Sponsored

Worried about picking up new lease, not sure what to do.

TCP914

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Hey all, hoping you can help me out. Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it is related to JL issues so figured I’d give it a shot. I was able to secure a really great lease deal for a 2018 Moab in my area, SoCal, but am worried about taking delivery tomorrow. I drove the care for a short while and noticed a really big dead spot in the steering and the car drifted hard to the right at lower speeds, didn’t get above 50MPH. I really want the car, but don’t want to take delivery of something that is apparently defective.

Is there anything I can do before hand to ensure that car is in good shape? I’m thinking of asking the dealership to run all of the safety bulletins and steering adjustments prior to me taking ownership. Has anyone had experience with this type of ask before?
Sponsored

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
Well if you're planning on asking to do all the updates and tsbs what is their to worry about ? Just ask them to fix the recalls and tsbs and whatever

OP
OP

TCP914

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Well if you're planning on asking to do all the updates and tsbs what is their to worry about ? Just ask them to fix the recalls and tsbs and whatever
Wil they do that prior to me taking the paperwork? I’m worried about signing everything and then it become my problem vs. having them fix it first. Trying to understand if anyone has tried that and if it has worked.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just tell them that you decided not to sign the deal until they fix the steering issue. Let them fix it, take a long test drive and make the deal if you think it's what you expected. If they tell you that there's nothing wrong with the steering, either find another dealer or take more time to decide if a new Wrangler is the right vehicle for you. It also wouldn't hurt to drive another '18 JL or a new '19 to see if you notice any difference.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Whatever you do, dont sign anything on a Jeep with bad steering. My Jeep has been in the shop for 4 1/2 weeks now waiting for them to fix it (wandering steering issue)

OP
OP

TCP914

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Bit of an update - my fears were a bit for naught. Spoke with the dealer about it and it turns out it was the pressure being off in the tires - it was an '18 on the lot and had been sitting. When we went to pick it up, my wife and I took the car out for 30min doing a mix of highway and street before sining and it seemed everything was good. It was a far cry from my BMW experience but that is to be expected.

The dealer was aware of some of the steering issues and told me that part of his pick-up prep was checking tire pressure and torque on steering component. So for right now, it looks like we're all good, let's hope it stays this way.
Sponsored