Sponsored

With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'd strongly consider a Bronco if it was a 76 or 77 w/ a 302 :)
I used to know an older guy who drove nothing but Bronco II's. He had 2 runners on the road to chose from, and enough parts to build a couple more. I believe they were late 60's to early 70's, but could be off a bit. I occasionally drove them and it was a blast. They had a turning radius so tight that the rear inner wheel stood still while pulling a u-turn.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The point of this thread was meant to focus on if Jeep decided to drop the 2 door, as already fewer and fewer options/packages are offered.

I think the 2 door Bronco gives the 2 door Wrangler a longer life. We shall see.
The whole point of the Stellantis merger was to bring FCA up to speed with “electrification.”

Political arguments aside, electrification is a big deal in other parts of the world, especially in Europe, where FCA and PSA are based.

The head of Stellantis, Carlos Tavares, is no fool; he is perhaps the only auto executive who can justify his fat salary; he is an rational pragmatist.

Wrangler is a huge money-maker for Stellantis, but it is mostly North America-centric. Despite much effort by FCA to globalize Wrangler, the reality is that 80% of sales remain in the US and Canada.

So, any Wrangler plans, 2-door included, will have to take into account wider corporate electrification plans, Jeep’s and particularly Wrangler’s ongoing “globalization” plans, and the continued drive to keep elevating Jeep in price —if not in dealer experience. Taking everything together: the future of the 2-door Wrangler faces an uphill, IMO.

Ford, on the other hand, has become more North America-centric. In recent years, both Ford and GM curtailed their operations and offerings in Europe and Australia. That should give Ford more latitude in developing Bronco, including the 2-door, as a North America-only product.

Personally, I doubt I’d ever consider a Bronco. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a Lego project gone wrong.

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
The point of this thread was meant to focus on if Jeep decided to drop the 2 door, as already fewer and fewer options/packages are offered.

I think the 2 door Bronco gives the 2 door Wrangler a longer life. We shall see.
Depending on your wants and needs I think this premise is a bit flawed. When I "build" a Bronco I can not configure it as well as a 2dr Wrangler. I would want Rubicon style goodies with a manual and a V6. Can't get that in a Bronco period.

So you are frustrated by trying to get a 2dr Wrangler more ala carte and I feel the same about the 2dr Bronco. Just so happens that Bronco's are almost impossible to get, like most Ford products right now and my wife had her heart set on a Jeep.

I do not find the size of the Bronco to be an issue for how I would use it. It still fits on trails fine and it is almost certainly a better driver on road the way it will get used over 90% of the time. The increased size is actually what attracts me to the Bronco as I find the narrow cabin of the Jeep too cramped and I hate that there is no place for my left foot with the manual trans. Personally I would never consider a Wrangler, in fact I purposely avoided buying one for years because of its lack of practicality. I think the 2dr Bronco has it beat for interior space, cargo space and everyday drivability.

The Jeep works at my house these days because it sits in the garage most of the time. If my wife still travelled for work, no way I would have caved and bought one, I would have waited for the Bronco. I would have had to compromise the configuration though, same as you feel you had to do with the Jeep.

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Let me preface this by saying that I like 2 doors. I've owned a 1980 K5 blazer, Thunderbird and '99 TJ. I would totally consider a 2-door Bronco, but I don't think the options for 2 doors from Jeep are all that limited, plenty of options. I also don't think they will be abandoned at any time.

I was totally considering another 2 door Wrangler before purchasing my JLUR. But my wife and son made the 4-door better suited for us. With that being said, with the current wheelbase of the JL, the 2 door looks a little "off" to me. The doors would need to be longer to have the correct proportions I am used to. The Bronco 2-door looks better suited as a 2-door (to me). Thus my considering a Bronco if going back to a two door.

Sponsored

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
I was frustrated that when ordering in August multiple dealers confirmed that dual tops aren't available for two doors! Found that very annoying...I'm trying to give Jeep money and they force me to aftermarket?!? It's like they want me to look at others like the Bronco! Still I stuck with 2 door JL, in part because God knows when an ordered bronco would get to me but we will see next time around what my options are.

Ironically my jl has been gathering parts for almost 2 months!

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Here's the thing. Unless you really need lockers - and I still maintain the need for them is overrated - you can turn a 2 door sport / sport s into a super capable machine for around $1200.
Rubicon take off suspension for a 2 - 3 inch lift: $100
Quick disco's: $150
33" tires: $1000

The BLD will get you over 98% of obstacles unless you're going serious rock crawling.

Add another $1500 for a steel bumper / winch and I'd trust that 2 door almost anywhere....

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I used to know an older guy who drove nothing but Bronco II's. He had 2 runners on the road to chose from, and enough parts to build a couple more. I believe they were late 60's to early 70's, but could be off a bit. I occasionally drove them and it was a blast. They had a turning radius so tight that the rear inner wheel stood still while pulling a u-turn.
I was thinking something like this :)

Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 1632587023838

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
The only Ford '2-door' I want is a Raptor SuperCab...And Ford discontinued those! I have owned 3 Raptor SuperCabs and really liked them. If Ford decides to bring back the SuperCab (2-door extended cab with small 'suicide' rear doors that open from inside) when they announce the Raptor R (V8) next year, I would buy one in a NY minute. Would make a great stablemate for my JLR!

Last edited:

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I would not own a 2 door JL had I not grown up with 78-96 Broncos. That being said, Ford missed the boat copying the Wrangler instead of just shortening the F-150 again.

Would love a 78/79 Free Wheeling or Blue on White before the twin traction beam. Peak Bronco.

Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 262CCD8B-396C-4936-BFE6-04A6DA002F2F

Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 2B719ABD-4A60-41FF-89B8-998649373491

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
I’m not considering a Bronco, but am considering other 4WD and body-on-frame vehicles.

It has nothing to do Wrangler itself; it has everything to do with Jeep dealers.

Even if I buy another Jeep elsewhere I still have to deal with my local dealer for service and warranty, and that’s a non-starter. Because of that, there’s no way in hell I’ll buy another Jeep. Period.

Only thing I would ever consider if Nissan brings the Patrol back as it was in its 60s version. Bone stock, with 5.10s. My dad had one and a CJ5, the Patrol was just as fun to drive and looked really cool. I doubt Nissan ever does that.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Only thing I would ever consider if Nissan brings the Patrol back as it was in its 60s version. Bone stock, with 5.10s. My dad had one and a CJ5, the Patrol was just as fun to drive and looked really cool. I doubt Nissan ever does that.
While we're reminiscing, how 'bout the Unimog??
Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 1632617533297

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I would not own a 2 door JL had I not grown up with 78-96 Broncos. That being said, Ford missed the boat copying the Wrangler instead of just shortening the F-150 again.

Would love a 78/79 Free Wheeling or Blue on White before the twin traction beam. Peak Bronco.

Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 1632617533297

When I think 'Bronco', it's that blue over white that I see in my mind.
If only Ford had gone that path with the 6G. I would have lost my mind if it looked like this:
Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 2021-ford-bronco-vintage-renderings (2)
Sponsored