Sponsored

With Mopar Lifetime Max Care no longer available, what alternative did you go with? (Received 12/1+)

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019 - Granite Crystal Grey
As the title says, for all if you new Jeep owners, receiving your VIN or car after 12/1/18, what extended warranty did you go with?

3/36 is a great start, but with all the new electronic bells and whistles on my JLUR I am debating whether to just put $3k in an investment account for the next few years, or if there good alternatives to the MOPAR Lifetime Max Care warranty worth looking into?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I haven't looked into this yet. Are you saying Jeep offers NO extended warranties anymore, or just that the LIFETIME extended warranty is no longer offered, but you can still get an extended warranty that is time/mileage limited?

If nothing is being offered, I think that would be the first time I've heard of a Major Auto manufacturer NOT offering any kind of extended warranty.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
None. There's a reason warranties are a huge money-maker. If something major goes wrong, it's usually in the initial warranty period. Otherwise there's nothing I can't fix myself for the thousands of dollars they want for an extended warranty.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
None. There's a reason warranties are a huge money-maker. If something major goes wrong, it's usually in the initial warranty period. Otherwise there's nothing I can't fix myself for the thousands of dollars they want for an extended warranty.
If that is the case, they probably will not cancel the life-time warranty since it is "huge money maker". The truth of the fact is this generation of wrangler has so many places (mostly electronics) that are waiting to fail, and most cannot be fixed by average Joe...

Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Just the lifetime is gone. There are plenty of extended warranty options available from FCA.
Ah... that is what I expected. Thanks for the clarification.

Due to painful personal experiences*, I wouldn't go with ANY "3rd party" extended warranty (one that is not from, or backed by, the manufacturer.) Just go with one of the other official Jeep service contracts. Don't be afraid to shop -- you don't have to buy the factory extended warranty only from your selling dealer. Call other dealers and ask for quotes -- Factory extended warranties or "Extended Service Plans" are discountable and each dealer can sell at full retail, or can set his own discounted price. Many even advertise discounted factory extended warranties online... google chryslerfactoryplans for an example of just one of the many online discounters of genuine factory warranties.

The last factory warranty I purchased (GM) was from a dealer who wasn't even in my own state but I saved literally many hundreds of dollars over what my local dealer was asking for the exact same factory plan (your state may or may not allow out-of-state warranty sales -- CA doesn't for sure, but there are others).

(*Multiple people in my family have tried saving a few dollars by going with 3rd party warranties. ALL of them were "top rated" and "re-insured". ALL of them ended up going BK and I was employed to *try* to get funds returned. Sometimes I even got *some* of the funds returned after a lengthy effort.)

Last edited:

JR!

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler 2 door Sahara, 2019 rubicon unlimted, 2017 Lambo Huracan
The latest one that my dealer quoted me was 8 year 100k unlimited. Cost $2300

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Google Tom Winkels Hayes Jeep in MI.

Get a quote from him. He’s usually the cheapest. Many forum members have purchased factory extended warranties from him. At minimum, make your dealer match his quote.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I called one of those places that wholesales the warranties. Unfortunately, there’s some sort of goofy law that does not allow them to be sold in Florida. He said I could get someone from another state to buy it for me against my VIN number. I may look into that.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I called one of those places that wholesales the warranties. Unfortunately, there’s some sort of goofy law that does not allow them to be sold in Florida. He said I could get someone from another state to buy it for me against my VIN number. I may look into that.
Really? That is interesting. Florida mandates that residents pay full price but if you can work that loophole then good.
I had purchased the lifetime warranty but sent in my cancellation request.
Too many people told me their jeeps were getting flagged for ridiculous things and warranty coverage was a fight each time. Only one person I know got a new engine but theirs was bone stock. Not worth the hassle to me and I have geico breakdown insurance.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yikes. Didn’t know that about FL.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
This is I think they 3rd time the lifetime warranty has been killed? It's all marketing fluff imo.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
This is I think they 3rd time the lifetime warranty has been killed? It's all marketing fluff imo.
Interesting. You are probably correct unless they have a special algorithm that determines the precise number of Lifetime warranties that should be sold to cover current payouts and future liabilities. Then the cycle starts again.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Really? That is interesting. Florida mandates that residents pay full price but if you can work that loophole then good.
I had purchased the lifetime warranty but sent in my cancellation request.
Too many people told me their jeeps were getting flagged for ridiculous things and warranty coverage was a fight each time. Only one person I know got a new engine but theirs was bone stock. Not worth the hassle to me and I have geico breakdown insurance.
You have to ask your self how long you’re actually going to own a vehicle. Sure I love my new Rubicon. I’ve loved every one of the dozens of vehicles I’ve owned over the years. For all I know I won’t be driving in 8 years. If I could get the 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty for $2300 I might go for it. A lot of things might be excluded due to mods I make, but things like an ECU, display screen or other stuff might make it worth it.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
As the title says, for all if you new Jeep owners, receiving your VIN or car after 12/1/18, what extended warranty did you go with?

3/36 is a great start, but with all the new electronic bells and whistles on my JLUR I am debating whether to just put $3k in an investment account for the next few years, or if there good alternatives to the MOPAR Lifetime Max Care warranty worth looking into?

Thanks!
As long as you’ve got $3k to spend in the unlikely event you Jeep needs a major repair, I think you can rest easy. I’ve owned close to 20 cars and I don’t remember ever having a repair anywhere near that amount.
Sponsored