INKCHK

First Name
Raquel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey Everyone!

I am rather new at this but has anyone ever been told that the manufacturer's warranty is void after a lift has been put on a Jeep?

I have a 2.5 inch lift of my 2018 JL and apparently (according to the dealership) the lift is "directly effecting" the wiring harness. They replaced a module and another part under warranty but when they discovered the wiring harness is being "pulled by the lift and tires" they will not warranty it. I have had the lift on for over a year (installed by a certified MetalCloak dealer), and nothing was wrong. All of a sudden, in December, all these notifications start to flash across the dash, "SWAY BAR!", "SWAY BAR DISCONNECT UNAVAILABLE", "SERVICE 4WD". The 2H,4H,4L lights also flicker.

The first visit to Safford Jeep of Fredericksburg, I presented my problem and was told to come back when the issue got worse. I decided not to go back. So I went to Safford of Warrenton.

After presenting my issue to the service advisor, I was initially told that there are not many issues like this so that is why Jeep could not warranty the part. Then I was told that is was because I had a 2.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires that were pulling the harness. I tried speaking with the service manager at the dealership and he did not want to talk to me. When he finally emerged from his office (I could see him through the window) he just gave me a part number (for a harness that is 4 inches longer) and told me what it would cost to replace it (over $1000) and retreated back into his office before I could ask him anything.

The second visit to the same dealership regarding the same issue, I was told that because the Jeep is lifted in general it is directly effecting the function of the harness. The service manager, after not wanting to speak with me in the first place on my second visit, stated that if the Jeep was not lifted than I would not be having this issue and that is why it is not under warranty.

Has anyone else had these issues with the wiring harness?

Thank you for your help!

@JeepCares
Sponsored

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Do you have picture or can you share the part number?

Safford of Fredericksburg is generally good about lifted vehicles and Iā€™ve never had any issues from their service department.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @INKCHK,

Thank you for tagging us. You can read more about warranty information in your Warranty Manual here: https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ications/en-us/Jeep/2018/Wrangler_JL/9576.pdf

Page 12 states: "Certain changes that you might make to your vehicle do not, by themselves, void the warranties described in this booklet. Examples of some of these changes are: ā€¢ Installing non-FCA US parts, components, or equipment (such as a non-FCA US radio or speed control); and ā€¢ Using special non-FCA US materials or additives. But your warranties donā€™t cover any part that was not on your vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant or is not certified for use on your vehicle. Nor do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of non-FCA US parts, components, equipment, materials, or additives. Performance or racing parts are considered to be non-FCA US parts. Repairs or adjustments caused by their use are not covered under your warranties."

Darlene
Jeep Cares

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Who installed your lift?
The dealership might be correct. Pulling on the sway bar e-disco wiring harness is a possibility if it is not disconnected from the frame or extended in some way.
Sponsored