Would anyone buy a “new” 2018 JLUS now?

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
I use the cars.com app a lot (just for fun) and saw a 2018 JLU sport with a lift and what look like 35’s for $29,995. Would any of you even consider it? I messaged them to see if the steering fix had been done but I doubt it
Jeep Wrangler JL Would anyone buy a “new” 2018 JLUS now? 1603060594629
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Even if they haven't done the fix, ask them to.

Is it "new" as in no miles and sat this long? That would be rare I assume. Price seems great.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would!

I bought a NEW 2018 Sahara a year ago: it had most of the options I wanted and it was priced very well —MSRP $50,000; listed for $38,000. It had been sitting at the dealer for 18 months.

Hasn’t given me any issues whatsoever. So far it’s been more reliable than many 2019s and 2020s on here —knock on wood.

I had to travel 1,000 miles to get it, but I’d do it all over again.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'd play with them a bit and give a low offer. They may happily take it to move it along.

OP
OP
Obispo325

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It has 15,000 miles, though. That exceeds the maximum mileage to qualify as “new” in most states.

I’d be asking lots of questions...

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
In what universe does a two (almost three) year old vehicle, with 15K miles(!) and obvious aftermarket equipment installed, qualify as "New"?

I know that untitled vehicles can be advertised as New after some time has elapsed and some mileage has accrued; dealer demonstraters come to mind. That said, Clark Crain CDJR's ad attempts to stretch that accommodation well beyond its elastic limits.

Thirty thousand dollars gets within spitting distance of a properly new 2021 JLUS with none of the questionable provenance of the linked vehicle.

Hard pass here, mate.

OP
OP
Obispo325

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In what universe does a two (almost three) year old vehicle, with 15K miles(!) and obvious aftermarket equipment installed, qualify as "New"?

I know that untitled vehicles can be advertised as New after some time has elapsed and some mileage has accrued; dealer demonstraters come to mind. That said, Clark Crain CDJR's ad attempts to stretch that accommodation well beyond its elastic limits.

Thirty thousand dollars gets within spitting distance of a properly new 2021 JLUS with none of the questionable provenance of the linked vehicle.

Hard pass here, mate.
Jeez, I didn’t catch the mileage in the pic until you said that. I’m hoping that was a mistake that was supposed to be used.

Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Ken Garff Jeep in Salt Lake City has a bunch of 2018's with 25 miles. I bought mine from there and saved a lot of money, even after having it shipped to me.

Last edited:

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Well if you buy it..... it would be “New” to you!!!!! :)

Kidding of course. It sounds strange to me.

Last edited:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Pricing is relative. 4+ months ago when we had manufacturer incentives you could shop hard and get a new stripped sport model for close to that price, while similar used models were listed for higher. I stopped shopping in June after I bought a used 2018 for a little less than what new 2020s were going for. At that point the lowest real price I could find on a new relatively stripped 2020 was about $38k. So compare with new pricing and other used pricing and see what you can find.

Back in June I did a lot of research and I found that used prices on Wranglers went down very little year by year. I bought a used 2018 Wrangler with very low miles that had not been sold or titled, just used by the dealership. It looked like new and somewhat smelled like new. I bought it to drive so I figured that there was essentially no difference between it and a new car that would have cost me $6k more. I just got back from a 2200 mile trip in my JLU and it performed well.

The model in question raises some questions that have to be checked out. And also consider that listed prices are just numbers on a page. Until you get to the point of signing papers you don't know what the true price is. Some dealers would negotiate farther with you, some will consider that price a starting point and start adding on additional charges.

I would also want to check into the lift and tires/wheels to see if they were good and if they were what you wanted.
Sponsored