Sponsored

With Mopar Lifetime Max Care no longer available, what alternative did you go with? (Received 12/1+)

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I'm sure in a few years they will bring back the lifetime warranty with unlimited miles. They did that one before.
Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
We studied auto company standard warranties in our MBA program. Accountants and marketing people determine length and coverage unless dictated by law (such as emissions coverage). Luxury makers have longer warranties to give the allusion of quality plus the purchase price they charge allows more funds to cover the extra costs. Hyundai and Kia have long warranties to overcome the perception that Korean cars are like the Japanese cars in the 70s and 80s, cheap. VW increased their warranty recently to make up for their emissions cheating. Since FCA just paid a big fine for the same thing maybe they will increase the standard warranty soon, just after all of us get our JLs and not qualify. Since part of the big increase in base price and shipping cost for JLs recently may be FCA prepping for having to pay the $500 million fine they should give us a lifetime warranty for free. No company really pays taxes or fines, we do.
What was the conclusions about the warranties? Are they worth it statistically? Would I be better off playing the lottery when it hits $1.5B?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What was the conclusions about the warranties? Are they worth it statistically? Would I be better off playing the lottery when it hits $1.5B?
Both are statistically long shots. But for any individual they can be great. For each individual it comes down to how much risk you want to assume. Most people, but not all, won't keep a vehicle long enough to have significant claim. But if you can spread the cost of an extended warranty over a number of payments (plus interest) it may be easier than coming up with $5,000 for a large repair bill. If you can put away $100 per month for as long as you own the vehicle and never use it then you are way ahead. Most extended warranties start time and mileage when your vehicle is new so the first 3 years, five years, eight years you gain very little value from it.
If you do win $1.5B this advice costs you $100,000.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm sure in a few years they will bring back the lifetime warranty with unlimited miles. They did that one before.
It was a standard Lifetime powertrain Warranty to try and help boost sales during 2007-09 slide. They never brought it back.

They started offering the Lifetime Bumper to bumper with the MVP Lifetime MaxCare service contracts after they were taken over by Fiat. They began offering it to help residuals for leasing, and never really promoted it. It seems they tried to discourage it with all the price hikes as it became more popular, before finally saying enough is enough and dropping it.

Their 7-year option is only a few hundred less than the Lifetime was, but they stand to make significantly more money off it. FCA had dealers selling it for 40% below MSRP. I don't see the Lifetime coming back anytime so unless the price is significantly higher. They are going to start having issues replacing obsolete electronics in 10-15 years,

Sponsored

dbrisson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU R
I just purchased the MAXcare from Tom Winkels, great price and great service 5yr unlimited Option code WM5UNL1N.

He was very responsive and talked through the whole plan.

Tom Winkels
Hayes Jeep
Kalamazoo, Mi 49001
269-488-2080
[email protected]

For me the unlimited miles is like lifetime since I will trade up in 3-4 years anyway but will have miles on the truck.

alrola

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
You almost surely didn't get Mopar MaxCare with unlimited miles - you better check your paperwork, you might have gotten some kind of dealership special.

[Edit: Apparently you can still get unlimited miles, just not unlimited years. Ignore the above!]

Thank you for correcting. I was waiting to get my documents before posting back. I also have this warranty on a Dodge Durango and it is very worth it depending on the deductible you get. 7 years unlimited mileage relatively bumper to bumper is amazing.
ONE fix such as a transmission or even worse Uconnect or DVD players and that is it!

Your vehicle is covered by:

PLAN # 45377486 Issued To:ALEX

VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER: 1C%*&$&$$$%

7 YEAR UNLIMITED MAXIMUM CARE

• 7 YEAR UNLIMITED MAXIMUM CARE
(Option Code: WM7UNL2N Form Num: NMUNL517)

EFFECTIVE: 01/11/2019
EXPIRES: 01/10/2026
SELLING DEALER: 45091 GREENWAY CHRYSLER-JEEP-DODGE, INC.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
I still have the factory lifetime powertrain warranty on my 2008. I wouldn’t have purchased a brand new Chrysler without it. My Jeeps’s been reliable (not Toyota reliable, but reliable) but it has come in handy a few times. Both exhaust manifolds developed a slight crack and the upper oil pan gasket developed a small leak, after about 9 years, which were all covered.

Tephlon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon I4 eTorque, 2012 JGC Overland Summit 5.7 V8 HEMI
I got a WK2 in 2012 with the lifetime maxcare warranty and I'm so glad I got it.
They didn't even increase my price-- I had already negotiated the price when they offered me the lifetime warranty for the same price.
Multiple upper and lower control arm replacements, ball joints, rear main seal, rattling exhaust, leaking OR2 air suspension, broken motor mounts, broken sway bar linkages-- it's been invaluable for me.
I've loved all my jeeps but it makes me nervous to rely on them as a daily driver without a warranty. Too much crap goes wrong that I don't want to deal with (and pay for) myself.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
No extended warranty here. I'm a retired mechanic; I do my own work for the most part, but no - I wouldn't mess with the electronic gizmos. Still no warranty, because like some here have posted I save the cash per month - not save it as in didn't spend/opportunity cost, but literally put it in an account. By the time I hit my 36k warranty, I'll have well over 5k in there. Off chance I need it, I have it. If I don't, it's available for mods or roll into a down payment when the JM's come out.
Sponsored