Sponsored

Wiring repair or hack

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
My Jeep was new to me with 4309 miles. Finding new things after a year of ownership. Does anyone know what module is just coward of the security gateway and what might explain a patch job as shown in the picture. I need a pine diagram because to of the spliced wires have come apart. I’m not having any electrical issues but I’m certain disconnected wires are not good.

2B846432-7CBA-4092-8AD0-03F0D7BB8D57.jpeg
Sponsored

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
You have the 8.4 with Alpine correct? I am guessing the PO had an aftermarket stereo and the hacked up the factory harness to get signal to the speakers. The Larger connector with all of the purple wires is the leads to the sound bar speakers and the sub. the smaller connector with the splices is for the front knee and dash speakers.

I would pop out all of the speakers and check the wiring there too to check and see what other shoddy work that they may have done.

EDIT: I just looked at your thread for the water leak...that spot you described is there for the clutch cable for manual and almost everyone uses that to get an entry point into the vehicle for Amplifier Power Wires.

They definitely had an stereo system in there of some sort.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I agree they had an aftermarket system in the vehicle, but I believe they were running the stock head unit. My best guess is they grabbed the high level inputs from the radio before the factory amp to run into an aftermarket amp. My reasoning is that if they ran an aftermarket head unit, it would've been much easier to just run RCAs to the amps.

OP
OP
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NorthernYankee / LSGuy

Yes 8.4 Uconnect with Alpine.

Thank you for your responses. Good information to go on, I have discovered the right sound bar is not working by simply moving the fader around to isolate speakers.... not sure why I had not noticed sooner. My 56 year old ears could not did pick up on any other speaker being completely none response. I know the right sound bar worked before, but with the hack job dangling above the foot well, I’m certain I’ve kicked the splices getting in and out of the Jeep. Two of the splices are completed pulled apart. I tugged at others and pulled one more apart, I could not discern with speaker was impacted. I patched the two disconnected ends one to the other and then swapped connections. I found one of those variables made the right sound bar work, but not a full range... more mid range.

I should look closely at each speaker connection, and I will. I’ve seen wire diagram on the forum (too many to sort through) could y’all point me to one that shows pins outs and wiring colors for the large connector... assuming there is one.

Regarding the leak. The dash plug did not fix the problem. Any other insights. Maybe the hacker folder the window down to work on from speakers and buggered up the gasket?? Any things I should look at?

Thanks in advance!

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
NorthernYankee / LSGuy

Yes 8.4 Uconnect with Alpine.

Thank you for your responses. Good information to go on, I have discovered the right sound bar is not working by simply moving the fader around to isolate speakers.... not sure why I had not noticed sooner. My 56 year old ears could not did pick up on any other speaker being completely none response. I know the right sound bar worked before, but with the hack job dangling above the foot well, I’m certain I’ve kicked the splices getting in and out of the Jeep. Two of the splices are completed pulled apart. I tugged at others and pulled one more apart, I could not discern with speaker was impacted. I patched the two disconnected ends one to the other and then swapped connections. I found one of those variables made the right sound bar work, but not a full range... more mid range.

I should look closely at each speaker connection, and I will. I’ve seen wire diagram on the forum (too many to sort through) could y’all point me to one that shows pins outs and wiring colors for the large connector... assuming there is one.

Regarding the leak. The dash plug did not fix the problem. Any other insights. Maybe the hacker folder the window down to work on from speakers and buggered up the gasket?? Any things I should look at?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure what leak you are referring to, you didn't mention it in your post. My advice to you would be to one at a time remove those butt connectors, solder and shrink wrap each wire set. Especially in a high traffic area where the wires can be kicked or moved around.

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I agree they had an aftermarket system in the vehicle, but I believe they were running the stock head unit. My best guess is they grabbed the high level inputs from the radio before the factory amp to run into an aftermarket amp. My reasoning is that if they ran an aftermarket head unit, it would've been much easier to just run RCAs to the amps.
I agree they may have been running the stock head unit or even an aftermarket one. They could have clipped it to get the high level, to send signal out from the amp to the speakers or both. No matter what its a hack job...a t-harness is only like $30. Fixing that the right way now is a PITA since they clipped those wires so short and there is not a ton of space to work in under there.

I would take it to a reputable car audio shop and they can fix that harness in a few hours...unfortunately its a common problem that good shops have experience fixing.
Sponsored