With model being discontinued, what's the future value

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Think it's going to hold its value more or less.

I think less. It's a run of barely 4 years. Goes down as a brand mistake. Some people will think it's cool but not as many as who would prefer to have a vehicle with more spare parts, experienced mechanics, and a wider user knowledge base.
Sponsored

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
The ecodiesel is not some crazy mystery to mechanics. Its been in the Grand Cherokee and in countless Rams, and now Wranglers. If you are worried about resale value or desirability of the model in the future, maybe leasing vehicles would be a better option for you.

The Gladiator plans on keeping the ecodiesel, at least for now, so that should ensure parts availability even longer. I wouldn't worry about that though because it is not some unicorn model that will become obsolete. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any other engine option currently available. In Fact Ive owned 5 other previous Wranglers and swore I would not own another one simply because the engine options were lack luster to say the least.....then the diesel came and thats what's Ive always wanted in a jeep.

Here's my take on why I don't think the diesel was a big hit currently. Mainly because it came too late for the Wrangler. Let's face it, Jeeps have become highly overinflated and has become a wealthy person's game (I know that is subjective). Most people buying jeeps aren't looking to off road them and certainly aren't interested in getting their hands dirty fooling with diesels or even understand diesels in general. Most people who would have an interest in a diesel jeep have been priced out of the market. Of course that is just my opinion.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Oh look another one! People who get afraid when a model is discontinued and sell quickly werenā€™t really owners in the first place. Those types follow the social media hype train and make too many impulsive decisions.

Kahunadave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Etorque; 2015 GrCherokee ltd 2wd
Occupation
Auto Lending
The ecodiesel is not some crazy mystery to mechanics. Its been in the Grand Cherokee and in countless Rams, and now Wranglers. If you are worried about resale value or desirability of the model in the future, maybe leasing vehicles would be a better option for you.

The Gladiator plans on keeping the ecodiesel, at least for now, so that should ensure parts availability even longer. I wouldn't worry about that though because it is not some unicorn model that will become obsolete. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any other engine option currently available. In Fact Ive owned 5 other previous Wranglers and swore I would not own another one simply because the engine options were lack luster to say the least.....then the diesel came and thats what's Ive always wanted in a jeep.

Here's my take on why I don't think the diesel was a big hit currently. Mainly because it came too late for the Wrangler. Let's face it, Jeeps have become highly overinflated and has become a wealthy person's game (I know that is subjective). Most people buying jeeps aren't looking to off road them and certainly aren't interested in getting their hands dirty fooling with diesels or even understand diesels in general. Most people who would have an interest in a diesel jeep have been priced out of the market. Of course that is just my opinion.
Very accurate and good Opinion.
Its not surprising to see Jeeps so modded out just for cruising...and then up for sale. But hey thatā€™s their prerogative, and one which probably has been good for the Jeep resale market. I dont know the history of the Ecodiesel but venture a guess that if its working well in the truck and Gr Cherokee market,, it should be sustainable and maybe weā€™ll see Stellantis offer it again in the Wrangler. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Similar to the 2.0T, weā€™re seeing more and more Manufacturers downsize displacement in favor of a Turbo, and continue to carry Diesels in models where its absolutely necessary.

Sponsored

Deleted member 74991

Think it's going to hold its value more or less.

I think less. It's a run of barely 4 years. Goes down as a brand mistake. Some people will think it's cool but not as many as who would prefer to have a vehicle with more spare parts, experienced mechanics, and a wider user knowledge base.
Sounds like you wanted to flip it for a profit and now itā€™s not looking like youā€™re going to get more than you paid. Bummer Dude

OP
OP

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Sounds like you wanted to flip it for a profit and now itā€™s not looking like youā€™re going to get more than you paid. Bummer Dude
Nope. Just wish this wasnā€™t a DOA model. Prefer to ownvehicles with long and proven lifespans.

Not that I expected the staying power of a 4Runner but three years is a debacle.

OP
OP

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt

Availability of parts. Reliability and continued service for a model that got discontinued after it was barely on sale.

Iā€™ve never leased. Never will. Just wish Iā€™d gotten a model that the company didnā€™t already give up on.

• Sad
Reactions: GtX

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
There have been people wanting and waiting for a diesel since the TJ years when the CRD diesel was put in the KJ Liberty. Because of that, many diesel fans will want or hold onto their Eco Diesels; so if anything, they could hold their value more to the right buyer.

Otherwise, with only 2 1/2 years of production parts availability/support, complexity, and the extra weight are factors that could turn away buyers and level the value out.

