Wobble issue- Dealer replaced Steering Stabilizer

Carla

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I had the wobble and on 3rd attempt my dealership replaced SS with a Fox aftermarket SS at no charge. Have driven it now for about 10k miles and no problem. (Dealership: Indianapolis-Tom O’Brien Jeep)
Sponsored

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Much like the post above, I had 3 of the factory SS replaced before I ended up with the Nexus 2.2. Its been 15k miles since and haven't had an issue since.

T43

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I thought I had lucked out and got a good 2019 JLU. Wrong. 7800 miles driving on the interstate I hit an overpass joint that crossed the road at a slight angle. Front end went nuts! Had to slow about 20 mph and it smoothed out. To start with I wasn't sure I was going to be able to stay in my lane. Glad my wife wasn't driving. It's headed to the dealer Monday.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I thought I had lucked out and got a good 2019 JLU. Wrong. 7800 miles driving on the interstate I hit an overpass joint that crossed the road at a slight angle. Front end went nuts! Had to slow about 20 mph and it smoothed out. To start with I wasn't sure I was going to be able to stay in my lane. Glad my wife wasn't driving. It's headed to the dealer Monday.
Hi Travis,
We regret to learn that you have experienced this. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed throughout your appointment, please send us a private message.
Alex
JeepCares

x3L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOJITO! JLUR 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
I had the wobble and on 3rd attempt my dealership replaced SS with a Fox aftermarket SS at no charge. Have driven it now for about 10k miles and no problem. (Dealership: Indianapolis-Tom O’Brien Jeep)
I replaced the Mopar steering dampener on both of our jeeps, the fox instantly solved the death wobble problem.

this is interesting to me. I had no wobble with the oem dampener, got the fox adjustable and now I have it.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
this is interesting to me. I had no wobble with the oem dampener, got the fox adjustable and now I have it.
that’s not good, did you try tightening it? I read where one member adjusted theirs by 15 clicks/turns?

Reactions: x3L

x3L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOJITO! JLUR 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
that’s not good, did you try tightening it? I read where one member adjusted theirs by 15 clicks/turns?
I did lastnight yeah. It was pretty much all the way loose. Went 13 clicks, drove it, hit the same bump that caused the wobble (which I drive over almost daily and first time I had wobble was lastnight). The wheel vibration was .... less, tighter, stiffer, but still present. Did 9 more clicks, a little less as above. Just cranked it all the way tight now. We'll see. Just odd I never had any wheel vibration or issue with OEM and now I do with the Fox when hitting larger bumps.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ha! Just noticed your name... :) My wife's name is Carla.

xlea379

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I've only owned my JLU 14 months now and steering dampener was replaced 5 times. Even after the recall we still had the same issue. My family no longer feels safe in the car.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've only owned my JLU 14 months now and steering dampener was replaced 5 times. Even after the recall we still had the same issue. My family no longer feels safe in the car.
So sorry to hear about this. What dealer are you working with? Feel free to send us a private message so we can look into this for you.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

ShadowKahuna

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon
Alright ladies and gentlemen,

Time to throw my hat into the ring on this issue.

I have had my JLU Rubi less than a year (actually a year next month). I love it and love driving it! I live in southern Arizona so manage to get it out quite often. In the first couple months I took my kids on a long road trip to Moab and had a blast. Long story short.... No issues with steering until I go the recall work done and the new steering stabilizer was installed. Once installed I noticed both a drift and Death Wobble. It progressively got worse and I took it back to the dealer to be looked at. The manager said there were no issues they could see and that they made sure everything was tightened and put another steering stabilizer on just to be sure. Once again the steering worked as it should for a couple miles but the drift and DW soon returned.

I was driving home from work two days ago and hit a bump at about 40 mph and the DW was so sever I had to pull over. I love my jeep and am getting fed up with contacting my dealer about the same issue. Due to the amount of comments I'm sure that this is a systemic problem. Sad that we spend this much on a vehicle and people are scared to drive it.

Bottom line, I want the steering fixed. I don't care how it is done. OEM or aftermarket... I just want to be able to drive and not have to worry every time I see a seam in the road or a manhole cover. Fully open to your input on fixes as well as part numbers for what have worked for you.

Thanks,
Matt

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

I have had my JLU Rubi less than a year (actually a year next month). I love it and love driving it! I live in southern Arizona so manage to get it out quite often. In the first couple months I took my kids on a long road trip to Moab and had a blast. Long story short.... No issues with steering until I go the recall work done and the new steering stabilizer was installed. Once installed I noticed both a drift and Death Wobble. It progressively got worse and I took it back to the dealer to be looked at. The manager said there were no issues they could see and that they made sure everything was tightened and put another steering stabilizer on just to be sure. Once again the steering worked as it should for a couple miles but the drift and DW soon returned.

I was driving home from work two days ago and hit a bump at about 40 mph and the DW was so sever I had to pull over. I love my jeep and am getting fed up with contacting my dealer about the same issue. Due to the amount of comments I'm sure that this is a systemic problem. Sad that we spend this much on a vehicle and people are scared to drive it.

Bottom line, I want the steering fixed. I don't care how it is done. OEM or aftermarket... I just want to be able to drive and not have to worry every time I see a seam in the road or a manhole cover. Fully open to your input on fixes as well as part numbers for what have worked for you.

Thanks,
Matt
Soooo...I just didn't want to take mine to the dealer, but my stock stabilizer was slowly getting worse & worse. I've got a MC 2.5" lift and had dialed back the caster as much as I dare.

I also didn't want to put ANY $ into the project 'cause theoretically I *could* get a free stabilizer if I was willing to deal w the dealer.

Anyway I had access to a new, free stabilizer for a '98 Ram 1500 (Monroe SC2960). Specs show it an inch longer than stock JL Rubi both extended and compressed. Since it was free I put it on, checking carefully that it wasn't TOO long at full compression (it makes it, barely)

So far DW is gone. It does seem to "track" a bit more on the highway, meaning slightly less return to center; if you're tracking SLIGHTLY left or right it tends to stay that way SOMEWHAT. OTOH the steering feels tighter and more responsive in some ways, too.

I dunno.....just FWIW. This stabilizer retails for $48 at O'Reilly, or $29 at RA

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks,
Matt

I put the Fox 2.0 Stabilizer on both of my JLU's, fixed the problem instantly... I am working with JEEP on a reimbursement now (if they ever return my call again)...
Sponsored