Sponsored

Wise Jeepers: Trade jlus for rubicon?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'd like to see if I can get some wise counsel evaluating my probably absurd idea of trading in a customized jl sport s 6 speed(bought late June and love it) for a base level rubicon.:cwl: Like many others, this is my first wrangler and my daily driver(20k miles/yr) and I love it. I've made several mods and am taking it offroad once/twice month(moderate trails/climbs, no mud) as there are alot of good mtn trails near me and a healthy offroad community. It's the classic example of being denied on a few climbs(and seeing rubicon lockers in action)and knowing my 3.45 gearing and m200 rear/m186 front open axles aren't ideal with bigger tires(on daily commute driving up/down mtn roads + not good pull in 6th gear on hwy or offroad)and now wanting to add lockers, regear and run 35" ko2's. I researched regearing to 4.56(want to maximize efficiency), d44 axles and adding lockers and have found it expensive(regearing $1500, lockers $930*2 axles + labor) and only pricey ARB air lockers available that require onboard air. I greatly prefer e-lockers and dont like lunchbox style due to noise and not being able to control when they engage. In hindsight, I really wish I had originally bought a rubicon for $8k more with dana 44 axles, 4.10 gearing and electric lockers covered under warranty.

Quick background: I'm 37 with 3 young kids and a wife to support and have an established good paying career. I like to make sound financial decisions and my wife isnt crazy about my jeep addiction. :like:

Purchased jeep setup & cost:
Sport s 6 speed with tech group(7" screen; no alpine sound), hardtop & all weather mats
Cost:
SLEGER6.jpg

Put down $1k and financed $36,241 @2.9% over 72 months.(790 credit score) Payment is $549/month.

Total Modifications cost: $4500
$1500- Rubicon takeoff suspension/wheels/tires
$3000- Sahara steps for kids(prefer roam), Window tint,hotheads headliner w/ sound deadener, rear seat recline kit, door sills, plasti dip black grill, custom sound system(better than alpine), noico sound deadener under floorboard/doors/hood, remove some padding in driver seat

Added a Lange lift in garage and love having hardtop removed every wknd in 10 min. Dealer would let me transfer my hardtop with headliner to new vehicle, so dont need to pay for hardtop option on rubi. I would be losing the great sound system with custom cut holes for better speakers(prob not transferrable) and extensive sound deadener labor that I did myself.

Total investment $37,241 + $4500 = $41,741
Mileage: 8400 miles
Payoff: $34k
Quoted trade in value: $31k
Upside down:$3k

2018 base rubi 6 speed with trade: $40k with fees/taxes

Total financials: $3k(upside down on sport)+ $40k(rubi)=$43k financing at 2.9% = $651/month payment over 6 yrs and factor in loss of stereo

Is this asinine to consider? Would I be better off trying to find rubi takeoff d44 axles that have gearing & lockers?(saw parts for $3500+ alot of labor) Here's current jeep that has been a labor of love:
N6N3bm8.jpg

5QRDU4m.jpg

Thanks for your advice!
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Sound financial decision? Absolutely not. Something you want? Yes.

I’m the same way. I’ll justify just about anything. I put a 10k lift in my shop to install the lift for the Jeep. Why? Because now I can easily service our other vehicles. If you want it and can afford it, get it. You’ll always see one and wish you had it. Even if you spent all the money to upgrade yours it still won’t be what you wanted. Rubi will hold their value a little more.

Brett

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I would keep the Sport at least a couple more years. Having the lower payment (compared to a Rubicon), will allow you to save up and buy upgrades without incurring more debt. If you find that you still want the Rubicon, that extra time will help with saving up a large down payment. Who knows, during that time maybe Jeep will release a Special Edition that fit's your lifestyle, budget and needs even better than a Rubi.

The Sport model is a very capable Jeep, and will go 90% of the places that a Rubicon can go. If you want more capability, save up and buy upgrades as you need them...Following a "Built, not Bought" mentality. Also, don't rule out taking an Off-Road driving course. A huge amount of a vehicle's capability comes from the skill of the driver. We can all learn something by taking a class, I know I sure can.

Besides, If you decide to trade in the Sport for the Rubi, you will still want to buy upgrades. It just comes with Jeep ownership, and being able to customize it is part of the fun. However, it's much easier to buy upgrades with a Sport's monthly payment, than a Rubi payment.