Realistically they will keep the same value as a normal gas Jeep unless it's to the right buyer that specifically wants the diesel.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Body-on-frame with solid front & rear axles, I would consider the Wrangler Ecodiesel as a baby Ford Excursion Powerstroke. Keeping the diesel Jeep stock and unmodified would definitely hold its value.
christian-bale-confused.gif

Sponsored

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Nope. Just wish this wasnā€™t a DOA model. Prefer to ownvehicles with long and proven lifespans.

Not that I expected the staying power of a 4Runner but three years is a debacle.
I can name about 20 3 to 5-year engine options in various Manufacturers.

The Eco-Diesel has been used in Chrysler vehicles since 2014 I believe. The Model isn't DOA, they're just dropping the option from the JL etc. Wrangler. 10 years isn't a proven life span? It will still be in the Gladiator, possibly the RAM. When/If Chrysler does drop the Eco-Diesel completely, the Manufacturer is required to produce OEM replacement parts for the following 10 years. Post that 10-year span, aftermarket will still have parts, as they do for my 1972 Karman Ghia even some factory......50 years later (for example)

These types of comments/thinking are knee jerk and bandwagon.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I can name about 20 3 to 5-year engine options in various Manufacturers.

The Eco-Diesel has been used in Chrysler vehicles since 2014 I believe. The Model isn't DOA, they're just dropping the option from the JL etc. Wrangler. 10 years isn't a proven life span? It will still be in the Gladiator, possibly the RAM. When/If Chrysler does drop the Eco-Diesel completely, the Manufacturer is required to produce OEM replacement parts for the following 10 years. Post that 10-year span, aftermarket will still have parts, as they do for my 1972 Karman Ghia even some factory......50 years later (for example)

These types of comments/thinking are knee jerk and bandwagon.
Dropped from Ram before Wrangler, GC before Ram, Gladiatorā€” on borrowed time likely until another engine ( T-6, hybrid) is introduced. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø Alsoā€” 10yrs isnā€™t long, my bought new 95 Dodge V10 PU needed an ā€œobsoleteā€ ignition control module ~2 years ago. Not repairable, no after market, took about 3 months of searching to find one in an out of state junkyard, if not found the PU would have been junk.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Dropped from Ram before Wrangler, GC before Ram, Gladiatorā€” on borrowed time likely until another engine ( T-6, hybrid) is introduced. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø Alsoā€” 10yrs isnā€™t long, my bought new 95 Dodge V10 PU needed an ā€œobsoleteā€ ignition control module ~2 years ago. Not repairable, no after market, took about 3 months of searching to find one in an out of state junkyard, if not found the PU would have been junk.
I'm not sure how it was dropped from the RAM before the Wrangler.... 1/2023 is still in production.
GC was 2019.
The 8.0 V-10 was used in the RAM from 1994-2001? 7 years. There is a lot more Eco-Diesels on the road in various platforms than there ever was V-10 8.0s in a RAM. Most of the Eco-Diesel parts are interchangeable and plentiful. You had an issue finding a part almost 27 years later........ Thats pretty much the point I was trying to make. You'll have access to parts long after production ends, especially with an engine with higher production numbers during its run.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I'm not sure how it was dropped from the RAM before the Wrangler.... 1/2023 is still in production.
GC was 2019.
The 8.0 V-10 was used in the RAM from 1994-2001? 7 years. There is a lot more Eco-Diesels on the road in various platforms than there ever was V-10 8.0s in a RAM. Most of the Eco-Diesel parts are interchangeable and plentiful. You had an issue finding a part almost 27 years later........ Thats pretty much the point I was trying to make. You'll have access to parts long after production ends, especially with an engine with higher production numbers during its run.
Was announced being dropped from Ram before Wrangler. But yes, with much higher production numbers there should be more after market support and used parts available. It was a very stressful search, also worrisome- the next ā€œObsoleteā€ part needed to keep it running? We actually agree. šŸ˜Š Editā€” a forum member gave me another source his wife works for that specializes in V10ā€™s, hooray! šŸ˜Š

Kahunadave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Etorque; 2015 GrCherokee ltd 2wd
Occupation
Auto Lending
GC was 2019.
Agree.. i dont know all the facts and certainly not a Diesel expert either, but i recall that v-10s were all the rage back in the day, when the Ford Excursion was around! That being said.. that was prob also a time when we were less focused on gas prices. Diesel on the other hand has been on the upsurge for decades.. from the MBenz E series, to VW Touareg etc. I think it comes and goes according to how its marketed and the public perception/need. You look at Mercedes Benz diesels now compared to 20yrs ago.. night and day diff and probably more sold now than then. Not saying Jeep diesel is a MB but it just may not be the right platform right now? šŸ¤”
Sponsored