Wobbly drive?

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Wasn’t sure if this was the right category to post so sorry in advance! I’ve had my Sahara for almost 2 weeks now and I can’t get over the “wobbly” feel to it. I test drove a lifted Sport and the car started swerving really hard and couldn’t get it under control and it freaked me out. So i went with the Sahara and it drove much better but when I’m on the highway or if the road has bumps back to back, I feel like the car is going to swerve hard like the Sport. Not sure if that’s all in my head and just a little ptsd from the Sport or if I’m just not use to the drive. Shine some light on me please. Don’t wanna regret getting this car lol
Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Lol. It’s not a car. It’s a Jeep. And it drives like a Jeep. I went from a 450 ftlbs turbo BMW coupe to a lifted JKU years ago and had zero issues. It’s a totally different driving pleasure and you have to know that.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
Wasn’t sure if this was the right category to post so sorry in advance! I’ve had my Sahara for almost 2 weeks now and I can’t get over the “wobbly” feel to it. I test drove a lifted Sport and the car started swerving really hard and couldn’t get it under control and it freaked me out. So i went with the Sahara and it drove much better but when I’m on the highway or if the road has bumps back to back, I feel like the car is going to swerve hard like the Sport. Not sure if that’s all in my head and just a little ptsd from the Sport or if I’m just not use to the drive. Shine some light on me please. Don’t wanna regret getting this car lol
Check your tire pressure. Chances are they are way too high. 36 psi seems to work the best.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
It will feel more floaty then a car for sure, but shouldn't feel dangerous floaty.

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It will feel more floaty then a car for sure, but shouldn't feel dangerous floaty.
I guess that’s a better word to describe it for the Sahara. The sport felt unstable.

Sponsored

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
So I did check my tires this morning before driving. It was 38. My car sits outside while I’m at work and it was at 40-41 yesterday when I got off from work. Would that make a big difference?
Just cold tires vs warmer tires likely for the difference, maybe drop a couple PSI cold and see if it helps.

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Not an inexperienced driver but this is my first Jeep. I came from an Audi so everyone keeps telling me it’s going to drive different. Just didn’t expect it to be *that* diffferent.

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Check your tire pressure. Chances are they are way too high. 36 psi seems to work the best.
So I did check my tires this morning before driving. It was 38. My car sits outside while I’m at work and it was at 40-41 yesterday when I got off from work. Would that make a big difference

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I've owned my fair share of Jeeps over the years from a CJ5 to my current JLU. My JKU and the JLU are close but I have never thought the Wrangler was very good as a daily driver.

They are noisy, ride and steer like a truck, get blown around on windy days and so on. Folks that buy one and expect car like ride quality and experience are generally going to be disappointed.

Chances are your Jeep is fine, but if you think it is unsafe then by all means, get it checked.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
When my JL was a few months old I had a few instances on the freeway going about 65 mph where my 2 door Willys would do a shimmy for a couple seconds where I could not control it even on non windy days. I would dread it happening again. I had my mud tires at the suggested 37 psi according to the door jam. It was recommended on this forum to lower my psi to 32. Once I did that and several months later no more problems.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
When my JL was a few months old I had a few instances on the freeway going about 65 mph where my 2 door Willys would do a shimmy for a couple seconds where I could not control it even on non windy days. I would dread it happening again. I had my mud tires at the suggested 37 psi according to the door jam. It was recommended on this forum to lower my psi to 32. Once I did that and several months later no more problems.
I plan to do this. I’ve noticed in mornings where the psi is at 37 and it’s already so much better If a drive compared to 40 by the end of the day.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLU Sport and it drives rock solid. So this is not a JLU model (Sport / Sahara / rubicon) issue. If it's not just your perception, there could be a problem with your particular vehicle.

I went from driving an audi quattro to the JLU. So, there is a vast difference in engineering and driving experience between these vehicles.

All these suggestions in this thread are good things to try first. In my case, an updated track bar TSB, power steering recalibration TSB and (self installed) Mopar lift LCA's for added caster completely resolved my steering issues.

There are a few known factory component and factory assembly issues that could cause the "wobbly" steering you're experiencing. These don't occur in every JL off the assembly line, but they do occur in some.

Many, many threads on this forum covering all these scenarios.

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have a JLU Sport and it drives rock solid. So this is not a JLU model (Sport / Sahara / rubicon) issue. If it's not just your perception, there could be a problem with your particular vehicle.

I went from driving an audi quattro to the JLU. So, there is a vast difference in engineering and driving experience between these vehicles.

All these suggestions in this thread are good things to try first. In my case, an updated track bar TSB, power steering recalibration TSB and (self installed) Mopar lift LCA's for added caster completely resolved my steering issues.

There are a few known factory component and factory assembly issues that could cause the "wobbly" steering you're experiencing. These don't occur in every JL off the assembly line, but they do occur in some.

Many, many threads on this forum covering all these scenarios.
I too just came from an Audi and I knew the drive would be different.
Just an update. Lowered the psi to 34. No more *questionable* wobbles and handling feels so more stable
Sponsored