Sponsored

Working on a removable custom box for under center of rear seat...maybe...

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
I built boxes that fit in to either side of the trunk of my last car, a 2011 Camaro. They tucked into either side and the subs faced in and it worked pretty great. Trying to sneak a low cubic foot shallow mount sub in this thing. I want it hidden and easily removable if I need to put the seats down. Mocking up out of cardboard. This is ALMOST there.

This Infinity has pretty great reviews, says it should have .5 cubic feet. If I can make this 4.5" deep (need to see how my clearance would it, it technically fits ok) and use 1/2" MDF, then I'm getting .32 here. First test, I might be able to squeeze a little more out of it. I'll have my 5 channel amp under the front passenger powering my front speakers, then run back a quick connect cable to this box so I can hopefully just pop it right out of there any time I need to.

Jeep Wrangler JL Working on a removable custom box for under center of rear seat...maybe... IMG_20200614_183742
Jeep Wrangler JL Working on a removable custom box for under center of rear seat...maybe... IMG_20200614_183839
Sponsored

OP
OP
scuba264

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
Looks like a great start. I will be watching your progress.
What are your thoughts on the shallow mount Kicker 10" L7?
I am currently running this Kicker L7 box connected to a JL Audio VX1000/5i and it sounds great.
Those solobarics SLAM. Honestly I considered it but they're always way more expensive. I thought this other Infinity would work great and over half the price. But that thing would be great, and I notice now it technically is ok with even less space than the Infinity so arguably even a better option.

Edit: I often gamble on open box and refurb and generally have had great savings and been all good. I actually found that Infinity on Ebay for super cheap. Its on the way, so I'm pretty committed ha. Its through Sonicelectronix who are pretty big so I trust it.

Last edited:

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Love seeing the custom stuff, but .32 is not enough internal volume. If the manufacturer is suggesting .5, then you need to be a little over that to compensate for the volume your speaker will take up when you mount it. I would shoot for no less than .52

OP
OP
scuba264

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
Love seeing the custom stuff, but .32 is not enough internal volume. If the manufacturer is suggesting .5, then you need to be a little over that to compensate for the volume your speaker will take up when you mount it. I would shoot for no less than .52
I'm not too worried about it, the volume measures I'm pretty sure are for the internal size of the enclosure you're putting it in, they don't intend for you to do the math to figure out how much space their speaker takes up, thats factored in. And if I can't squeeze enough room to hit .5 I'm going to stuff some Polyfil in. I've seen plenty of videos where people evaluate the frequency response on smaller boxes with Polyfil and it makes a pretty huge difference. Like check this one out, it does a pretty great job of actually measuring the difference on a box using half the size:

And I recognize it won't be IDEAL. Sometimes with audio its a balancing act of aesthetics and where you can place stuff vs what sound you'll get. I've battled both in cars and home audio over the years and just recognize that. Chasing a really hidden, easy to remove option just to fill out the low end some and I expect it to do that just fine. But maybe you're right and I'll find out its terrible lol. Making the box is literally going to be almost 0 cost, realized I have some MDF just laying around so low risk on it all.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
If you are at .32, even with polyfill your response will be similar to .38 cu ft so still very undersized. Thats a good size for an 8” and believe it or not, you will get more output and extension from an 8 in a properly sized box than a 10 in an undersized box. To each their own, I’ll leave you to it.
Sponsored