Sponsored

With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco?

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
My nostradamus guess is that the next generation 2 door is gonna have a longer wheelbase and come with 35s as well as a little more trunk space.
I've always thought it would be sweet if Jeep made an LJ length 2door Wrangler again and had 3 different sized Wrangler options. You could do CJ5 size, LJ size, and 4 door size. But that does not seem likely unless people are flocking to the Bronco for a longer wheel base.

I'd love to see the short 2 door shortened up to CJ5 size like the Shortcut concept.

Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 1632503281822

Then I would like to see something the size of this Trail Concepts 'JKL' built by jeepworks. Its the same size as the old LJ. Many Jeepers would say the original LJ was the perfect size Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 1632503539299

As for the OP. I think the Jeep and the Bronco are very different vehicles. Do you want a solid axle up front for a better platform or are you OK with the IFS. If either setup works for you then you need to drive them for yourselt to see what you like. If you like the Bronco with IFS, you should also consider a 4 runner and other options that use IFS.

EDIT: Don't forget the JK 110 concept
Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? 1632504195483
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The two-door JL and the LJ are actually the same size (overall length), if my google-fu is working. The wheelbase is only slightly different, and some would say the slightly shorter wheelbase of the JL is to its benefit as it creates a better breakover angle.

JL 2D - 97" WB; 167" OAL
JL 4D - 118" WB; 188" OAL
LJ - 103"; 167 OAL

I don't know if offering six inches additional wheelbase would make enough difference.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I realize we are all different, but for me NO. If the Bronco is what I wanted, I would have just ordered it and would be waiting. If I wanted a Bronco, but couldn't get one right now, why would I buy a Wrangler. To me it makes no since, you either want one or the other. Or maybe it is because I simply don't have that kind of money to throw around.

For me they are 2 completely different animals. Not taking away anything from the Bronco and it's first year for the new one, or it's capabilities. I simply don't like it that much. The Jeep Wrangler, I love the history, the look, everything. Even if it was (And I don't think it is) less of a vehicle.

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The two-door JL and the LJ are actually the same size (overall length), if my google-fu is working. The wheelbase is only slightly different, and some would say the slightly shorter wheelbase of the JL is to its benefit as it creates a better breakover angle.

JL 2D - 97" WB; 167" OAL
JL 4D - 118" WB; 188" OAL
LJ - 103"; 167 OAL

I don't know if offering six inches additional wheelbase would make enough difference.
Something is off on that LJ number. I have an old brochure from the 2006 LJ and it says overall lenght on the Rubicon LJ was 172". Which makes more sense if you look at the 2 side by side. Believe it or not that extra 5" of cargo room makes a big difference.

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
No.

On a gut level, I just do not like the Bronco.
There are plenty of other Ford products that I would buy, not to fill the same role as a Wrangler or a Gladiator. Hell, I would even buy the Bronco Sport as a daily driver.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I would actually love to buy a 4 door Bronco as long as I get to keep my 2 door Wrangler. The 4 door Bronco would be used for long camping trips and as a rig to pull my ordered offroad camper when the 2 door falls short, or when we are not going wheeling. I'd keep the 2 door jeep for wheeling adventures and the 4 door bronco for long trips. I would not modify the Bronco. I would have to convince the wife though.

If I was forced to trade my 2 door JL and be left without a Jeep, I would get a 4 door Wrangler. I would never buy a 2 door Bronco unless the next generation Wrangler sucks.

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No.

On a gut level, I just do not like the Bronco.
There are plenty of other Ford products that I would buy, not to fill the same role as a Wrangler or a Gladiator. Hell, I would even buy the Bronco Sport as a daily driver.
The Bronco should have been the size of the Bronco Sport. That would have been sweet. The 4 door is really a big behemoth. The 2 door is better, but its still nearly the same size as a full size Bronco in the 90s. A 2 door Jeep is more compact and nimble and will feel very different than a Bronco.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Something is off on that LJ number. I have an old brochure from the 2006 LJ and it says overall lenght on the Rubicon LJ was 172". Which makes more sense if you look at the 2 side by side. Believe it or not that extra 5" of cargo room makes a big difference.
You may be right, at least partly. Wikipedia shows the LJ specs as 171 inches overall, but at least two inches of that four inch difference was between the front and rear seat, so most of it wasn't available as cargo space unless you were taking the rear seat out. It is the only place I found it to be different than the JL though. Either way, the LJ and the JL are very close; whether it's the same (as in most of the published specs), or it's four inches of overall length (at wiki).

