Sponsored

Worth waiting for 2019 MY?

TJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I plan to wait for a 2019.

Why not wait for a few extra months, at this point? I guess if there are no new features you want, and you're happy with the deal you can get now, go for it.

I am excited about Advanced Safety Group, so a 2019er makes sense for me. Who knows what other new features will be available.

As a leaser, I'm also hoping residuals climb back up for 2019s when they are brand new vs. where 2018s are now that they're more than half way through a model year.

I have two 2018 VINs I'm tracking as custom orders, but already talked with my dealer and he understands why a 2018 no longer makes sense for me, and is fine with waiting until 2019.
Could you expand more on this? It sounds like you have a strong grasp on leasing and I would appreciate any further thoughts on this.
Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Could you expand more on this? It sounds like you have a strong grasp on leasing and I would appreciate any further thoughts on this.
Well first off, I didnā€™t hold out! I lost my willpower when my 18 Rubi came in, lol.

BUT, the smart move is to wait. Leasing is all about residual. The residual is assigned by the leasing agency (bank) and determined how much your vehicle is worth when you turn it in.

As a vehicle gets ā€œolderā€ in its model year, the value drops.

For instance, a 2018 is worth less and less as 2019s get closer and closer (think of it this way- looking at two identical Jeeps on a lot, with identical price tags, but one is an 18 and one is a 19, which would you pick?). So. Residuals drop as vehicles get older.

A ā€œnewā€ 2018 Rubi has a lower residual assigned to it on a lease in August than it did in February, because the vehicle was so new in Feb, but in August weā€™re getting closer to 19s so it starts to fade off.

Hope that helps.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Just an FYI for anyone considering waiting, from people I've talked to, the 2019 Rubicon will have the optional Selec-Trac transfer case. This was the one option that almost had me pick the Sahara over the Rubicon due to living in Michigan and needing AWD more often.
really? where'd you get that information?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I just searched and can't find anything on it. It seems rare to see both lockers and limited slip on the same diff for some reason.
That would be good though. I bet a lot people would jump on that.

TJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Ok. Thank you. So, todays residual on a 18 Sahara is 63%. In April that would have been higher?

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Iā€™m not the kind that likes to wait. I pick up my Sting-Gray Unlimited Sport Saturday. As it is I donā€™t like the modern electronics now, and Iā€™m sure as years go on there will be more electronic crap put on. Too many batteries for this and that. Whatā€™s the point of having a nice off road rig if when it breaks down in the trail, which it will it, takes a technological genius from FCA to get it back on the road LOL.