First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
The fuel economy is better in the diesel. However, since the diesel option is $4,000, and diesel fuel cost more than gasoline, and it takes 9 quarts of oil, and you have to buy DEF, and a fuel filter replacement every other oil change as compared to gasoline engines, I am not sure there is any cost savings.

So why did I buy the diesel? 442 lb.-ft. of torque. Plus it sounds cool.
Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
The fuel economy is better in the diesel. However, since the diesel option is $4,000, and diesel fuel cost more than gasoline, and it takes 9 quarts of oil, and you have to buy DEF, and a fuel filter replacement every other oil change as compared to gasoline engines, I am not sure there is any cost savings.

So why did I buy the diesel? 442 lb.-ft. of torque. Plus it sounds cool.
factory map is underrated 🤘

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
I prefer my 3.0 over my 3.6 for driving on-road. The 3.0 turns my 39X13.5 tires effortlessly and i just did a 4 hour drive and averaged 24 mpg.

OP
OP
andrew8404

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Well I missed out. Someone reserved it before I could head over there. Had to be in person deposit. Getting my AC/Furnance replaced so that's been the priority. Hopefully, I can find a similar deal.

gpJL1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WULR
People dont care too much about power with Wrangler. Diesel will go out of style long before gas will as people jump on EV.
If looking for power and fuel economy cost saving - get hybrid Wrangler.

Hopefully folks will enjoy both EV/PHEV and Diesel Jeeps long into the future. The wisdom dictates that there is no one right answer. The "right answer" depends on the application. As a long time diesel enthusiast I have deepest appreciation for EV vehicles, especially when I am riding my bicycle. I love being next to EV in traffic, instead of some tuned 2500 pickup with delete kit :).

However, EVs have many issues in cold climate, battery chemistry doesn't do that well below freezing, there are certainly many ways to address that. Another disadvantage of EVs is additional energy storage, while diesel fuel can is easy to mount on a rack. If you are long term camping in the woods in winter, EV works great if someone else tows in a diesel generator to keep everything charged.

There are currently forces at play telling us we can't have a diesel vehicle, that there is ONLY one "right answer" EV!!! If one is a fan of EV, it will only benefit EV Jeeps long term if there is another power plant setting the bar high. EcoDiesel sets the bar pretty high. Many enjoy its driving experience, sure emissions equipment makes matters more complicated, but we all know that. Hopefully there will be strong aftermarket maintaining and improving emissions equipment.

Clean diesel technology has been around for over ten years, sadly industry didn't adapt well to it, partially thanks to VW diesel-gate, which is commonly misunderstood topic. VW understood the problem and had a way to address it, they just chose not to, by taking a shortcut. There was a strong info campaign to cut down CO2 emissions in mid 00s. Ironically, same research paper that proves VW cheated, also shows that clean diesels hit CO2 goals. Sadly, EV industry used diesel-gate scandal to launch another info campaign claiming that clean diesel tech is dirty.

Having done many long stretch road trips, it's always amusing to see Teslas and other EVs driving slow to conserve energy on highway, especially far away from populated areas, yes there is "range anxiety'. While a good diesel setup gives 500++ mile range.

Hopefully in 10 years people are still debating which jeep to get EV or diesel and community can enjoy both.
Sponsored