Sponsored

Wobble Without A Cause

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I have encountered the harmonic oscillation (wobble) a couple times. I have a Sport S JL ‘18, no structure mods, 3.6L A/trans. While it is alarming at any speed, to my knowledge, no one has ever died from it. As long as one does not surrender control, then the vehicle can be slowed to a safe place. My experience is that once the vehicle is stopped, the wobble disappears. It has never been something I can willfully re-create with similar driving factors.

My question concerns the cause. I have read more than I care to about the possible modifications to a Jeep in an effort to eliminate/prevent any wobble. But, does every wobble have a structural source capable of repair or can the occasional wobble simply be the nature of a straight front axle on an, otherwise, structurally sound vehicle?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
There's always a cause. Being yours is a 2018, odds are something is worn enough it is due to be replaced. It's start by laying under the jeep and watching for any movement when someone steers back and forth. The most common issue is track bar bushings, but a 2018 has likely still got the crappy aluminum steering box. There was a tsb, but you're likely out of warranty. The ball joints have plastic liners from the factory, so even those usually need replaced by 50-60k miles on an unmodified Jeep. The steering stabilizer has had like 6 different iterations in the life of your jeep. Lots of things to check, and depending on mileage likely replace a bunch of them.

OldBackpacker

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL - Sport
Occupation
Retired
I think I have your answer. My STOCK 2018 JL 2-dr Sport had the Death Wobble the first year twice. Then nothing until this week. Hwy speed 7X within 5 miles. Big concern. Took to dealer and they diagnosed the problem and solution. The front dampers were damaged. This caused the track bar to become faulty and need repair. Good news: FCA extended the warranty on the dampers (paid for at dealer). BAD news: Track bar at my expense. I contacted FCA and registered a formal complaint today (800 334 9200 Customer Service). Very friendly and helpful. Awaiting reply in 1-2 days. Local dealer sales guy (15-yr friend) advised that 90%of DW comes from lifted with improper alterations. 10% from stock daily drivers. This is my wife's "mall crawler".

The manufacturer extended the warranty on the dampers but NOT the track bar which was damaged due to their defective part.

Be sure to get a CASE NUMBER when you deal with FCA. Good luck.. hope its helpful.

OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Thanks for the sharing the experience. I will take to dealer and see what happens.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Just because it’s not lifted it does not mean parts do not fail. I would check all your suspension / steering ends and ball joints.
Sponsored