Sponsored

Would I be better off with a hardtop?

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I got my JL last year with a soft top because I'm down in SoCal and figured I'd have the top down most of the time. The problem is, when I put the soft top all the way down 1) I don't like how it looks covering up the back roll bars. 2) It acts like a parachute and really slows my Jeep down 3) Makes it impossible to see out of the rear view 4) Makes a bounce noise anytime I hit a bump. I also didn't think I'd have anywhere to store a hard top, so I got the soft top to have it down when I wanted. But now I got myself a good sized storage unit and would actually have a place to keep the hard top. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to sell the soft top and get a hard one since whenever I want the top down I just take the entire soft top off. Anyone have any input on which they recommend? I don't have anyone who'd be able to help me remove the hardtop whenever I want, but could probably arrange something if I wanted. Or I've seen portable hard top removal stands that look like I could store that and the top in a storage unit. Plus my soft top can be quite noisy at times, and the latches sometimes pop off when on the highway.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Get the hardtop but don’t sell the soft top. As long as you have a place to store either, have them both.

OP
OP
The_Paper_Cut

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
Get the hardtop but don’t sell the soft top. As long as you have a place to store either, have them both.
I wish I could, but I don't think I can afford a $1,000 hard top right now. Selling the soft top would hopefully help me afford a used hard top. Plus I don't see a reason to have both, considering if I'm putting the soft top down then I'd take it completely off. So basically the same thing I'd do with the hard top

LAWS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Silver JLUR
Test drive a couple hard tops at the local dealer. I just got mine with the dual tops but am disappointed in the hardtop because it has a really noticeable buffetting sound above 30mph. After doing some research, Im not an anomaly, but I dont know if im a majority either. There are some fixes I will try when i put it back on in the fall before comitting to selling.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
To the OP
If your soft top does not latch down and stay down use a bungee chord wrapped around the bar that holds the rear window. when I lower mine it does the same as yours if I don't secure it! It stays tightly wrapped and stable. your supposed to be able to push down on the top when it is lowered and hear a click sound then you are supposed to lock the side latches and that is supposed to keep it in place. Mine never worked from new so I just remove the back window put the bar back and lower the top onto it and bungee top to tailgate bar, close tailgate and it is held in place...takes 2 seconds and works like a charm.

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I use Velcro steps to tighten it down and put the straps across the back window lower bar that I leave on when I take off the back window

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
JLUR is on order w/hardtop but I did own a JKU w/hardtop as well.

I'm in Atlanta where summer weather is unpredictable. It can be gorgeous early in the day with random pop up afternoon/evening showers. Makes it hard to commit to taking off the hardtop knowing it's a good chance you'd get caught in the rain at some point in the day. Made me sometimes wish for a soft top so I could be topless and if caught in the rain be able to just close the soft top.

Decided against it with the JK and the JL because I've never liked the look of the Jeep with the soft top opened/pushed back. There's just something about the look of a wrangler with the roof completely removed IMO.

If the weather pattern in SoCal tends to be more predictable and you can go topless for long periods of time, I'd say go for the hard top.

Keep in mind though, you'll be giving up the easy top up/top down benefits of the soft top. I have a pulley system in my garage so I can do it alone but it still takes effort and time.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
All your problems could have been alleviated with the sky touch option....

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
I have a hardtop and I take the top off/on easily by myself. I built a "stand" for it with door hangers on the side but early on I used 2 tables and walked between them and set it down. I just wanted something a little higher and to have somewhere to put the doors also. You definitely need to keep an eye on the weather forecast and its a good idea to have a cab cover to throw on it when parked outside. I have a Bestop sunrider I use with the hardtop during the cooler months but I go topless as much as I can when the weather is nice.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
All your problems could have been alleviated with the sky touch option....
I'm curious, what is the difference between soft top is safari mode and sky one touch option? I really dont see big difference. I think soft top is way more flexible option.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I'm curious, what is the difference between soft top is safari mode and sky one touch option? I really dont see big difference. I think soft top is way more flexible option.
Convenience mostly.
I dont have the soft top but all my vehicles have always had roof off with a button.
If the temp drops suddenly like it did by the water yesterday its a button away...plus those two corner windows come out. I've yet to though......
Any other option, you have to commit yourself I suppose...lol.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
To the OP
If your soft top does not latch down and stay down use a bungee chord wrapped around the bar that holds the rear window. when I lower mine it does the same as yours if I don't secure it! It stays tightly wrapped and stable. your supposed to be able to push down on the top when it is lowered and hear a click sound then you are supposed to lock the side latches and that is supposed to keep it in place. Mine never worked from new so I just remove the back window put the bar back and lower the top onto it and bungee top to tailgate bar, close tailgate and it is held in place...takes 2 seconds and works like a charm.
This, but i hook my bungees to the bottom of the back seat. Keeps everything tight and low.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I got my JL last year with a soft top because I'm down in SoCal and figured I'd have the top down most of the time. The problem is, when I put the soft top all the way down 1) I don't like how it looks covering up the back roll bars. 2) It acts like a parachute and really slows my Jeep down 3) Makes it impossible to see out of the rear view 4) Makes a bounce noise anytime I hit a bump. I also didn't think I'd have anywhere to store a hard top, so I got the soft top to have it down when I wanted. But now I got myself a good sized storage unit and would actually have a place to keep the hard top. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to sell the soft top and get a hard one since whenever I want the top down I just take the entire soft top off. Anyone have any input on which they recommend? I don't have anyone who'd be able to help me remove the hardtop whenever I want, but could probably arrange something if I wanted. Or I've seen portable hard top removal stands that look like I could store that and the top in a storage unit. Plus my soft top can be quite noisy at times, and the latches sometimes pop off when on the highway.

I ordered my new JL 80th with the hardtop for all the reasons you mention about soft top drawbacks. Mine has the MOPAR headliner installed and it's surprisingly quiet.
Sponsored