Sponsored

Wonder why Jeep doesn’t make a “Utility” model?

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I believe that's where Mahindra was going with their new US Roxor factory. It wouldn't surprise me is they build their very plain pickup in their US factory too. Jeep didn't sue them because it looked too much like a Jeep, they sued them to ward off potential competition.

That having been said, I'd like to see Jeep buy their operation and make the slight modifications necessary to make the Roxor a modern CJ. Sell street legal ones for around $25k, and then not be concerned about loosing Wrangler customers as they continue to move it's price in the stratosphere.
Well even a non-street legal one costs more than what you'd like to see Jeep sell them for... For this money, it makes a base Jeep look like a steal!! Imagine what it would cost to make this sad looking thing street legal. I'd say the Roxor as it sits is way overpriced...

Jeep Wrangler JL Wonder why Jeep doesn’t make a “Utility” model? 1680138818625
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well even a non-street legal one costs more than what you'd like to see Jeep sell them for... For this money, it makes a base Jeep look like a steal!! Imagine what it would cost to make this sad looking thing street legal. I'd say the Roxor as it sits is way overpriced...
Enter the 2023 Suzuki Jimny....street legal, capable, and popular in many countries, but not widely available or supported here in CONUS. Depending on pricing, the Jimny could have a much better probability of attracting former Jeep owners looking for something a little more compact and simple.

https://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/lineup/jimny/index.html

As my JL continues to manifest more and more "Jeep things" over the years, there's no doubt I'll be following Jimny's progress here in the US. I've been a loyal Jeep customer for decades, but when quality/dependability decline and price increases, it's not a tough decision to look elsewhere.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder why Stellantis doesn't build a utility Jeep any more?

Because they are not interested in those buyers any more.

As much as Stellantis loves to flash images on the Internet of rugged Jeeps doing rugged and adventurous things, the sad reality is that they want the affluent, latté-sipping buyers who are willing to spend $60,000+ on a Jeep that will never see a dirt road.

Everything in today’s Jeep experience is stacked against a simple, rugged utility vehicle: from the insanely expensive prices, to dealers that stock vehicles loaded with all sorts of high-margin options, to service managers who refuse warranty work on Jeeps with a 2-inch lift and 34-inch tires, to Stellantis increasingly deeming the slightest sign of off-roading use as “extreme wear and tear.”

Wrangler remains the public relations face of Jeep. But Grand Cherokee really is where the brand internally sees itself, and where the values of today’s Jeep brand are most clearly embodied.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wonder why Jeep doesn’t make a “Utility” model? 87F2D3F8-5A85-4550-A481-ED24B5860118

Grand Cherokee is a nice car. But more and more it is becoming like everything else on the market.

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
This is why the Chrysler Voyager exists lol. It's a Pacifica with a cheaper interior and costs about $10k less than a Pacifica too.

I dunno why a car company would play ball with the rental car companies. Rental cars are ambassadors to brands. When someone rents a Jeep and hops in and gets the rental-spec with plain black plastic EVERYWHERE they'll think that every Jeep - including the $80k ones - is the same cheap crap.

For 2006-2010 Dodge made a rental-spec charger that came with a 2.7L V6 instead of the 3.5L V6 - it did 0-60 in about 12 seconds lol. They also sold a 300 that way. Those cars were INCREDIBLY basic inside lol. Like, on par with a sport Wrangler. Imagine someone renting a Chrysler 300 and finding that lmao. It was bad.

Back to the OP's question: It's not profitable and it can hurt the brand image. For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/NissanDrivers/
think mopar does a great job of making models that span a huge price spectrum. Wrangler and challengers both come to mind. You can get the base model, or you can go nuts and spec it up to 100k

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
How is that any different than a motorcycle or better yet my friend had a Piaggio scooter that goes well in excess of 85 MPH. Not sure why you cant take one of those little ROXORs on the road in the US. I think it would fair much better than a Piaggio MP3.
A lot of motorcycles go 120+ and they cruise on the highway easily. The UTVs I've seen on the highway look sketchy and one abrupt move away from disaster.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

Jeep Wrangler JL Wonder why Jeep doesn’t make a “Utility” model? 87F2D3F8-5A85-4550-A481-ED24B5860118
Wow, they've gone way up in the last few years, no doubt partially due to the lawsuit and related costs of retooling. That forced redesign is fugly!

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Line guy here. The answer to this question is really simple. Only a very VERY slim minority wants builds like these.

I don't either. I understand, trust me, I do. But the majority just don't want a base model Jeep anymore. I had a rental about as base model as possible currently, during a recent trip. There is no way I'd have bought it. I wanted my loaded Rubicon. I even wish I had driven it the whole way.

Why build a vehicle that only 1% of the population actually wants and orders?

Makes no sense.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Yep. As others on the thread point out, the need for a really frugal bare-bones off-road utility vehicle is now met in the UTV segment, e.g. Mahindra.

Back in the day, your UTV (aka Willys CJ) simply got licensed for street.

