Sponsored

Would getting a 2 Door be stupid?

new to JL's

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR; 2010 JK Islander
Get the 4-door and make memories with the three children driving around with top down.
My next jeep will be a 2-door, but my kids are older/driving on their own..

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I know a lot of people love their 2 Door but I wanted to hear from people about their experience with them and see if my situation a 2 Door makes sense

Currently have a 2 year old and found out having twins in 6 months (woohoo). Because we are now a family of 5, my wife sold her vehicle and got a 3 row SUV to be able to fit 5 people and 3 car seats. This will be our long term family vehicle because I’m not

a) switching car seats back and forth all the time and
b) getting a 3 row SUV myself

Currently I have no vehicle myself but will need one. Had a 19 4 door in the past a loved it but now I’m wondering, would a 2 door work for me in this situation?

This will be just my fun vehicle really but also utility for errands, emergencies, short trips for whatever, etc. I work from home so this will not be my daily driver

I was thinking of removing the rear seats for more storage for bigger items that would be needed

Thoughts/opinions from people where would be great!
YES

E6DD2590-F5AD-46B7-BD49-C28F736A4D0C.jpeg

Sponsored

The Chubbernaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Substance Abuse Counselor
Clubs

Does that matter?
Only if you value your sanity. Not every wife wants to be regulated to soccer mom and taxi service. Also, they tend to be incredibly vindictive if it ever appears that you are having fun and enjoying life when they are not.

@Yolobaggins Buying a two door vehicle when you have a large family is short-sighted. That's three children that are going to have different schedules, appointments, emergencies, friends and activities; to say nothing of your own and your wife's. That's a lot to expect from one vehicle, which will undoubtedly not always be available either. You want a two-door, but you know that a four-door is the more flexible and practical decision. Part of being a parent and an adult is putting your wants on the back burner to satisfy the needs of the family. My suggestion would be to get the four-door and, the second they are old enough to justify it, trade it in for the two-door of your dreams.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
2013 JLU = Work and some play.
2018 JLUR = Hunt, wheel, camp. towing trailers when needed, Haul grand-kids to wheeling trips.
2023 JLR = Wife's DD, wheeling and hunting trips for Two. (pulled back seat).

My wife wont let me drive anything but Jeeps. Makes me go wheeling, makes me take her hunting, makes me hook up camper trailer and go camping. She's a tough one.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have and love my 2 door, but I have no kids. I can't picture buying a 4 door for my needs (even though they get better powertrain options. I would not recommend a 2 door to someone with kids.

Or you can go ahead and buy a two door, and enjoy it right up until the time your wife asks you to shuttle a couple kids somewhere and you say you can't because you don't have to room or that its a PIA with your Jeep. Then you may have to make a "family decision" and trade it in for something lame with 3 rows that is more practical.

I feel like Jeep made a 4 door compromise for the OPs situation.

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
My brother and I are 18 months apart. My sister is 8 years younger. Parents always had two cars, generally my mom drove the bigger/safer one and my dad drove the smaller. Jeep CJ, Alfa Spyder, Renault GTA, Mercury Capri XR2, Corvette. Mom had no interest in driving what he had, and he had no interest in what she had. So, it can and does work, but it involves planning.

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2013 JLU = Work and some play.
2018 JLUR = Hunt, wheel, camp. towing trailers when needed, Haul grand-kids to wheeling trips.
2023 JLR = Wife's DD, wheeling and hunting trips for Two. (pulled back seat).

My wife wont let me drive anything but Jeeps. Makes me go wheeling, makes me take her hunting, makes me hook up camper trailer and go camping. She's a tough one.
Great wife!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have a 2 door and a 2 year old. It works fine for us but we arent tall and/or heavy.

The issue I see is you will have 3 kids and they wont all fit. However, theyll be small for some time before you can all actually go "jeeping" together.

If the jeep is just for you, to use as an escape from the house madness. Go with the 2 door 100%. You wont feel the same sense of freedom and simplicity with the 4 door. Sometimes I take the top and doors off for weeks at a time and only I drive the Jeep. Sometimes I take the wife on dates. It brings memories of when it was just the 2 of us. You cant get that experience with the soccer mom jeep.

We just decided to go 2 door and figure it out. And we did.

If I had another kid I would keep my 2 door. 3 kids Id go 4 door tho. Because we do use the Jeep as a family vehicle at the moment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Would getting a 2 Door be stupid? IMG_20230212_094837804

Jeep Wrangler JL Would getting a 2 Door be stupid? IMG_20230212_094802187

OP
OP
Yolobaggins

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Thanks for all the amazing replies so far! You all have given great opinions

I see both sides pretty easily.

I use to have a 4 door JL and agreeing with some of the people here, even if I had a 4 door, getting 3 kids in the backseat would be VERY tight, like very tight and almost uncomfortable for me.

So if I were to do that, I would go straight bigger than a 4 door, at least that is my train of thought? I am unsure though

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
When I bought my 2-door, the first thing I did was remove the back seat and store it. Mine is a daily driver and I keep stuff in the back - bass amp and cab, some recovery stuff, etc. Have over 45K miles on it so far and still love it. Not having a back seat is a great excuse for being introverted (aka anti social). As long as you have another car to haul the family, whatever works, works. I will say that if I had to keep the back seat in, the jeep would be pretty useless to me. It really is only viable without the back seat. And no, I won't buy a JLU - just not interested (and the wife hates them, loves the 2-door, ymmv).

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My brother and I are 18 months apart. My sister is 8 years younger. Parents always had two cars, generally my mom drove the bigger/safer one and my dad drove the smaller. Jeep CJ, Alfa Spyder, Renault GTA, Mercury Capri XR2, Corvette. Mom had no interest in driving what he had, and he had no interest in what she had. So, it can and does work, but it involves planning.
My great grandparents raised 7 kids with covered wagons and handcarts. I mean, you can make anything “work”. What’s your comfort tolerance?

Sponsored