BTW, way your calculations for the Rubi show 2.9% @ 72 month interest payment. I haven't been able to find anything that low since the Feds raised the rates. If you know of a place, please let me know. :)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to see if I can get some wise counsel evaluating my probably absurd idea of trading in a customized jl sport s 6 speed(bought late June and love it) for a base level rubicon.:cwl: Like many others, this is my first wrangler and my daily driver(20k miles/yr) and I love it. I've made several mods and am taking it offroad once/twice month(moderate trails/climbs, no mud) as there are alot of good mtn trails near me and a healthy offroad community. It's the classic example of being denied on a few climbs(and seeing rubicon lockers in action)and knowing my 3.45 gearing and m200 rear/m186 front open axles aren't ideal with bigger tires(on daily commute driving up/down mtn roads + not good pull in 6th gear on hwy or offroad)and now wanting to add lockers, regear and run 35" ko2's. I researched regearing to 4.56(want to maximize efficiency), d44 axles and adding lockers and have found it expensive(regearing $1500, lockers $930*2 axles + labor) and only pricey ARB air lockers available that require onboard air. I greatly prefer e-lockers and dont like lunchbox style due to noise and not being able to control when they engage. In hindsight, I really wish I had originally bought a rubicon for $8k more with dana 44 axles, 4.10 gearing and electric lockers covered under warranty.

Quick background: I'm 37 with 3 young kids and a wife to support and have an established good paying career. I like to make sound financial decisions and my wife isnt crazy about my jeep addiction. :like:

Purchased jeep setup & cost:
Sport s 6 speed with tech group(7" screen; no alpine sound), hardtop & all weather mats
Cost:
SLEGER6.jpg

Put down $1k and financed $36,241 @2.9% over 72 months.(790 credit score) Payment is $549/month.

Total Modifications cost: $4500
$1500- Rubicon takeoff suspension/wheels/tires
$3000- Sahara steps for kids(prefer roam), Window tint,hotheads headliner w/ sound deadener, rear seat recline kit, door sills, plasti dip black grill, custom sound system(better than alpine), noico sound deadener under floorboard/doors/hood, remove some padding in driver seat

Added a Lange lift in garage and love having hardtop removed every wknd in 10 min. Dealer would let me transfer my hardtop with headliner to new vehicle, so dont need to pay for hardtop option on rubi. I would be losing the great sound system with custom cut holes for better speakers(prob not transferrable) and extensive sound deadener labor that I did myself.

Total investment $37,241 + $4500 = $41,741
Mileage: 8400 miles
Payoff: $34k
Quoted trade in value: $31k
Upside down:$3k

2018 base rubi 6 speed with trade: $40k with fees/taxes

Total financials: $3k(upside down on sport)+ $40k(rubi)=$43k financing at 2.9% = $651/month payment over 6 yrs and factor in loss of stereo

Is this asinine to consider? Would I be better off trying to find rubi takeoff d44 axles that have gearing & lockers?(saw parts for $3500+ alot of labor) Here's current jeep that has been a labor of love:
N6N3bm8.jpg

5QRDU4m.jpg

Thanks for your advice!
I think you've got a pretty good setup already, so trading up isn't really necessary unless you absolutely have to have locking differentials and a 4.10 gear ratio.

Since this is your daily driver and your wife isn't fully on board I'm guessing hold off for now, and get her warmed up to the Idea before pulling that trigger.

Once she's on board a base Rubicon wouldn't be a bad Idea :like:

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Sound financial decision? Absolutely not. Something you want? Yes.

I’m the same way. I’ll justify just about anything. I put a 10k lift in my shop to install the lift for the Jeep. Why? Because now I can easily service our other vehicles. If you want it and can afford it, get it. You’ll always see one and wish you had it. Even if you spent all the money to upgrade yours it still won’t be what you wanted. Rubi will hold their value a little more.

Brett
I hear ya...if I were a single man without kids, I would've driven a rubi home from the jeep dealer yesterday!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I would keep the Sport at least a couple more years. Having the lower payment (compared to a Rubicon), will allow you to save up and buy upgrades without incurring more debt. If you find that you still want the Rubicon, that extra time will help with saving up a large down payment. Who knows, during that time maybe Jeep will release a Special Edition that fit's your lifestyle, budget and needs even better than a Rubi.

The Sport model is a very capable Jeep, and will go 90% of the places that a Rubicon can go. If you want more capability, save up and buy upgrades as you need them...Following a "Built, not Bought" mentality. Also, don't rule out taking an Off-Road driving course. A huge amount of a vehicle's capability comes from the skill of the driver. We can all learn something by taking a class, I know I sure can.

Besides, If you decide to trade in the Sport for the Rubi, you will still want to buy upgrades. It just comes with Jeep ownership, and being able to customize it is part of the fun. However, it's much easier to buy upgrades with a Sport's monthly payment, than a Rubi payment.

BTW, way your calculations for the Rubi show 2.9% @ 72 month interest payment. I haven't been able to find anything that low since the Feds raised the rates. If you know of a place, please let me know. :)
Good thoughts...I rechecked interest rates and they're now around 3.4%...Is that what you're finding?

Also, you're correct about still wanting upgrades on a rubi adding cost further. I like my rubi takeoff suspension/tires/wheels.. the main mod I want to add badly is lockers and regearing later. I've read that it makes sense (save $ on labor) if you want to add lockers and are considering regearing...to do both together while the differentials are being worked on. Hopefully, more economical lockers will hit the mkt soon.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I think you've got a pretty good setup already, so trading up isn't really necessary unless you absolutely have to have locking differentials and a 4.10 gear ratio.