Now, street vs. farm/ranch/park utility vehicles are their own specialized segment, and they needn't be licensed for street because they live where they work; or they get towed there on a trailer.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I drove and loved a Roxor. The SOLE reason there is not a first gen Roxor in my driveway right now is that it’s not street legal (and yes, I know some folks have managed to get them licensed, but it’s a hassle and of questionable legality. Without it being street legal it doesn’t accomplish anything my old Yamaha Rhino already does.

I know Jeep wouldn’t sell many of what I’ve described, mainly because most buyers today are into the look, not the practicality. I’ve got an S sitting in the driveway with limited slip, bumpers winch, etc as we speak, and the floor mats catch the mud and debris. As somebody said, the JL’s are very capable vehicles and they build them for the masses. A rig like I described would only sell a few thousand a yr (kind of like Jeeps always did back when🙄) I’m just disappointed that it is impossible to even order a true base set up. Oh well..,
I don't even know that they'd get a few thousand a year. Triple digits is probably closer.

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
The 2 door base sport is as bare bones as you can get these days. 30k range, Pretty close to what you ask if you add the rear LSD. A stock "willys sport" will add the Rubicon shocks and larger brakes. If you also want front/rear lockers, then you are asking too much. Jeep has never had a base model with lockers that I am aware of. Especially an air locker, because then you also need to add an onboard air compressor. The base sport JL will already be more capable than any previous generation at any trim, other than the JK Rubicon.

If your request is "I want a Rubicon but I want to pay 30k for it" sorry, not gonna happen.

If you want to keep it cheap and simple. Get a base sport with LSD or willys sport. Then get yourself some Rubicon takeoff wheels+tires for $1,200 and a TORQ front locker for $400. The OEM bumpers can take a bit of damage, once they're ruined, throw in aftermarket bumpers.
If I recall you could get a first gen base JK with lockers. 2wd as well.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I’d love to see a Factory Jeep built for just Jeep stuff. Something that gets back to the roots of Jeep. I’m talking a basic model, vinyl seats/floor with washout plugs, base radio, soft top/doors

I would have thought that the Sport model ticks all those boxes.
On the forums here, most seem to have Rubicons. Myself I have a Sport S.

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I believe that's where Mahindra was going with their new US Roxor factory. It wouldn't surprise me is they build their very plain pickup in their US factory too. Jeep didn't sue them because it looked too much like a Jeep, they sued them to ward off potential competition.

That having been said, I'd like to see Jeep buy their operation and make the slight modifications necessary to make the Roxor a modern CJ. Sell street legal ones for around $25k, and then not be concerned about loosing Wrangler customers as they continue to move it's price in the stratosphere.
100% agree. It would give Mahindra a network of established dealer for their units and give Jeep viable alternatives to the. $$$ rigs they’re cranking out now-win win

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
I’d love to see a Factory Jeep built for just Jeep stuff. Something that gets back to the roots of Jeep. I’m talking a basic model, vinyl seats/floor with washout plugs, base radio, soft top/doors (or half doors stick shift, limited slip rear and something like an ARB locker up front, steel bumpers with a factory winch up front and a integral receiver hitch in the rear, steel wheels with decent off road capable tires. Limit options to things like a hardtop (sans “Freedom panels), solid doors, , automatic trans, rear seat, and A/C. Your choice of flat army green or flat desert sand colors (nice thick flat paint that doesn’t scratch easily, doesn’t look too bad when it does, and is easily sprayed over for at home repair😏. No fluff, no superfluous electronics or luxury stuff (already HAVE those). Just a basic “working” Jeep. A
“modern” CJ 2 if you will. Bring it to market in the $30k range, with a full opted model coming in around $36 or so. Sportsmen, folks who use a Jeep for work, and serious off road folks would be the target audience.

‘Course knowing Jeep, they’d call it a “Heritage” edition, slap on some purty badges and want $60k for it🙄. After all, these are the some folks who wanted $2700 for the optional vinyl trim😳. Still this would be a Jeep I’d buy in a heartbeat if it was available at anywhere close to a decent price. I Know the market would be limited-that’s ok. It’d cost Jeep VERY little to put this puppy on the market and it would serve a certain group very well.
Oh yeah this would be so cool totally agree. No AC, maybe even no hard doors, just soft. Heck, make the top an option even like the CJ. Steel wheels, etc.

The only problem is 1) Very few people will buy it and 2) Jeep will make little to no profit on this.

However the engineering is already there, just make a stripped down (more) model!

I was just thinking this yesterday wish more automakers would make dumbed down, more analog models, less tech, less nannies.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I disagree. The original Roxor design looked like a Jeep. If you conducted a survey and showed a photo of a Roxor to the public and asked people to guess who manufactured the Roxor, everyone (who had any knowledge of vehicles) would have said Jeep. That's classic trade dress infringement and Mahindra deserved to get slapped down hard.

Maybe Jeep also was worried about competition, but Mahindra was definitely in the wrong there.
Sponsored