Won’t stay in 4wd

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
I got to use 4wd for the first time today in my 2020 JL Rubicon. Only have 600 miles on the odometer so it’s pretty fresh.
When it’s in 4 high, it’ll periodically pop out and back to 2wd
4 low is even worse. You have to hold the shifter knob to keep it in 4 low, otherwise it pops into neutral.
Is there a linkage that can be adjusted to fine tune this? Is this something I can trust a dealership with? Anybody else experience this on a new Jeep.
Sponsored

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
I got to use 4wd for the first time today in my 2020 JL Rubicon. Only have 600 miles on the odometer so it’s pretty fresh.
4 low is even worse. You have to hold the shifter knob to keep it in 4 low, otherwise it pops into neutral.
Is there a linkage that can be adjusted to fine tune this? Is this something I can trust a dealership with? Anybody else experience this on a new Jeep.
I’m just wondering if you haven’t actually shifted all the way in.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Are you shifting in motion or from a stand still? My old XJ preferred from a standstill, but my 20 Rubicon needs me to be rolling a bit. I went to 4L for the first time this weekend. Be careful going to 4L. I have a bad habit of thinking I’m doing 2-3 when I’m really doing 12. In the future I’m stopping before planning my shift to 4L.

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you shifting in motion or from a stand still? My old XJ preferred from a standstill, but my 20 Rubicon needs me to be rolling a bit. I went to 4L for the first time this weekend. Be careful going to 4L. I have a bad habit of thinking I’m doing 2-3 when I’m really doing 12. In the future I’m stopping before planning my shift to 4L.
Shifting to 4wd high, I’m coasting in a straight line, off the gas pedal. I give it a straight steady pull. It engages just fine, a few blinks of 4wd on the dash and it’s in. What’s not right is it doesn’t ever fully engage. Feels like it goes about halfway in and stops. Almost like having a light switch halfway on.
4 low is even worse. It won’t stay engaged unless I hold my hand on the lever. And even then it still wants to pop into neutral.

Sponsored

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a dealer visit is the way to go. [sigh]

21Rubi

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 3.6 Auto, 315's, 2.5 MC Lift
Occupation
Retired
My transfer case would pop out of 4LO and go into neutral. Really was hard to shift also. I took it out to a open gravel/dirt area a couple days and spent an hour or more just shifting in and out of 4LO, giving it time to see if it would stay in gear. I have 2200 miles on it now and it has shifted easier and not popped out. I thought at first it was a linkage issue, but now it is working so maybe it just needed to be worn in. Hope this helps

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My transfer case would pop out of 4LO and go into neutral. Really was hard to shift also. I took it out to a open gravel/dirt area a couple days and spent an hour or more just shifting in and out of 4LO, giving it time to see if it would stay in gear. I have 2200 miles on it now and it has shifted easier and not popped out. I thought at first it was a linkage issue, but now it is working so maybe it just needed to be worn in. Hope this helps
That does help. I’ll try that first and see if it works itself out. I’d rather not go to the dealership if I don’t have to. Thanks!!

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Is this still present, danm? If so, we also recommend visiting the dealer. If you need any assistance while there, please reach out.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this still present, danm? If so, we also recommend visiting the dealer. If you need any assistance while there, please reach out.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Kate, Thank you! That’s very kind. I’ll PM you if I have any trouble.

Deleted member 59498

Mine did this for a while, was annoying but has worked in a bit now and no longer pops back to 2H. Started to go to dealer but another jeep owner recommended I wait until I shift back and forth with winter coming (we do a lot of 2h 4h here in winter). That was in October and it has broken in now it seems and works fine. Was weird but has worked fine all winter now. Just my experience. Was really stiff when I first purchased

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Kate, Thank you! That’s very kind. I’ll PM you if I have any trouble.
Sounds good, danm! You know where to find us.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
danm

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I took my sheep to the dealership to get the transfer case linkage fixed. I dropped off my clean Jeep and when I pick it up it looks like this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Won’t stay in 4wd ED8FEE06-42AC-4D30-BF4D-F91A79324710

Apparently the service tech thought it would be fun to take my Jeep through the mud then not clean it up. Can you believe this??? WTF?!??
Sponsored