Sponsored

Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Did you change the light setting in the PCM to LED? You can do that with JScan or Tazer. Wondering if that might help. What about the lights themselves....do they flicker?
I didn't change any sort of programming. I wasn't aware i needed to. The headlights themselves do not flicker. The flicker is the Halos and only when the headlights are on. Its a weird problem and I'm starting to think it might be an issue with the light.

Update: The problem has gone away by itself. I'm glad but also concerned it might come back. Oh, well guess I'll see as time goes on. Thanks for the help everyone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ValorSolo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks for the write up and the links. I'll post my results when I attempt this upgrade.

kzsports

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Jumping in the middle of the thread. My experience thus far with 2019 wrangler sport s and first axial and then diode dynamics switchback turn signals. Using Flashcal, drl was amber. Only white when in parking lights engaged or headlights are on. I did use a resistor, across white/green wire and black wire. I finally gave up and got a different brand, also resistor added. Still amber id drl mode engaged. At least was cheaper. Side note, they all look the same. Probably come from same manufacturer, my thoughts anyways. I am gather that if I use the add a fuse method. I cut a wire, white/brown and splice the add a fuse wire into that wire going into the switchback? Why white/orange straight wire in and white/brown basically bypassing vehicles main wiring?

Also new to forum, have owned my wrangler about 8 months

RichardAK

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I did this mod using the Oracle 2443-CK bulbs and it works but the white lights are only 3W per side. I was hoping that they would be a little brighter.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I did this mod using the Oracle 2443-CK bulbs and it works but the white lights are only 3W per side. I was hoping that they would be a little brighter.
Yeah, would be nice if they were as bright as the ambers for sure!

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Had an idea and appreciate your feedback.

I'm wondering if anyone tried running a jumper between pin 5 and pin 4 on the Sport harness for DRLs with switchback bulbs? (Sorry if posted before)

I've already used jscan to program my DRLs to currently operate on pin 5 with a set of Aux lights (@8.2v) on my front light bar. Works perfectly!

However, I'm now thinking I want to try a fused jumper (with diode) between pin 4 & 5. Seems like this would provide bright white DRLs (w/switchback bulb) on the fender.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport Screenshot_20220622-071127_Office

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I understand why there may be no feedback on my post above. With endless DRL options, the odds are nobody else has tried this specific scenario.

I'll do some testing when I have the opportunity and share here.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I missed that post! No, I have not tried it.

wavw1954

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Altitude Sport
First great writeup and very clear. However I do have one question, I have my fog lights set as DRLs but would like to have the option through an aux switch for the fender lights. Has anyone used a diode connected to the fender light white wire w/ brown stripe towards the BCM and then tap in the power either from fuse or aux switch for DSL fender lights as an option? This would then have the switchbacks come on automatically with the lights even if not powered from another source

JeepMedic841

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Sport S
I know this is a (very) late addition to this thread, but it seems closest to what I’m looking for. I have a 2021 JLU Sport S. I got a Tazer. I’d like to activate the “dedicated” DRL wire on the fender harness. Yes, I know the stock parking/turn lights cannot do the separate DRL. I have been able to set the DRLs for the turn signals, headlights and fog lights without an issue. When I go and check the #5 pin with an incandescent test light, It doesn’t seem as if the dedicated circuit is on. Has anyone else had any experience with this? At some point I’d like to change out my parking lights or headlights with halos to connect to the DRL circuit.

Sponsored

Hd4cpa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thank you for the write up. I have Oracle Oculus Bi LED headlights and I already have a DRL wire to the halos this is connected to my Aux 3 switch. I also already have the Oracle switchback fender bulbs installed. I'd like to run the white light in the fender switchback as a DRL together with the headlight Halos. It seems like I only need to cut the white/brown wire trace at the fenders and tap into my Aux 3 DRL wire for the headlights? Please confirm.

Since I run the headlight halos 100% of the time, although switched in the dash (Aux 3), when the turn signals are activated does the Oracle switchback bulb just also turn on the amber LEDs which maybe overpower the whites which would also be on, or does the bulb deactivate the white leds when I detects power from both the white/orange and white/brown wire?

Thanks again,!

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler JL, Bronco, RAM TRX
First off, big shout-out to Rhinebeck01 & American Jeeper for their help & tips!

This DIY setup will allow you to run full time DRLs w/ active turn signal switchbacks on your headlights/fenders on a JL Sport. This will allow you to use your auto-headlight function full time, so no need to switch your parking light on & off to activate DRLs.

I used (and HIGHLY recommend) Oracle Led Fender Switchbacks (thanks American Jeeper!), these can be found at Oracles site or a bit cheaper from Vividracing.com or horsepowerfreaks.com These switchbacks have CANBUS circuitry built in and WILL NOT hyperflash or show a bulb-out display. They are plenty bright in the white and even brighter for the amber turn light. https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...switchback-high-output-can-bus-led-bulbs-pair

If you want to gamble on cheaper ebay bulbs be sure they are 7443 CK bulbs, they must have the CK socket, regular 7443 bulbs are the wrong polarity. And all that I've seen will require an extra resistor wired in so you won't hyperflash. By the time you add that cost into it you're spending as much as the Oracles for an inferior product, so just a heads-up on that!

NO FENDER REMOVAL NEEDED, just remove the one plug clip on the front inner fender and the 10mm bolt further back in the fender liner. A counter clockwise turn to remove bulb socket and PRESTO!

I have the Sii Turbo split-halo LED headlights w/ SUP-light adapter mounts. The mounts come w/ the JL to JK wiring harness adapter and the lights come w/ the 3 pin adapter and the CANBUS anti-flicker adapter. Luckily there's plenty of room behind the lights because you MUST use all three adapter harnesses.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781MXXXD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS7769Q

You must source a 12v fuse that's not being used, fuse #57 is a common choice, this is for heated seats, so if you do have heated seats you'll have to find another place to tap or be sure that both fuses are in the tap socket.

Micro Fuse tap, comes with two taps and 4 fuses, nice set.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ

You will use this 12v source to run into your DRL wire on your headlights (you will run wire down passenger side, tap to passenger DRL, run behind grill in front upper radiator area over to drivers side DRL) and splice off that wire to the white/brown wire on each fender bulb. You will cut the white/brown wire about 2" from the fender bulb socket (put a dead splice on the end going back to the fuse box) and butt splice into that wire.

For your turn signal you will use a T-Tap (best to keep it easy & waterproof) into the White/Green wire, again, about 2" up from bulb socket, you WILL NOT cut this wire, just tap into it. This will go to your Amber halo wire for turn signal switchback function on your headlight halo, mine was a yellow wire from headlight harness (if equipped)

You can run both wires from the fender into the engine bay through that hole in the fender liner, just shine a flashlight through that hole and you'll see how it can thread through. I taped the wires to the end of a long screwdriver and pushed it through that hole to route them through. You then push the wires through the fender liner so you can reach up behind the liner and get them back down to where the socket is. Hope that makes sense :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport Screenshot_20220622-071127_Office

I didn't do it since the DRLs are dominated by the headlights, so leaving them on all the time is no biggie, but if you want to be able to switch your DRLs off you can add one of these switches between the fuse tap & your DRLs and mount it in an area below your steering wheel in that extra room on one of the plastic panels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B86Z94

And the final video, going from Ignition ON w/ auto-light function (Engine running OR not running), then turn signals, then flashers, then auto-light off but headlights on, then wipers just because I was grasping for anything at that point, lol. Any questions just post up here.

Great write up with awesome details and photos!
Sponsored