Sponsored

Working a trade into the deal...what to expect?

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ‘07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t traded in a car in years. The dealer knows I may be wanting to trade in my 2014 Outback on a factory ordered Wrangler. One we’ve agreed on price for the Wrangler, how do I work the trade into the equation? Can I expect to get the figures I’m seeing on KBB, NADA, and Edmunds for my vehicle, or can expect to get a lowball offer on the trade? It seems like this should be easy with all the resources out there with values but nothing ever is. Thanks for your help. Jeff
Sponsored

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Expect the lower end of the KBB trade in value. Negotiate the trade price completely independent of the negotiation for the Jeep

AAMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 WJ (gone), 97' LX450, '97 Land Cruiser, '17 MB-AMG C63s Cabrio, ‘20 JLUR on order
Occupation
I fix people
I haven’t traded in a car in years. The dealer knows I may be wanting to trade in my 2014 Outback on a factory ordered Wrangler. One we’ve agreed on price for the Wrangler, how do I work the trade into the equation? Can I expect to get the figures I’m seeing on KBB, NADA, and Edmunds for my vehicle, or can expect to get a lowball offer on the trade? It seems like this should be easy with all the resources out there with values but nothing ever is. Thanks for your help. Jeff
One consideration is to get valuations on your trade in from other dealers. Pretty much any dealer will provide that service for you. It'll give you an idea of where you should be when negotiating trade in on the car. No dealer will pay "top" dollar for the trade. To offer top dollar for the trade, they usually take off less on the MSRP; it just depends on their motivations (move another unit or make certain amount X on a sale). Another consideration is to try and sell the vehicle outright, but that takes a little more effort.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
All those are good advise.

Also, depending where you are, you may consider selling the Outback privately. It would sell in 2 days out here in the PNW.

Of course, it makes sense to trade it if (a) you get a sales tax allowance for the trade in your State, and/or (b) you have a loan and don’t hold the title.

But if you find a motivated buyer, s/he will be more than willing to deal with (b).

Good luck!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Shop your Outback to Carmax, AutoNation, Carvana, other Subaru dealers for a true wholesale number in your area. Then take in to consideration any sales tax credit to calculate your true value. To be honest it's a not too much work selling yourself. Outbacks are very popular. I bet it will sell fairly quickly.

Sponsored

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
I traded in a 2014 Honda Accord. I got $500 above what Carmax offered me.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
Sell yourself. Even with tax savings of trading in I made out better selling my wife’s explorer privately. Facebook marketplace is great, paid $5 for craigslist and didn’t hardly get any interest on there.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
Everybody here has given good advice, I would probably just go in with your number in mind and expect them to offer you the lower end of wholesale/trade in value. They may go up from there depending on what the used car market is doing in there area.
Another source for you to see what this dealer might list your car for would be to check cargurus. you can expect the dealer to have at least $2,000 worth of mark up from the prices you see on cargurus. This number use to be bigger but sights like cargurus have set there site up as to where dealers have to price there inventory really cheap to show up on the first or even second page.
If you choose to sell it yourself make sure you are ready to possibly sit on the car for a while, not that you will but it is possible.
Also you will have to be available to meet with people to show the vehicle usually at there convenience and not usually yours
If there is the sales tax break in your state you need to definitely figure this into the equation.

Hope this helps :) :)

OP
OP
Golfshrink

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ‘07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
Everybody here has given good advice, I would probably just go in with your number in mind and expect them to offer you the lower end of wholesale/trade in value. They may go up from there depending on what the used car market is doing in there area.
Another source for you to see what this dealer might list your car for would be to check cargurus. you can expect the dealer to have at least $2,000 worth of mark up from the prices you see on cargurus. This number use to be bigger but sights like cargurus have set there site up as to where dealers have to price there inventory really cheap to show up on the first or even second page.
If you choose to sell it yourself make sure you are ready to possibly sit on the car for a while, not that you will but it is possible.
Also you will have to be available to meet with people to show the vehicle usually at there convenience and not usually yours
If there is the sales tax break in your state you need to definitely figure this into the equation.

Hope this helps :) :)
Thanks for all the replies. I have an appointment to have the dealer look at my car Saturday and give an appraisal on a my trade. We’re basically settled on price for the Jeep order so the last hitch would be the trade in value being a lowball so I’m prepared to walk if it is, or deal with selling myself if I need to. It’s been kinda a battle to this point so I’m expecting the worst on the trade in. I don’t have a car max, etc, near me so I’ve got my numbers from KBB, NADA and Edmunds as reference points. There’s nearly $3000 difference between the 3 for what I would consider the same condition rating. I was surprised by this. Is one considered the authoritative source among dealers? I thought it used to be NADA but it was the high number so I cant imagine that’ll get used.
Sponsored