Wish I had ordered Steel Bumpers.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
It depends on what you mean by “well made”. If it is well engineered with crumple zones, and designed to act as a mechanical fuse in an accident and destroy itself to protect you and the major structural components of your vehicle, then yes. If the bumper is made of forged, depleted uranium and is indestructible, then no.
Remember, the energy cannot be destroyed, it has to go somewhere. If you hit a concrete wall and the bumper holds up, the force will just be transferred to the next weakest link until all motion as stopped and all energy has been dissipated. If the entire car is built like a tank, then your body takes all the damage. In automotive engineering, the goal isn’t to hold the car intact in an accident, it’s to destroy itself and absorb the energy to protect the occupants. It’s counter intuitive I know.
You sir, are one of the few people who actually understand laws of physics, bravo!
Sponsored

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I agree - I've been super happy with the mopar steel bumper group. At time of purchase had option of another JLUR with leather which I wanted, but was the blue color and I was tied to bright white and no steel bumper group. Long story short, have been looking at a lot of bumpers out of curiosity and best I've liked so far is AEV which isn't out yet or the addictive desert designs.

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-front-bumper.jpg

jeep-wrangler-jl-stubby-bumper.jpg

Kangarhew

First Name
Rhew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I agree - I've been super happy with the mopar steel bumper group. At time of purchase had option of another JLUR with leather which I wanted, but was the blue color and I was tied to bright white and no steel bumper group. Long story short, have been looking at a lot of bumpers out of curiosity and best I've liked so far is AEV which isn't out yet or the addictive desert designs.

I have been looking at the addictive desert stinger bumper for a while, just don’t know if I want to drop $1k on it or not. If it was a little less I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’m in the Mopar bumper crowd. I just picked up an OEM yesterday. Had to buy a winch plate. I just have not seen an aftermarket bumper I like.

Rear bumper is a different story. I may go with one with a tire carrier and high lift jack storage spot.

Sponsored

shaneR

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL & an Audi TT
Since we are talking bumpers, any unwritten jeep rules about the front bumper matching the back? I am thinking of switching my front plastic bumper for the steel rubicon JL bumper but leaving the back as the stock plastic bumper. Is it pretty normal to have steel front, plastic back?

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Someone here on the forum figured out how to piece together a steel bumper using Mopar part numbers for CHEAP. If I remember correctly like $400. The front steel bumper is great, I bought mine after wards and replaced my plastic bumper with it.

Everything I’ve seen about the rear steel bumper tends to say it’s crap and will actually cause more damage than it prevents off-road. I kept my plastic bumper in the rear for now.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

You see a tough looking bumper, but together with the headlights and the bumper lights, I see a goofy face clenching it’s teeth.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Since we are talking bumpers, any unwritten jeep rules about the front bumper matching the back? I am thinking of switching my front plastic bumper for the steel rubicon JL bumper but leaving the back as the stock plastic bumper. Is it pretty normal to have steel front, plastic back?
Perfectly fine..i have actually done that with at least 4 Jeeps if i remember correctly.

Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I love the front Mopar bumper, but the rear bumper didn't do so well when it hit a rock at Hidden Falls yesterday. The whole bumper flexed up and put a tiny crease in the corner panel just above the bumper. I had to jump on the corner to flex it back down enough I didn't have to worry about it continuing to rub for the rest of the trip (didn't want to have to unmount the whole thing and pound the bracket straight with a hammer since I was out with friends). It just isn't attached very well to the frame, and the brackets that hold it in place aren't strong enough to survive anything more than light bumps.

Needless to say, I'm on the list for AEV's rear bumper/tire carrier offering, but I'll stick with Mopar on the front.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Someone here on the forum figured out how to piece together a steel bumper using Mopar part numbers for CHEAP. If I remember correctly like $400. The front steel bumper is great, I bought mine after wards and replaced my plastic bumper with it.

Everything I’ve seen about the rear steel bumper tends to say it’s crap and will actually cause more damage than it prevents off-road. I kept my plastic bumper in the rear for now.
I'm interested in this, if you remember where you saw it, help a brother out!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner

That doesn’t even look like it belongs on a JL. That’s another problem I have with aftermarket bumpers. The lines don’t match the JL. It’s like they took old JK bumpers and fixed the mount points to work with JL.
Sponsored