1300-1500$)
Tires 33’s. (600-1200$)
F&R bumpers. (800-2200$)
Winch. (400-1800$)

I’m keeping the stock rear LSD. (Previous experience with a Detroit in the rear and NO sway bars front or rear on a YJ-just not that crazy or hardcore anymore)

Shocks—better to help with the “little lift” or leveling option.

ARB- best mod ever to my last YJ. (Front only)

I’ll wait on tires as mine has 32’s presently.

Bumpers?— some sort of front end skid protection would be an incorporated preference.

Winch? old school receiver mount front or rear. 5klb w/ a pulley and synthetic rope.

So- the cost. $3800 to “shouldaboughtarubicon”.

Now-If they’d toss in a 3 speed transfer case (2.5 and 5.0), the 3.0 Diesel in a 2 door and a PTO. 4 inch lift and 37’s and I’ll start the second mortgage Super RUBICON paperwork.

My wheel’n days are not over. My ability to crawl under and around a 4x4 and walk 25 miles to get help is being screwed with by father-time.

My list, my money.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm seriously considering a JL which will be a daily driver that will also get some off-road and even off trail use in desert/mtn type areas, like Moab.

I was thinking of something like an ARB or Eaton E-lock in the rear and a Torq Lock in the front to give it (almost) Rubicon off road capability. Is that set up worth it or is the Rubi still a better option? Thanks!
- Take off wheels/tires: $1200 (w/ KO2's)
- Take off sliders: $100
- Take off skid plates: $100
- Take off Rubicon suspension: $500
- 2" Spacer kit: $400
- Quick Disconnects: $150
Total: $2450

This is the 'toss up' situation I describe in my post below this one.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not looking to lift or go over 33" tires. Other than the lockers/LSD and maybe additional skid plates, it'll remain stock. Heck, my thinking is that a pure stock Wrangler Sport is pretty darn capable off road. I'm just looking to up its game somewhat. Having driven a lot of off road miles with open diffs, the thought of having power to all four wheels is very appealing.
Honestly if you stick to the trails that are 6 and below in Moab, you don't need a locker and you don't need a lift, though... it would be nice (you will scrape quite a bit at stock JL height).

Purely $$$ eval
------------------
No Lift, No Locker = Stick to Sport
Lift, No Locker = Toss up -- I think the money you get back on resale from the Rubicon will make up the $3500 difference after you add all the take offs (and you still don't have the t-case, gears, front locker)
Lift + Locker = Buy the Rubicon.

The one benefit to a Sport in the toss up situation is you can truly just build as you go and only incur the cost when you feel right. But you might be on the losing side of the equation once you sell it in that scenario.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
As I understand it a lunchbox locker like Aussie would be fine if the front D30, the rear however could quite possibly have spline issues due to the number of splines and the material composit. I have a Sport S and bought rubicon suspension takeoff parts added the longer lower control arms (LCA) to correct for Castor geometry. This with 33” tires and I will probably be a little taller than a Rubicon. 35” may be possible but will probably rub. So my JL80 is $37,000 vs a rubi $44,300.
$37,000.00 JL80
$101.00 LCA’s with shipping
$75 Rubi shocks & Springs
$400 lunchbox locker
My math says I run with the big dogs for a whole lot less
Now add the price of the 33’s that came on the rubicon, skid plates you don’t have, 4-1 tcase you’re lacking, sway bar disconnects, rocker protection, and higher clearance fenders when you do want to go to 35’s and you have already spent that $7k easy. You still have narrower and weaker axles, your locker isn’t selectable and you only have 1, your disconnects are manual, and your resale value is still thousands less than the rubicon. If you want to ”hang with the big dogs” either buy the rubicon out the gate, or at least upgrade your axles.

OP
OP
west tex

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Just returned from ordering the Sport at the local Jeep dealership. It'll have the LSD rear and the 80th Anniversary pkg. I won't be lifting or adding big tires, as it comes with 32s and I won't go bigger than 33s when they need replacing. Still interested in a front locker like an ARB or OX. And the sway bar disconnect, too. Might add a skid plate under the oil pan/trans.

I appreciate all the good advice everyone has offered in this thread.

Thanks, guys. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
west tex

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
First, drive it, wheel it for 6 months to a year. Now what do I need vs. what do I want.

My list. In order of install.
Level up kit or 1-2 inch spacer lift (80-350$)
Longer better shocks. (200-500$)
Front Sway bar disconnect. (90-375)
Front ARB. (1300-1500$)
Tires 33’s. (600-1200$)
F&R bumpers. (800-2200$)
Winch. (400-1800$)

I’m keeping the stock rear LSD. (Previous experience with a Detroit in the rear and NO sway bars front or rear on a YJ-just not that crazy or hardcore anymore)

Shocks—better to help with the “little lift” or leveling option.

ARB- best mod ever to my last YJ. (Front only)

I’ll wait on tires as mine has 32’s presently.

Bumpers?— some sort of front end skid protection would be an incorporated preference.

Winch? old school receiver mount front or rear. 5klb w/ a pulley and synthetic rope.

So- the cost. $3800 to “shouldaboughtarubicon”.

Now-If they’d toss in a 3 speed transfer case (2.5 and 5.0), the 3.0 Diesel in a 2 door and a PTO. 4 inch lift and 37’s and I’ll start the second mortgage Super RUBICON paperwork.

My wheel’n days are not over. My ability to crawl under and around a 4x4 and walk 25 miles to get help is being screwed with by father-time.

My list, my money.

I hear ya.

I was still crawling under vehicles and changing oil/wrenching until a few years ago. But now I'm staring down the barrel at 70 and those days are over for me. But still interested in off roading, with very fond memories of Moab.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just returned from ordering the Sport at the local Jeep dealership. It'll have the LSD rear and the 80th Anniversary pkg. I won't be lifting or adding big tires, as it comes with 32s and I won't go bigger than 33s when they need replacing. Still interested in a front locker like an ARB or OX. And the sway bar disconnect, too. Might add a skid plate under the oil pan/trans.

Thanks, guys. đź‘Ť
Congrats on your purchase. No matter what, fun is guaranteed!

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys

Thanks, guys. đź‘Ť
Congrats!! Yes, get the sway bar disconnects. I will shortly post my experience with APEX ones I had mentioned a few days back on this thread.
Sponsored