Since this is your daily driver and your wife isn't fully on board I'm guessing hold off for now, and get her warmed up to the Idea before pulling that trigger.

Once she's on board a base Rubicon wouldn't be a bad Idea :like:
Valid and rational feedback. You must be married with kids!:party:
It seems smart to hold out for economical lockers to be released that work well for daily driving.(want quiet and ones that can be turned off/on)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Valid and rational feedback. You must be married with kids!:party:
It seems smart to hold out for economical lockers to be released that work well for daily driving.(want quiet and ones that can be turned off/on)
lol, no kids yet but I've gotta keep my wife happy. ;)

Some of that involves not unbalancing the budget.

Honestly if you can find a Rubicon for about the same as your upgraded Sport S it wouldn't be a bad trade either, just keep in mind options can make that price jump up.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
lol, no kids yet but I've gotta keep my wife happy. ;)

Some of that involves not unbalancing the budget.

Honestly if you can find a Rubicon for about the same as your upgraded Sport S it wouldn't be a bad trade either, just keep in mind options can make that price jump up.
I hear ya...happy wife..happy life. Did you see the financial info in the original post? I'm upside down in the sport by $3k and the base 2018 rubi is $41k including tax paid on the $9k trade difference. I could kick in $3k to pay for the amount the sport is underwater and finance $41k for the rubi at $3.4%. That would put monthly payment about $100/month more for rubi.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hear ya...happy wife..happy life. Did you see the financial info in the original post? I'm upside down in the sport by $3k and the base 2018 rubi is $41k including tax paid on the $9k trade difference. I could kick in $3k to pay for the amount the sport is underwater and finance $41k for the rubi at $3.4%. That would put monthly payment about $100/month more for rubi.
well, that's pretty much your call if you can get the Base Rubicon. It doesn't sound like its that much of an increase.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
well, that's pretty much your call if you can get the Base Rubicon. It doesn't sound like its that much of an increase.
Rubi buy options:
1. Finance whole deal at $44k- includes trade difference added with no money down($1500/yr more than sport if I finance the trade difference + rubi)

2. Finance $41k + put down $3k- $1200 more per year to have a jeep with d44 axles, e-lockers, 4.10 gearing and start over with sound system at later date.(I would remove amp/sub/DSP) The other differences aren't as meaningful to me.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I would buy a set of Ultimate 60 axles (or Dynatrac) with gearing of your choice and e-lockers for the $12k it's going to cost to trade up to the Rubicon. You'll have better axles/brakes and keep the upgrades you already made on the Sport. Of course you won't get the 4:1 xfer case, but you can add an Atlas for less than the cost of the upgrades to the Sport (you'll also have an excuse to buy new wheels now). You're moving away from daily driver territory here, but it seems like a better use of funds given your current situation if you want a rig like this.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Another option is to wait a year or two and go for a used Rubicon, if you can wait. I would be hesitant to build it up before the warranty is up if its you daily driver, especially if you are doing 20k miles a year.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I would buy a set of Ultimate 60 axles (or Dynatrac) with gearing of your choice and e-lockers for the $12k it's going to cost to trade up to the Rubicon. You'll have better axles/brakes and keep the upgrades you already made on the Sport. Of course you won't get the 4:1 xfer case, but you can add an Atlas for less than the cost of the upgrades to the Sport (you'll also have an excuse to buy new wheels now). You're moving away from daily driver territory here, but it seems like a better use of funds given your current situation if you want a rig like this.
It's a daily driver that would have 33" or 35" tires... Dana 60s are way overkill.

I did read about:
New Mopar Ultimate Dana 44 Performance Axles (JPP Ultimate Dana 44 AdvanTEK)
Would keep warrantu and supposed to be around $4200 for both axles and offer 4.56 gears. Not sure if it comes with e lockers
Anybody know?

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Given your situation, I would not trade your Jeep in. Yet.

Here's my thoughts:

Daily driver vs off road king is a kind of slide rule. You start fairly tipped toward the daily driver side and it's great on road and does awesome off road. (It's a Jeep!) You off road more and find limitations so you modify this and that to slide the rule closer to the off road king. Now you get a less comfortable ride on road and more capability off road. Life is good.

Until you slide the rule too far over to off road. At some point you have a buggy that isn't street legal. It's a dangerous slope.

Fun until you realize you no longer like to drive your Jeep daily. Now you have to buy a second daily driver. lol

Most of the fun is in the journey. I'd say keep your Jeep and enjoy. Wheel more and if ever you ABSOLUTELY need lockers, look for Rubicon take offs that you can get for cheap. I'm sure you will find a few axle pairs for sale as the new 60's are made available to the Rubicon drivers who want to slide the rule more toward off road king...

Find a shop in your area and have them be on the lookout for you. Might find great deals that way.
Sponsored