Sponsored

Worst windshields in history?!?

Have you ever had a vehicle with a weaker/more prone to cracking chipping windshield?

• Total voters

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL)
My 2020 is my second JL rubicon. Both have had chips cracks within the first weeks/months of ownership. My daily drive is 18 miles of highway. My 2020 has multiple tiny chips all over the windshield. I noticed a similar issue on my 18. Today I hear the faintest tick (roads were sanded due to ice recently) and now I have a chip the size of ballpoint pen head. I have only had my license plates for a week.

For how ā€œrugged and capableā€ these things are supposed to be seems like they might have forgotten some basic aspects of quality.
Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I have a 18 JL with over 31k on it now. Still on original windshield and have never had a problem. Do a mix of city and highway driving. Maybe your guyā€™s windshields were manufactured on a Monday or Friday:CWL:

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
Both my f150s chipped bad, none of the new jeep

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Do you sniff the asshole of the driver in front of you while driving? Cuz I don't tailgate and have never had an issue. I have a small chip on mine but its not cracked across the windshield.

Speedracer

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JL 2.0
Had a rock hit my windshield last week, made a pretty good ping, upon cringing.... I hated to even look....no chip!

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My 19 JLUR is my first and only jeep product ever. It rained a few days after I took delivery, and the way the rain was hitting the steeper windshield warned me that it would absorb more than it would deflect. I've never been the type to ride asses, but I now trail even further behind those in front of me. 8 months and 16k and so far not even a chip, knock on wood.

I don't think our windshields are any different in quality or thickness than other vehicles. It's the high angle that takes the full hit instead of glancing it off. Add to that, we sit higher off the ground. It's safe to assume that a stone would require more energy behind it in order for it to get more elevation, which would result in us taking harder hits that would fly over other vehicles roofs.

OP
OP

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you sniff the asshole of the driver in front of you while driving? Cuz I don't tailgate and have never had an issue. I have a small chip on mine but its not cracked across the windshield.
You strike me as the type of person that has multiple shirts with curse words printed on them....

OP
OP

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m sure the angle and curvature of the window have more to do with it than anything. Tires with big grooves designed to shed rocks and mud and time off-road doesnā€™t help. Just think itā€™s a weakness that could pretty easily be addressed. It would be a lot more useful than some of the other ā€œfeaturesā€ theyā€™ve tacked on to the JL.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
You strike me as the type of person that has multiple shirts with curse words printed on them....
No. my wife would not want to go out with me in public with those shirts so I have to lash out online. J/k. Seriously though you are right. its the flatness and curvature. Instead of rocks or whatever hitting a windshield at like a 45 or less degree angle and sliding off it hits more DIRECT on the wrangler causing a harder impact.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
My Rubicon chipped it's own windshield. I watched as the BFG ATs threw a perfect pea sized piece of gravel forward and watched it bounce off the road just high enough to clear the hood and let me drive into it.

Sponsored

NickM

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL SPort S
Add my 18 JLU to the list. Was driving home on I275 around Cincinnati this past Sunday, no trucks in any lane for miles so some car must have thrown a tiny stone to almost the exact center of the windshield, ended up with a nickel sized chip.

Took it to Safelite yesterday to resin the chip. The tech didn't charge for the service as he didn't feel like the resin worked as well as it should have. I can still see a small place on the windshield but not nearly as bad as the original chip. Now that it's so cold here I am going to wait to see if a crack propagates outward. If not I'll leave it as is but if it starts cracking a new windshield is in my future.

Do I go third party or OEM?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have a 18 JL with over 31k on it now. Still on original windshield and have never had a problem. Do a mix of city and highway driving. Maybe your guyā€™s windshields were manufactured on a Monday or Friday:CWL:
Maybe you just havenā€™t looked closely enough, I thought the same then I went back and washed my Jeep and looked closely I found ball-point chips and hair cracks on my shield as well. Not impressed.

OP
OP

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told all those ballpoint chips are just wear and tear and normal ā€œpittingā€ in the first layer of glass. People like safe lite wonā€™t do anything with them. They say they wonā€™t ever propagate. I had a ā€˜15 Tacoma before my 18 and 20 JLUR, and it didnā€™t have any of that stuff.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I get the dumbass award - bumped the wiper arm while changing blades, spring tension popped the arm down and....well shit! Now that little star has run across half the windshield. :surprised::swear::angry:
Sponsored