167" per Autoblog https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2006-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited__2dr_4x4_LWB/specs/
167" per Edmunds https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler/2006/st-100632396/features-specs/
167" per Jalopnik https://jalopnik.com/why-the-2004-to-2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-lj-is-the-1837831885
167" per Chrysler https://s3.amazonaws.com/chryslerme...site/specs/2004JeepWranglerUnlimitedSpecs.pdf

Last edited:

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
The Bronco should have been the size of the Bronco Sport. That would have been sweet. The 4 door is really a big behemoth. The 2 door is better, but its still nearly the same size as a full size Bronco in the 90s. A 2 door Jeep is more compact and nimble and will feel very different than a Bronco.

The thing is, I don't even want a two-door Wrangler. I would like a JLU, a JT...or better an extended cab Gladiator.
But with the Bronco, I get the same feeling in my stomach as thinking about brussel sprouts ice cream.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
For the offroad crowd the way they see it. The 2 door on 33s is extremely capable. for the bling crowds the 2 doors already looks badass on 33s, they look bigger than 35s on 4 doors.
Totally agree. I've taken several trails where reviewers say 35s+ are required but my 2dr w/ 33's never even scraped. The short wheelbase of the 2dr is a very capable off-road feature. More than most think.

My nostradamus guess is that the next generation 2 door is gonna have a longer wheelbase and come with 35s as well as a little more trunk space.
I have to reluctantly agree. I already think the JL generation 2dr is getting long and I don't see that trend reversing. Especially with fleet emissions requirements tied to wheel base. I plan on keeping my JL until I move to a next-gen EV Jeep with a drivetrain and suspension that leverages independently powered wheels. The 4xe and existing 4WD drivetrain isn't advanced enough for me yet.

This is a problem for me as I only found 1 tire manufacturer that makes a 35" winter tire (Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3) and it's really a 34.4" and not a pizza cutter. Without winter tires, I won't make it home or will slide and crash leaving home. 3PMSF ATs don't cut it. If it ends up that Jeeps can't get winter tires, I can't have a Jeep. Or at least a new one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The point of this thread was meant to focus on if Jeep decided to drop the 2 door, as already fewer and fewer options/packages are offered.

I think the 2 door Bronco gives the 2 door Wrangler a longer life. We shall see.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not considering a Bronco, but am considering other 4WD and body-on-frame vehicles.

It has nothing to do Wrangler itself; it has everything to do with Jeep dealers.

Even if I buy another Jeep elsewhere I still have to deal with my local dealer for service and warranty, and that’s a non-starter. Because of that, there’s no way in hell I’ll buy another Jeep. Period.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Although Jeep is more pricey the 2 door Jeep Rubicon is all you need if your serious about Off-roading. The Rubicon has everything. 33 inch tires on a short 96 inch wheel base is more then enough.

What lack of options are you referring to? 35 inch tires? The stock Rubicon can run 35s. If you need more suspension get the Mopar 2 inch lift! What's missing?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd strongly consider a Bronco if it was a 76 or 77 w/ a 302 :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If the extent of my planned offroad use was limited to semi groomed trails and Panera bread parking lots in between street sweepings...
Jeep Wrangler JL With fewer 2 door options, would you consider a Bronco? tenor (25)

Otherwise, I'd much rather have the right tool than the good enough one. With a plethora of aftermarket options only a UPS ride away, a factory package can be replicated. Actually, it would be easily bested with the aftermarket.

As far as warranty coverage, we'll that's up to finding the right dealer. My JLUR is highly modified, and most service writers were turning around and denying me on the spot as soon as they saw my Jeep from across their lot. I was trying to get the steering box tsb done. After a bunch of different dealers, I finally found a service department manager that genuinely wanted a happy customer, knowing that it pays in the long run to better their reputation. Everyone at that dealer kept saying that they've never seen a jeep so highly modified, but they made it happen and earned a happy customer that now recommends them.
Sponsored