First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
There is nothing wrong with the tech test driving your Jeep, especially for a transfer case complaint. Good for the tech. However, the dealer should have cleaned up your Jeep prior to returning it to you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
There is nothing wrong with the tech test driving your Jeep, especially for a transfer case complaint. Good for the tech. However, the dealer should have cleaned up your Jeep prior to returning it to you.
I agree, you’ve gotta test it. I question if you’ve gotta get all 4 wheels throwing mud for a proper test?? But then to return it to me dirty? Unacceptable.

This is one reason I dread taking it to the dealer. There’s always some issue. It can never just be easy.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I agree, you’ve gotta test it. I question if you’ve gotta get all 4 wheels throwing mud for a proper test?? But then to return it to me dirty? Unacceptable.

This is one reason I dread taking it to the dealer. There’s always some issue. It can never just be easy.
If you have the a part time transfer case I would rather the tech test it on a soft surface than a hard high traction surface.

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
I've had my JLUR for over a year now and wheel it regularly, its been in and out of 4hi/4lo many times, it has randomly popped out of 4hi/lo many times. I've brought it to the dealer twice and they can't replicate the problem. Now I'm just in the habit of holding the shifter while in 4hi/lo.

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had my JLUR for over a year now and wheel it regularly, its been in and out of 4hi/4lo many times, it has randomly popped out of 4hi/lo many times. I've brought it to the dealer twice and they can't replicate the problem. Now I'm just in the habit of holding the shifter while in 4hi/lo.
My dealer fixed the problem. They made an adjustment to the shifter linkage.
If you don’t mind someone trashing your Jeep, take it there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My jeep kept popping out of 4low and I took it to the dealer, they said they adjusted something, maybe the linkage? I don't remember but I think it's fine now.

Skibikerun

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had this same issue, exactly as you described. It took 3 trips to the dealer, but it seems to be good now. First time, they adjusted the linkage. 2nd time, replaced shifter, adjusted linkage. 3rd time, the charm, another adjustment.

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a diy guy, thank you very much for the link.
No worries. I’m a DIY guy too, but it was 20 degrees outside and I didn’t have a warm place to work on it. Snowstorm was coming and I didn’t want to wait.
In retrospect, I should have taken my chances in the snow storm in 2wd and waited til spring to do it myself.
The dealership got it working better, but it’s not perfect. When it’s in 4wd, it’s barely locked in. If you move the shifter to the right you can feel it pop in to where it wants to be. In the spring I’m going to take it apart myself and redo it right.

Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
So I took my sheep to the dealership to get the transfer case linkage fixed. I dropped off my clean Jeep and when I pick it up it looks like this.
ED8FEE06-42AC-4D30-BF4D-F91A79324710.jpeg

Apparently the service tech thought it would be fun to take my Jeep through the mud then not clean it up. Can you believe this??? WTF?!??
You have got to be frickin kidding me???? That is how they returned to you your Jeep?? I would be livid!! Ask the tech if this is how he treats his own $50K Jeep Rubicon that is if he even owns one. Grab the dealer owner by the back of his neck and drag him out to your Jeep and insist he wash and wax it himself otherwise you are calling corporate headquarters.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My dealer fixed the problem. They made an adjustment to the shifter linkage.
If you don’t mind someone trashing your Jeep, take it there.
That’s not mud, and your Jeep isn’t “trashed”. That’s barely even dirt road level of dirt. You don’t seem like a very reasonable person.

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s not mud, and your Jeep isn’t “trashed”. That’s barely even dirt road level of dirt. You don’t seem like a very reasonable person.
Wow! How absurd of me to expect a dealership to wash the dirt off my Jeep before they give it back to me. They'd probably have to find a hose... maybe a bucket. Search the corners of the earth for a sponge and some soap.
You're probably right, I was asking them to move mountains. Clearly my expectations are set way too high, or yours are way too low.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wow! How absurd of me to expect a dealership to wash the dirt off my Jeep before they give it back to me. They'd probably have to find a hose... maybe a bucket. Search the corners of the earth for a sponge and some soap.
You're probably right, I was asking them to move mountains. Clearly my expectations are set way too high, or yours are way too low.
The last thing you want is them to be scrubbing at your paint.

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last thing you want is them to be scrubbing at your paint.
Yeah, well that's something I didn't think about. If the service manager was that inept I can't imagine the quality of person they'd put in charge of washing cars. Maybe I really was better off doing it myself.
Sponsored