Sponsored

Wiring Smittybilt 2781 air compressor to accessory 1 bad idea?

3illy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Granite Crystal Metalic, 2013 Harley Davidson FXDF
Hi there, just received a Smittybilt 2781 air compressor. The documentation for this compressor states maximum amp draw @45 amps. However, it also states it has a 30 amp inline fuse. Can I safely wire this to my factory accessory switch 1 which is rated for 40 amps?

As an aside; I tested the compressor out by using the alligator clips directly to the battery while the vehicle was at idle. Worked like a champ, this thing puts out air, fast. However, I am now noticing that the battery charge display on the information screen on the dash no longer shows 14.5 volts it always idled at. It now hovers around 13.5 volts without the compressor connected and driving. Any chance this compressor damaged my alternator?

Thanks for reading,
3illy
Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Use the switch to power a relay. Wiring a relay adds a few minutes to the install and $10. Also, recommend swapping out the Smittybiilt odd ball compressor fittings for standard air fittings. Toss the yellow air line in the garbage. Buy the Harbor Freight upgraded line. The HF Orange line can deal with the heat. The yellow line will easily melt.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Just wondering why you'd rather use the switch in the Jeep versus the switch on the compressor?

OP
OP

3illy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Granite Crystal Metalic, 2013 Harley Davidson FXDF
Use the switch to power a relay. Wiring a relay adds a few minutes to the install and $10. Also, recommend swapping out the Smittybiilt odd ball compressor fittings for standard air fittings. Toss the yellow air line in the garbage. Buy the Harbor Freight upgraded line. The HF Orange line can deal with the heat. The yellow line will easily melt.
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find some how-to's on that process.

Just wondering why you'd rather use the switch in the Jeep versus the switch on the compressor?
I'm considering hard mounting the compressor in the cargo bin and running the hose out by the trailer hitch. I think I saw a picture on this forum of someone else's like setup.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find some how-to's on that process.

I'm considering hard mounting the compressor in the cargo bin and running the hose out by the trailer hitch. I think I saw a picture on this forum of someone else's like setup.
On the high amperage side recommend a fuse from the battery to the relay. Also consider a 1 amp fuse from your switch gear to the control side of the relay.
Sponsored