Sponsored

Wiring new rigid lights to the factory Aux harness, is it really this easy?

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I suspect this is a stupid question, but since I've never done any electrical work on a car before, I'm a little gun-shy and do not want to destroy lights or fry anything electrical.

With the harness plugged in to the lights, do I really just cut the wiring harness above the relay, and run the red wire to the appropriate aux cable, and the black to a suitable ground? This seems just too easy. Unfairly easy. So much so that I feel like I must be missing something. Someone please correct me before I cut a perfectly good harness, fry my lights, or damage something on my JL.

Thanks
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Your connection is everything.

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Yup that's it, but as previous poster said make sure connections are good (use connectors) and ensure the switch has proper amperage to support the accessory. Stole the below from another poster on the board:

Aux Switch 1 F93 - 40 Amp Beige/Pink Interior (passenger side under instrument panel) & Underhood (right side near battery)

Aux Switch 2 F92 - 40 Amp Green/Pink Interior (passenger side under instrument panel) & Underhood (right side near battery)

Aux Switch 3 F103 - 15 Amp Orange/Pink Interior (passenger side under instrument panel) & Underhood (right side near battery)

Aux Switch 4 F108 - 15 Amp Dark Blue/Pink Interior (passenger side under instrument panel) & Underhood (right side near battery)

Battery F72 - 10 Amp Red/White Interior (passenger side under instrument panel)

Ignition F50 - 10 Amp Pink/Orange Interior (passenger side under instrument panel)

OP
OP

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Damn, I guess maybe logic has prevailed and I'm not crazy. Thank you fror the re-assurances. Thank you guys/gals, Rest assured Neil, I wanted to use proper connectors, shrink tape, etc

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I suspect this is a stupid question, but since I've never done any electrical work on a car before, I'm a little gun-shy and do not want to destroy lights or fry anything electrical.

With the harness plugged in to the lights, do I really just cut the wiring harness above the relay, and run the red wire to the appropriate aux cable, and the black to a suitable ground? This seems just too easy. Unfairly easy. So much so that I feel like I must be missing something. Someone please correct me before I cut a perfectly good harness, fry my lights, or damage something on my JL.

Thanks
Thats it, and then in u-connect configure the Aux switch to latched and no memory.

Also get good heat shrink butt splices - raychem or Ancor. I think HomeDepot sells little packages of Raychem ones.

Avoid the cheap China ones as they will break down and leak over time.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Battery F72 - 10 Amp Red/White Interior (passenger side under instrument panel)

Ignition F50 - 10 Amp Pink/Orange Interior (passenger side under instrument panel)
?
are these just open on all wranglers ?
i was looking at splitting a line off of the dash cigarette lighter to power a gmrs radio but if that F50 tail is available that would be even easier.

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
?
i was looking at splitting a line off of the dash cigarette lighter to power a gmrs radio but if that F50 tail is available that would be even easier.
They were on mine, I used F72 for my CB

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I've never done any electrical work on a car before
route your wires but leave them full length until you know your connections are correct.

after you strip the all wires, just twist them together and use some tape to protect them from grounding until you make sure your lights work correctly. then cut to length and make your final connections (solder and shrink sleeve to butt the power wires and crimped terminal for ground).

Sponsored

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Planning on wiring a 12v accessory to the factory aux switches. Will be using one of the #3 or #4 15amp switches.

Any idea what guage wire would be best with either switch? 14awg, 16awg?

Do I need to disconnect the battery before wiring to the aux switch wire? (Sorry, I am a novice, still learning).

Thanks!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Battery installed is fine as long as switch is off......

Gauge really depends on current required and length of run.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
?
Yes, if you have the AUX switches.

jhawklive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Battery installed is fine as long as switch is off......

Gauge really depends on current required and length of run.
Thanks! I’d like to connect an SAE to Female Cigarette Adapter. First thing will be some low voltage LED christmas lights from the front of jeep to aux wires under hood. Lol (kids request). Then will just have the SAE connection for random stuff later. I order the stuff in 16AWG and 14AWG, not sure which one to use.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
For LEDs the 16 will be plenty. Normally you’d want 14 ga for a 15a circuit but in your case you’ll fry the LEDs before ever overloading the 16ga.
Sponsored