Sponsored

Would 35's on a JLUR void mopar maxcare lifetime warranty?

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
Good luck getting anything definitive in writing. I'm looking at a '19, and have asked the dealer for written interpretation of this exact issue. They politely declined.

The painful truth is FCA/Mopar/aftermarket warranties are up to interpretation. FCA pulled the lifetime powertrain warranty on my JKUR because I did most of the oil changes and about half of the diff services myself, which I meticulously documented. They stated, very clearly, that the work had to be done by a Chrysler dealer. This was at the 10 year inspection. None of that came up at 5 years. Pure BS, quite obviously, but I have no real recourse outside of filing a lawsuit against a multi-billion dollar corporation. You can imagine how far that would take me. If they decide it is in their best interest to not honor the warranty they will not, regardless of right or wrong. They are not an ethical company.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Good luck getting anything definitive in writing. I'm looking at a '19, and have asked the dealer for written interpretation of this exact issue. They politely declined.

The painful truth is FCA/Mopar/aftermarket warranties are up to interpretation. FCA pulled the lifetime powertrain warranty on my JKUR because I did most of the oil changes and about half of the diff services myself, which I meticulously documented. They stated, very clearly, that the work had to be done by a Chrysler dealer. This was at the 10 year inspection. None of that came up at 5 years. Pure BS, quite obviously, but I have no real recourse outside of filing a lawsuit against a multi-billion dollar corporation. You can imagine how far that would take me. If they decide it is in their best interest to not honor the warranty they will not, regardless of right or wrong. They are not an ethical company.
That's a very clear case that you should have at the very least threatened to go to court over.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JKā€™s , XJ
Let me ask you a better question:

What do you think you would break as a result of larger tires ?

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I guess I'm going to have to buy 35" tires and wheels and just keep the stocks in case a problem arises and switch out before I take them to the dealer.

Reactions: VNT

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You're at the mercy of the dealership. I've found that heavy volume dealerships and those that are managed and/or run by people who enjoy off-roading themselves, such as dealerships that modify stock Wranglers before putting them on the lot or those that actually take customers on wheeling trips a couple times a year, are much more amenable to servicing modified vehicles and honoring warranty work without giving you trouble.

The dealership in which I purchased my 2" Mopar Lift kit from would not budge on covering the whopping $11 cost for the replacement spring isolator pad that was clearly a known design issue. However, another dealership had no problem at all in covering one of my shocks that ate shit and started leaking. They just handed me a shock right there and told me to bring the busted one back when I was done swapping it out.

My experience obviously isn't a lifetime warranty-level situation, but dealerships that just sell Jeeps and don't have any involvement beyond that are typically more difficult to work with.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
If the dealer and/or warranty company will not put it in writing then the legal answer is NO They will not warranty it. However they still want your business and like many have pointed out many dealers are cool and know how to work the system. what corporate doesnā€™t know wonā€™t hurt them. Because if you call corporate headquarters theyā€™re going to say no.

isueyou

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can you quote the warranty lines where this would be up for debate?

Meaning where does it say donā€™t upgrade to bigger tires?

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
It all depends on what breaks. With 35s and a mopar 2ā€ lift (more like 3ā€) you should not have any issues with things breaking therefore no warranty claims to be denied.

However, the things I could see where warranty claims could come into issue on this setup would be transmission, drive shafts and linkages, steering, and axles. That would be where the larger tires could impose more strain on the components versus the standard 33ā€ tires.

And it also depends on the dealer. Some are more modification friendly than others.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Can you quote the warranty lines where this would be up for debate?

Meaning where does it say donā€™t upgrade to bigger tires?
The warranty states that modifications can void the vehicle. If I add an off road cowl that is Rigid and not Mopar, that could be considered a modification. Too much BS. I probably will cancel and take my chances.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The warranty states that modifications can void the vehicle. If I add an off road cowl that is Rigid and not Mopar, that could be considered a modification. Too much BS. I probably will cancel and take my chances. Wonder how many people have purchased and then cancelled based on all this Bs with the gray area?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a good relationship with your dealership? If so, ask them. I think you are overworrying about this. Nobody has stepped forward here and said they had a claim denied for any modification. I've yet to see that on the entire forum. 35's are not that much bigger than the 33's from the factory on the Rubi.

Remember, too, they can't deny warranty on something completely unrelated to the modification. In other words, an off road cowl can't void the warranty on your differentials. It has nothing to do with them.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a good relationship with your dealership? If so, ask them. I think you are overworrying about this. Nobody has stepped forward here and said they had a claim denied for any modification. I've yet to see that on the entire forum. 35's are not that much bigger than the 33's from the factory on the Rubi.

Remember, too, they can't deny warranty on something completely unrelated to the modification. In other words, an off road cowl can't void the warranty on your differentials. It has nothing to do with them.
Iā€™ll speak to the local dealers today. One of them I went into a few weeks ago and they said they donā€™t service vehicles not purchased there during very busy times, which rubbed me the wrong way.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ll speak to the local dealers today. One of them I went into a few weeks ago and they said they donā€™t service vehicles not purchased there during very busy times, which rubbed me the wrong way.
Yeah, that's BS. My dealership serviced my JK, which I had purchased from another dealership, for 11 years and earned the sale of the new one. That's how they need to think about it. If they do a great job, you will surely be back. Short sightedness is rampant in the world.

isueyou

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The void of the warranty happens when the modification caused the issue. What DanW said above. They cant void something unrelated. My guess is the burden is on the dealer to prove that your mod caused a malfunction.

The dealer I go to regularly sends jeeps out to be modded by a local mod shop. They put 35 inch tires on every jeep that shop touches.

jeepnjam

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
There is another thread on this as I had the same question. Jeep cares posted that oversized/undersized tires could present problems with the warranty. Could they say 35 is oversized? Probably since itā€™s not the standard size. I too bought the lifetime and am afraid of putting the larger tires. I feel kinda restricted and wondering if I should cancel the warranty.
You shouldn't cancel the warranty. What if your head unit or another piece of expensive equipment breaks outside of 60K, you'll wish you had that warranty - tire size wouldn't come into play if your Navigation or the other screen stopped working. If they didn't think 35s were okay, then they wouldn't have built the rubicon to fit them.
Sponsored